• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Perry Sportswear mixed batch B-3

m444uk

John Lever said:
Oh no.....it's much more than that. A process converts beautiful shiny fleece into cotton wool. Washing ,baking ...? It's such a unnecessary process that ruins a world class product

Here is the sample before treatment

It's on par with other manufacturers like RMNZ.

This is how it changes

Interesting claim ? What about these 2. One is over 70 years old and the other put through the timeworn process...when the guy who does it was on holiday !
I like both.

CBsfqNWkKGrHqZiwE0GK3gWQBNItb3QGPw_3_2.jpg

vs
IMG_2064.jpg

John Lever

Two photos of SFAD skin one before the other after treatment. The difference is very obvious.
Rick Mayall bought a 50 cal from Germany and immediately returned it because the fleece was so poor, so it's not just me !
The collar in the first photo looks excellent btw.

m444uk

I once saw a bunch of ELC Irvins at the Museum at Duxford about 8 years ago. Not broken grain but they were all horrible. A batch of shearling that didn't have enough body in the fleece. Very soft and weak feeling with a nasty pink brown colour that was uniform and flat. The hide itself had a rubbery hand.

m444uk

So, what are they doing to some of the fleeces ? Heat gun to make it a bit more brittle feeling ? Or is it a trade secret :?

omarco

I wonder if they pre shrink the skins then? would be good to know as I always take into account a little shrinkage in my sizing decisions

m444uk

I think I said before when they first launched broken grain, they were possibly using an astringent to get the surface to striate. Also, that it means the hide might tear more easily. Since then things have improved and I like the shearling used on the .50 cal and redskin jackets although the skins can be on the thin side in places. Sounds like heat is being used as well :cry:

s4rmark

My elc perry B-3 in a size 40r measures . Armpit to armpit 23 inches, sleeve length 25.5 inches, shoulder to shoulder 20 inches, front length 21 inches, back length 23.5 inches.

omarco

anyone ever accidentally/on purpose shrink one of these...? I recon a size 41 extra long would be just perfect :)

TOMG1401

Beautiful jacket Andrew and that IS a perfect fit. But, I see John's point and always have, on all repro fleece jackets, the fleece does not have the very slight color variation's you see on some original B-3's, but the main issue that stands out to me and is obvious in John's comparison pics, is the loss of the natural "Shimmer" in the coat or we call it fleece but it is actually the animals coat. But this debate is ancient history here regarding the hides on all repro's - the chemicals used in all phases of tanning etc. 80 years' ago are illegal and just can not be done any longer, no matter how many - Warhorse, Victoryhorse, Real Deal, Time worn, Combat Clone, 50 cal. versions of hides are made, if the old methods could still be used these false attempts at reproducing them would not be necessary, IMHO

regius

Roughwear and John, did either one of you reviewed an Aero B3 before? Would love to hear the experts word on those.

John Lever

Not an expert just an enthusiast.
I have only owned one Aero B3. It was very well made and solid with thick yellow wool.
At one point Aero used a single fleece length throughout so the cuffs looked very woolly. They now follow the original specifications more closely and also have some nice sheepskins and good thick saddlery straps. Obviously Eastman have several models to choose from.

Roughwear

regius said:
Roughwear and John, did either one of you reviewed an Aero B3 before? Would love to hear the experts word on those.

I'm afraid I have not. I have never owned a repro Aero B-3 because they never seemed as accurate as Eastman B-3s.