• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Hartmann

Andrew

I bought this Hartmann on Ebay recently (I think the Seller is a member here). It's my first ELC and i'm very impressed. I've never really considered a LW jacket before despite liking the style so this is a departure. I was interested in getting a black jacket so this one looked perfect.

It's a near new 46 and I was worried it might be a little small- actually for once I managed to buy a 2nd hand jacket that fits like it was made for me. It is extremely comfortable, soft cowhide with a beautiful patina and the dimensions are just right- even the arm length. I like the narrow sleeves, high armholes, and trim torso with blanket liner as well so it's perfect for driving in the MG with arms outstretched and will work when I need the extra warmth. It's obvious why this pattern is so popular with Bikies.
I love it's not-so-Mil appearance and it's a keeper which will get a lot of wear time.

Hartman-1.jpg

Hawkeye

!!!!!!!!! oh your killing me! Alan emailed me today and said my Hartmann will be shipped out around the beginning of June. Looks great on you, perfect fit, I hope mine fits a nicely as yours does. I was watching that auction, glad to see it went to a forum member, and at a bargain price!

Hawkeye

How do you find the blanket lining? Is it considerably thicker than the cotton linings found on A-2s?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Brilliant jacket, Andrew, and a perfect fit. I don't believe it though, I would never have picked you as a Hartmann guy ... yet it looks great. I want one now, but in brown.

So what's next with the new look? A nice little SL in silver?

John Lever

deeb7 said:
Brilliant jacket, Andrew, and a perfect fit. I don't believe it though, I would never have picked you as a Hartmann guy ... yet it looks great. I want one now, but in brown.

So what's next with the new look? A nice little SL in silver?
I did until I got the brown sample.
Ugh !

CBI

Looks great - congrats - I almost bid on it. Glad it went to a good home!

Andrew

Thanks Chaps. I have to admit i'm a little surprised by it, and yes Dave it's a bit wierd for my interests but it is a repro- personally would never delve into that other world... (Peter it must be a bit close to home for you). It's a great cut and in many ways more practical than an A-2, but the mix and match pockets and funny belt-let make you wonder. The really good thing is I think widening the scope will make me appreciate my other types a lot more. It's good to have a change occasionally. I can blame Hawk for sparking my interest....so thanks!

Harrison, the blanket's pretty thin so it's not at all uncomfortable, and it's not in the sleeves. It was ranging about 16-20degC today, driving was obviously cooler but it never felt hot in the jacket. Funny, I think that unlike the A-2 which gets better the more beaten up it is this one needs to keep its crisp lines to stay looking its best. The steer is soft and I wonder what it will look like in time and whether they might keep a sharper appearance if it were made of HH.

Yes it was quite cheap, unfortunately for the seller who is a top bloke but selfishly I was pleasantly surprised. Had to get lucky one day.

A

Anonymous

Well done Andrew a perfect fit and a sharp looking jacket .

All the best Jeff

CBI

I have always been a little affraid of getting one of these as its very "biker/moto" looking. Certainly from the general public's perspective and I am not sure its the look for me. But, it does look really cool and it was a good buy as I recall. Again - congrats.

rich

Erich Hartmann - 352 kills! Kept banged up by the Soviets till 1955...................

Great jacket Andrew, first time I've seen one with some wear.

CBI

I asked John Chapman if would be making a Luftwaffe jacket but its not in his current plans. He does have a new civi-moto jacket that looks GREAT!!!!!

better duck

Leadsky said:
Peter it must be a bit close to home for you.
First time right there! Strange though, I even have a German friend who, as a child, cowered in the cellars of his parents home in Munich when the 8th Air Force came to visit. I met him at the Flying Legends airshow at Duxford, and he is ever so interested in our A2s. But still, somehow, I don't want to be seen dead in a German WW2 flight jacket, even if it's only a repro. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good jacket and a good fit if I see them, so the congratulations still stand firm!

Hawkeye

better duck said:
I don't want to be seen dead in a German WW2 flight jacket, even if it's only a repro. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good jacket and a good fit if I see them, so the congratulations still stand firm!

The good thing about the Hartmann, and most if not all of the black leather jackets worn by the Luftwaffe is that they were privately purchased, not issued, so they are not strictly a Nazi jacket, if thats what you are concerned about. You could easily remove the Hartmann label and enjoy it for what it really is, a repro of a late 1930s, early 1940s French cycle jacket.

bob capa

Gday Andrew

im looking at a ELC hartmann. I have a RMNZ Rough Wear A-2 in a 44. So im thinking a 44 in the hartmann. You said the 46 hartmann fits you well, what size are you in an A2 if you have one? as ive heard the hartmanns can be a little different in sizing.

cheers

ausreenactor

Andrew!

Velcome to zee Hartmann Appreciation Society. My civvie mates raise an eyebrow and give a sideways glance to the A-2's, B-10's and L-2A's but they loved the ELC Hartmann unanimously. And with good reason. Trim fit, good hide. I really regret offloading the 44 I had. Given that Toowoomba winter is starting now? I could not put an Iron Cross and shoulder boards on it. Picked up the Summer Jacket in it's stead and thought I picked up the Chinese version of the Luftwaffe jacket cheaply. However a month in no sign of the jacket, despite paying GBP65 for DHL shipping. No response from Seller and commenced the Paypal claim/dispute for the first time. There is a 40 Hartmann on the ELC guestbook but I think a 42 would be perfect. Well done..

Couchy

Andrew

bob capa said:
Gday Andrew

im looking at a ELC hartmann. I have a RMNZ Rough Wear A-2 in a 44. So im thinking a 44 in the hartmann. You said the 46 hartmann fits you well, what size are you in an A2 if you have one? as ive heard the hartmanns can be a little different in sizing.

cheers

Hey Bob, sorry I just saw this. I'm 6'2" and 94kg not a heavy build and I wear the following jackets;
RMNZ Dubow 48- it's a good fit but generous
GW United SL 46- trim
GW Dubow 48- pretty much perfect.
Hartmann 46- perfect fit.
Original Aero 21966 44- Can wear it but it should be a 46
Original Perry 48- body very roomy arms just right.

My problem is always the arm length, but I would think that a 44 would be right for you.