• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC IRVIN OR NOT, and HOW OLD??

shiloh

Hello guys and girls,

I own an older repro 1942 Irvin (about 20 years old). I assume it's an older ELC Irvin, but it has no label. It has the chain and all 3 zippers are ELC repro lighting zippers and the belt looks very much like an ELC issue Irvin belt. The leather shows lots of broken grain and has some scuff markings at the front and some damages at the left breast and right shoulder, where the quality of the leather/fleece is IMO very poor. From what I know about Irvin quality, I think this was a second choice fleece/leather. I think the finish is too shiny from what I saw on the pics of older ELC Irvins on the VLJ forum.
It's a size 42 and fits me well.

Can anybody help me to date this jacket and confirm whether this is a very old ELC Irvin or another repro with ELC lighting zippers. There are no stitching markings/holes to indicate there has been a label sewn inside.

I know there are some experts on VLJ. So I really hope to hear your opinion.

Here are some pics.

Regards, Shiloh

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2086-1.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2095-1.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

[imghttp://i/i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww292/shiloh_020/IMG_2087.jpgo[/img]
IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

havocpaul

Eastman don't use Lightning zippers, they have their own representation of that style, also there is no zipper box on this jacket, my guess would be an Aero possibly?

John Lever

It's an early Eastman merino.
They stopped using that material because it tears easily. Shame it has holes as it would be valuable.

rich

Agree with John, it's an ELC. What a pity it's torn - should be repairable though? The labels are/were only lightly tacked on, and not sewn through the leather facing as on the B-3 etc. Your jacket has bags of character and I hope it lasts you another 20 years.

Roughwear

Yes this is definitely an early Eastman RAF jacket. It has the typical Lightning style zips and stopper box only used on Eastmans and originals. It could easily be repaired by patching or panel replacement. The sheepskin appears dry and could do with some conditioning.

shiloh

Roughwear said:
Yes this is definitely an early Eastman RAF jacket. It has the typical Lightning style zips and stopper box only used on Eastmans and originals. It could easily be repaired by patching or panel replacement. The sheepskin appears dry and could do with some conditioning.

Thanks guys,

Both the tears have been repaired with a piece of leather sewn inside, and stitched around the tears to prevent the tears from getting further or bigger. Not the most beautiful way but then again, it's my winter all day wearer and I use it sometimes on the motorbike. (1941 Matchless G3L). I didn'd mean the jacket has ELC lightning zippers but ELC lightning style zippers and it dies have a stopperbox. I own a few Airborne halfzip Denison smocks and must say the ELC zippers are very accurate to the Lightnings.

You think the jacket is worth a few bucks. I rather would like to have an older ELC Irvin like the one Andrew sold some time ago. But who doesn't.

regards,

shiloh