• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Irvin BIN 305.00 GBP. Size 44

John Lever

Personally I think Eastman have lost the plot on this jacket. The BoB is nice but I have serious doubts about the fleece colour of these. It too red.
Do any originals have bright red wool ?

Andrew

The attention to detail is nice but I have to agree with regards to colour of fleece, surface and finish it looks nothing like any original I've ever owned.

John Lever

Leadsky said:
The attention to detail is nice but I have to agree with regards to colour of fleece, surface and finish it looks nothing like any original I've ever owned.
The rot a set in about ten years ago when the colour went away from honey to red on the '42 jacket.

ausreenactor

Not just me then! I thought I might have been off the mark with this...and that pics look different to the
"real repro". I got my boots from Aero(fluked the fit with the last pair) and the WPG RAF BD on Monday.
While it was 36 degrees outside(in the 90's for you yanks) up here, still managed. The collar on the BD
does not allow a comfy fit. I think a sweater, the braces and trousers with the side cap will partly do it.
Just tormented as to the rank to attach. Thinking Flight Sgt RAAF Air Gunner. Deal with pilots daily and
do not have the attitude to wear a full wing!

Will post some pics when the ensemble is complete!!

Couchy

rich

To quote from the Golden Book........

"one can see the rich copper tones of the sheepskin, along with the true mid-brown of the lacquered outer."

I think the problem is their focus on what is presumably one example of an original, when we all know they came in a great variety of hues. The fleeces on my originals are different colours but neither is as red as this current Eastman repro. I've seen plenty of Irvins with a chocolate brown outer too. I wondered more why they've made the belt as short as it is.
I've only recently handled one of these - many thanks to John - and remain very impressed with the overall quality and workmanship.

Look forward to seeing you all kitted out Couchy!

John Lever

rich said:
To quote from the Golden Book........

"one can see the rich copper tones of the sheepskin, along with the true mid-brown of the lacquered outer."

I think the problem is their focus on what is presumably one example of an original, when we all know they came in a great variety of hues. The fleeces on my originals are different colours but neither is as red as this current Eastman repro. I've seen plenty of Irvins with a chocolate brown outer too. I wondered more why they've made the belt as short as it is.
I've only recently handled one of these - many thanks to John - and remain very impressed with the overall quality and workmanship.

Look forward to seeing you all kitted out Couchy!
No problem at all with cut, materials and workmanship. It's just a shame that they have moved away from the more attractive golden bear type colour to this russet wool which is also too short IMO. Older jackets had longer nubbly wool which was warmer and softer.

rich

No problem at all with cut, materials and workmanship. It's just a shame that they have moved away from the more attractive golden bear type colour to this russet wool which is also too short IMO. Older jackets had longer nubbly wool which was warmer and softer.[/quote]

I agree that the texture of the new wool seems inherently different John. Do you think that a few years hard wear might compact it into this more desirable finish? Or is it down to the breed of sheep? Guess there's only one way to find out.............. :)

Andrew

ausreenactor said:
Thinking Flight Sgt RAAF Air Gunner. Deal with pilots daily and
do not have the attitude to wear a full wing!

There were plenty of Flt Sgt Pilots too Couchy, often at the controls of Lancs driving officer Navs around, as well as fighter pilots, Beaufighters and Mossies too. Mainly Empire Air Trained guys and never got the gongs, pay or promotions of the Permanents.

rich

There were plenty of Flt Sgt Pilots too Couchy, often at the controls of Lancs driving officer Navs around, as well as fighter pilots, Beaufighters and Mossies too. Mainly Empire Air Trained guys and never got the gongs, pay or promotions of the Permanents.[/quote]

The RAF - Bomber Command at any rate - did not seem at all fair with the distribution of gongs and awards. I've read several times about the officers in crews receiving DFC's etc. but the Sergeants in the same crew, who were taking exactly the same risks, got nothing. Miles Tripp, in his superb "Eighth Passenger" describes how after his tour he was demoted to A.C.2 and posted among airmen who believed he must have gone L.M.F. Shabby treatment indeed.

jonnyboy

Is it possible that Eastman are sourcing a cheaper sheepskin? Maybe they're feeling the pinch financially. Or do you think that the more 'orangey' colour is intended as an improvement?

I've never seen an ELC Irvin in the flesh, but have seen and owned several originals, and even the more honey coloured ones were a lot lighter than the one flagged up by Hawkeye.

Jon

John Lever

jonnyboy said:
Is it possible that Eastman are sourcing a cheaper sheepskin? Maybe they're feeling the pinch financially. Or do you think that the more 'orangey' colour is intended as an improvement?

I've never seen an ELC Irvin in the flesh, but have seen and owned several originals, and even the more honey coloured ones were a lot lighter than the one flagged up by Hawkeye.

Jon
I understand that Merino is the premier sheepskin. It's used by The Few for example.
Eastman tell me that they stopped using it because it is too soft and several jacket just parted mid panel for no apparent reason.
IMO the present '42 jackets are a greatly inferior to the older ones in colour and fleece character. The Bob ones have always been better. When I ordered my jacket they made me a multi pattern out of the BoB skins by mistake so I sent it back. Wish I had kept it now of course.

Hawkeye

Its true, the older 42 patterns do seem to have either really red, or really dark brown wool, and on that particular jacket the finish does seem overdone. However I think ELC has fixed this. Both my 42 patt and James Pibworths were both ordered around the same time late last year, and the wool is nowhere near that red colour on either jacket, its a beautiful "teddybear" colour. The vintage finish seems different as well, it still dulls the skin but does not provide that dried out crackly look. Maybe ELC recieved alot of complaints and chnaged things around?

b-2009.jpg

b-2012.jpg

b-2022.jpg

jonnyboy

Hawkeye - your 42 pattern looks really good, and nothing like the one on ebay. As you say, it looks like Eastman have corrected this issue. The leather side of the sheepskin has nice grain too.

Am I right in thinking that Eastman don't make custom jackets? I've often thought that it would be nice to have a repro Irvin with a shaggier sheepskin on the 'body' of the jacket, with closer cropped sheepskin for the collar, as some originals have. I might be alone in thinking that though!

Jon

Hawkeye

Eastman really only does long and short sizing on their jackets, that about the extent of any customization. Occasionally they will experiment a bit and make some one-off jackets, like the black sheep Irvin or every once in a while some late-war jackets and throw them on the re-issue depot. For what your suggesting I would recommend going to Aero, they have a good rep for doing custom work, and their Irvins have improved alot in recent years, they are really nice.

Roughwear

I agree about the colour of the fleece on many recent ELC jackets. My much older Irvin is similar to Hawkeye's and is very close to originals. I have never seen an original with fleece quite the colour of the "brown" ELC offering. Yes many had a copper colour, but not this shade of brown. For this reason I sold my size 44 ELC Irvin, keeping the much older size 44. It's a shame ELC don't copy many of the mid War jackets produced by Wareings with the finer fleece for the collar, cuffs and hem and the shaggy, longer fleece for the body of the jacket.