• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Warhorse Hide A-2

alcon

The ELC Warhorse Hide Monarch A-2 looks great. What does ELC do to the HH to make it look old (time worn)?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
alcon said:
What does ELC do to the HH to make it look old (time worn)?

It's a trade secret ... to me it looks like part of the process involves burnishing the high points with a polisher, or low speed power drill, fitted with a sheepskin pad.

alcon

Thanks David. It probably won't be long before someone figures out the secret and starts adding the feature to their line.

Roughwear

Gary will not reveal the processes involved, but light sanding appears to be one of the processes. Nothing can beat natural wear to a jacket imo.

atkins

The guys at Club Obi Wan use sandpaper and acetone to catch the worn look of Indiana Jones leather jackets, some looks great and some don't. In my imagination Gary's worker put the jacket on a mannequin and Dremel the jacket. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Acetone works and alcohol works too. Alcohol has a milder effect.
The process is like an art, so if the 'artist' is not good, the result is not good.

Some people use fine sandpaper others use the hard side of the kitchen sponge.

havocpaul

It is indeed an 'art'. True wear occurs where the leather has creased and folded from the body's movements and then dirt, grease and abrasions happen around those areas in particular. Only by closely observing original jackets can this be seen and copied. When I have attempted it I use some rubbing with 'soft' sandpaper, stone, and much rubbing and folding with my hands in the appropriate areas. I then use leather dyes to mimic the staining from years of dirt and grease to highlight the grain and wear, before they dry I then add wear to those areas so the dye is not too obvious. An old jacket won't show wear in all areas, originals have staining usually around the collar and elbow and cuff areas and the part of the back where it would have had most contact with a seat. Pockets also often have more wear from use as would the shoulder/epaulettes. With the Eastman 'warhorse' and 'Time Worn' finishes it is best to see the individual jacket as variations do occur as anyone who has been through the displays on their stand at Duxford will have observed.

better duck

What strange people we are! We buy very expensive leather replica jackets, then start abusing them with sandpaper, alcohol, acetone, rubbing paint and dirt in them, hot water treating, then wringing them to make them look old. Some folks would declare us certifiable for buying these jackets alone. Better keep quiet about the "aging" process, or they'll have us locked away.... :D :D

atkins

better duck said:
What strange people we are! We buy very expensive leather replica jackets, then start abusing them with sandpaper, alcohol, acetone, rubbing paint and dirt in them, hot water treating, then wringing them to make them look old. Some folks would declare us certifiable for buying these jackets alone. Better keep quiet about the "aging" process, or they'll have us locked away.... :D :D

:lol: hahahahaha

Doug C

Um, the warhorse leather is not meant to be a distressed leather per-say, certainly no sandpaper or acetone etc - atleast I don't see it that way. I mean there really isn't a whole lot of distress to them if any. I could be wrong. To me they just represent a more accurate depiction of the leather found on some vintage flight jackets, leather that had lots of grain and fat wrinkles. I've been looking for a while to find a supplier of similar leather and so far this is what I've come up with :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do ya'll think of it ? This is a leather that I sourced and finished myself, but it's not distress in the classic since. It's hand finished, hand rubbed and glazed.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
Um, the warhorse leather is not meant to be a distressed leather per-say, certainly no sandpaper or acetone etc - atleast I don't see it that way. I mean there really isn't a whole lot of distress to them if any. I could be wrong. To myself, but it's not distress in the classic since. It's hand finished, hand rubbed and glazed.

Doug, the OP was asking how Eastman achieve the Time Worn affect to the Warhorse hide ... to me it just looks burnished, but they must be doing something to justify the price difference.

Price: £649.99 (Time Worn £729.99)

In the drop down size menu you will see there is a choice of 'New' or 'Time Worn'. Please CLICK HERE to find out more about 'Time Worn'.

CBI

I owned an original Monarch for a short time. It was a terific jacket with mint HH. It was simply too large for me and in the end, I was able to sell it back to the person who sold it to me. My memory of the jacket is pretty good and I can say that the Eastman hide looks nothing like what I remember.

Doug C

deeb7 said:
Doug, the OP was asking how Eastman achieve the Time Worn affect to the Warhorse hide ... to me it just looks burnished, but they must be doing something to justify the price difference.
Price: £649.99 (Time Worn £729.99)
In the drop down size menu you will see there is a choice of 'New' or 'Time Worn'. Please CLICK HERE to find out more about 'Time Worn'.

OK, but where are ya'll seeing pictures of the time worn model of the new Monarch in Warhorse? Burnishing would bring out a degree of shine I believe... while Eastman's description of it's "time worn" process sound more like pigment removal. Quote "The paler shades of the under dye can be seen subtly blushing through in various areas - just like an original." The link that I posted shows the new Warhorse leather but does not mention or allude to it as being time worn, which is a distressing process (though it's denyed as such) done after the jacket is made rather than before. Here's a more accurate link http://www.eastmanleather.com/Timeworn.htm ,(I posted incorrectly earlier for the purpose of disgussing the "time worn" process). I admit to being a little confused by the "new warhorse" and it not necessarily being the same as a "time worn" jacket - perhaps the OP was confused by that too ? I think the leather sample I posted is a fairly close look to what we're seeing with the new warhorse leather, but not the time worn leather. Sorry for my confusion and any I may have created.