• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC DVD

A

Anonymous

Well, I received this the other day and immediately put it on the comp' to have a butchers at it.

I've read some comments already on here that it is a great DVD. Are we talking about the same DVD. I think that it is a bit of a rip-off at a tenner. There's a chapter with a bit of ELC history and the making of a B3. The B3 part was very interesting. But the interviews with some of the vets were an obvious sales plug and somewhat stilted. Funny though that one of the vets talked about the fact that to him it was just a bit of clothing that has subsequently made iconic !

It would have been nice to see more of Gary's collection and to talk in true anorak fashion about the subtle differences in makers etc. That's what we are interested in, non ?

Am I alone i this opinion ? Is it a case where we are so starved of good, fresh jacket info' that we overrate what little we get ?

J_H

269sqnhudson

I like ELC, have been a punter for 11 years but I also felt this about the 'Golden Book' when it came out. Paying for a flashy add is a bit of a swizz isn't it?

better duck

JACKET_ HEAD said:
But the interviews with some of the vets were an obvious sales plug and somewhat stilted. Funny though that one of the vets talked about the fact that to him it was just a bit of clothing that has subsequently made iconic !

I agree with everything you say in your post, but what I noticed most is the quote above: I also found the interviews with the vets very informative, but in a different way than meant by the makers of this DVD. In another post I already commented on the vets' tales about their flight jackets: they sounded rehearsed, not sincere and not at all convincing. Isn't one of them actually saying an A2 was a perfect jacket to keep warm in the sub-zero temperatures at altitude?? Come on! The one you quote I noticed too, and that quote, together with the amateur acting of the vets (for whom I of course have the very highest respect!) indicates once again that we make a hell of a lot more fuss about these flight jackets than the vets ever did when they were young and fighting...

All in all, I still like the DVD and I don't consider it a rip-off at ten quid. It is professionally and beautifully made, a lot of effort was put into it, and that shows. It obviously is targeted at a different kind of customer than most of us on VLJ are. But there is some nice footage of Flying Legends, the making of the B3 is fascinating stuff: ah well, I enjoyed watching it.

havocpaul

It was released to replace the old Golden Book and therefore is quite rightly an advertising tool first and foremost. For impartial and detailed study of flight jackets there is John Chapman's cd, currently the definitive reference on the subject. No one is forced to buy the ELC dvd and their website leaves no doubts as to what the content is; as it stands it is an interesting watch and a quality production.

jacketimp

maybe gary likes to keep his private collections private.

not everyone is in the habit of parading their collections, nest'ce pas?

Roughwear

The DVD is as Paul says a piece of advertising, but with interesting historical features. I am not sure it really replaces the Golden Book as it does not show the ELC range. This of course can be seen on their website. There are details in the Golden Book, such as the different zips and pictures of originals/wartime photos etc ...which are only featured there. An expanded Golden Book would be well received.

havocpaul

There apparently won't be another Golden Book due to costs, the website is regularly updated when new/re-issue stock is added.

Aviator

Hi,
I don´t want to open another thread so allow me to ask here.
Does anybody know, what piece of music Eatsman used in their DVD trailer on their website? I think it´s on the DVD as well. It sounds familiar but I don´t know what it is. A movie theme maybe?
I hope someone can tell.

Regards
Sven

Hawkeye

mazeta said:
ELC should include a free a copy of that DVD with any new (non-sale page) jacket purchase.

They do, I got one when I bought my Irvin from them. Nice DVD when it comes free with the jacket but after having seen it I wouldnt pay 10 pounds for it on its own.

mazeta

Hawkeye said:
mazeta said:
ELC should include a free a copy of that DVD with any new (non-sale page) jacket purchase.

They do, I got one when I bought my Irvin from them. Nice DVD when it comes free with the jacket but after having seen it I wouldnt pay 10 pounds for it on its own.
Thanks for letting me know. I have a ELC that should be arriving soon so I look forward to seeing that video.

ties70

Hawkeye said:
mazeta said:

I didn't get one when I bought my ELC Werber six weeks ago....Have you explicitly asked for a fee DVD?

Ties

wop54

Have you explicitly asked for a fee DVD?

Ties[/quote]
I have. Then they forgot to add the DVD in the box :( i emailed Gary and he sent one in couple of weeks (free :) ) I think that if u tell Gary he'll be happy to send one to you. Cheers, Carlo

Curahee

John Lever said:
I have bought four jackets in the past 12 months and no DVD for me... :(

Ah yes...but did attend one of the "Diamond Geezer" show's ? and did you sang on stage with your pants down ? :cool:

Pete17

I finally got around to getting the DVD the other day. Excellent service I must say.
It made it's way downunder in no time.

I quite liked the DVD and reckon it's money well spent - just for the interviews alone.
The DVD is sold as a marketing tool and fulfills its purpose.
The only improvement I'd make is a brief look at all the jackets they make with a quick historical narration on each.

Take Care.