• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC RAF Irvin: no pockets.....

wop54

Hi Everyone!
Id like to buy an ELC Irvin, but im a little worried about the lack of pockets...since id like to wear it often, how can you deal with the absence of pockets? Car and house keys, wallet, change...etc. All stuffed in your jeans or trousers? mmmh.. not very confortable, to me.... :? On the other hand i wouldnt buy a fake or modern Irvin with pockets....How do you wearing-Irvins-guys handle it?
Thanks!!!
Carlo

Jamesp

When I am at work and in my Irvin I wear cargo trousers, so I have plenty of pockets.

At the weekend, well yes I do miss jacket pockets and my jeans take the strain!

But at least, due to all my jackets, my wallet is now rather slim :lol:

James.

wop54

Jamesp said:
When I am at work and in my Irvin I wear cargo trousers, so I have plenty of pockets.

At the weekend, well yes I do miss jacket pockets and my jeans take the strain!

But at least, due to all my jackets, my wallet is now rather slim :lol:

James.
:D :D good suggestions!

asiamiles

I usually carry a bag, so lack of pockets is not a major problem in that sense, but if it's Irvin weather you might feel you wish you had pockets to put your hands in. Irvins were generally worn over uniforms so I guess it was felt their was no need for additional pockets,

Roughwear

I just use the pockets in my jeans, or use an original RAF shoulder bag to carry more things if necessary!

wop54

Roughwear said:
I just use the pockets in my jeans, or use an original RAF shoulder bag to carry more things if necessary!
May i ask you to post a pic of your bag plz? Thanks! Ciao, Carlo

Roughwear

wop54 said:
Roughwear said:
May i ask you to post a pic of your bag plz? Thanks! Ciao, Carlo

I will see what I can do. It's just a common RAF canvas bag, nothing special, but comes in quite handy to carry a water bottle and food at an airshow!

John Lever

Aero might do a custom Irvin for me that is one above the Eastman. As Gary just will not do a Merino for me.
Shaggy fleece, regular outer finish plus my own treatments. Baggy arms with tighter cuffs, AM zip.
I might sell my ELC Vintage Finish size 44 as new, soon. So let me know if you are interested. I'll be asking £300.

wop54

John Lever said:
Aero might do a custom Irvin for me that is one above the Eastman. As Gary just will not do a Merino for me.
Shaggy fleece, regular outer finish plus my own treatments. Baggy arms with tighter cuffs, AM zip.
I might sell my ELC Vintage Finish size 44 as new, soon. So let me know if you are interested. I'll be asking £300.
PM sent. Rgds Carlo

Jamesp

John Lever said:

This is very interesting John.
I believe with these adjustments Aero could just be the front runner Irvin?

Also interesting is that ELC will not undertake specials and Aero will. I asked both companies about a smaller collar on an Irvin (for motorcycle use) and ELC said categorically no, but Aero of course said no problem, just tell us what size collar you want and we will make it.

James.

John Lever

Jamesp said:
John Lever said:

This is very interesting John.
I believe with these adjustments Aero could just be the front runner Irvin?

Also interesting is that ELC will not undertake specials and Aero will. I asked both companies about a smaller collar on an Irvin (for motorcycle use) and ELC said categorically no, but Aero of course said no problem, just tell us what size collar you want and we will make it.

James.
I understand Eastman's philosophy, but as a customer it's frustrating. Aero are going to do a better shape on the arms for me, and perhaps a multi-panel configuration. I prefer their skins to the ELC ones used at present, and with better arms I think they could have a product every but as good as Eastman's.

Cliff

I agree John, with better arms and a elastic strap behind the collar that is going to be a serious contender for "top" Irvin against Gary's versions. I have an Aero Irvin and the fleece and build quality are superb it's just the sleeve shap that spoils it.

rgds

cliff

BONNIEGIRL4

I doubt it, The ELC Irvin is made as an original reproduction, not a customer driven personal mod. jacket. Just my humble opinion - TOM

Roughwear

IMO if Aero can get the sleeves correct and source the correct zips then they are in with a chance of producing the definitive Irvin repro. However one can pick up a decent original Irvin which can be worn on a daily basis for the same price as an Aero or ELC repro.

John Lever

Andrew, Aero use an AM zip. It does not have the box cup detail as on Eastman's, but they assure me this is authentic. Were there two different configurations ?

Hawkeye

I think its more accurate to say they use a zip with an AM on it, rather than an AM zip. Hardware, aside from the aforementioned arm shape issue, is still a bit of an issue with the Aero jackets. (Not that Eastman zips are perfect, far from it, but they clearly have put more effort into theirs than Aero has).

Roughwear

The correct zips for these mid war jackets would be Dot, with the slider bucket or Lightning. No maker has got their zips correct. ELC come close, but they use a Lightning style slider/pull with a Dot style slider bucket for the main zip.

I have an older ELC repro, which is possibly made from the fleece John mentioned. Were I to fit the correct zips it would be hard to tell it apart from a NOS original. I am not particularly keen on the more recent skins used by ELC. Often the fleece is too brown or the leather surface is thin and a little plasticy. That's why I sold my size 44 at the weekend!

Cliff

Yes I have the 1942 pattern ELC Irvin which appears to have an accurate pattern but the fleece colour is not really to my liking (though I confess it is actually improving with age) and I have an early pattern Aero which has a superb fleece and colour but poorly shaped arms.
Fortunately I am not so fussed about the zips as long as they don't obviously stand out as "wrong" .

An original would be the answer, but big ones are hard to come by and are usually expensive !

rgds

Cliff

John Lever

Hawkeye said:
I think its more accurate to say they use a zip with an AM on it, rather than an AM zip. Hardware, aside from the aforementioned arm shape issue, is still a bit of an issue with the Aero jackets. (Not that Eastman zips are perfect, far from it, but they clearly have put more effort into theirs than Aero has).
Apparently the buckle is a casting from a pattern made from an original.
The ELC jacket I have has a Riri zip. The box cup thing is a bolt on to make it look like an all in one.