• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC CABLE RAINCOAT A-2

Grant

Here's a couple photos of a goatskin ELC sz. 42 Cable after a year of wear. Compared to the ELC Werber it has more room in the shoulders and torso. Grant
cablefront.jpg
cableback.jpg

A

Anonymous

Very nice jacket- good fit! Sadly- for me- the collar/windflap/lining intersection betrays it as an Eastman- original Cables and 27753s usually had collars which started in the middle of the windflap- not behind it. My OCD wouldn't get past that. Looks great however- your build is similar to typical WW2- A-2s fit you well!
thIM003164.jpg

vs.

cablefront_1.jpg

dujardin

nice jacket, looks nice on you.
one think is ''wrong'' for me; your haircut is not under reglementary rules. :lol: :lol: :lol:

byeeeeeeeee marcel

Chandler

Was the hide always that dark? I like the shade, but I thought Cables were more of a caramel color (yeah, I know - different screens and computers and all) -- old urban legend?

Chandler

Falcon_52

This is the goatskin version, right? I know there are a few of these floating around that Eastman did in horsehide (early on I think) but this one appears to be goatskin to me. Anyway, it looks just like an A-2 is supposed to. I also like the long cuffs on it :shock: - looks just like a lot of those original A-2s. Very nice!

Noel

Grant

Here are measurments (it's a standard sz. 42):

front arm pit to arm pit - 22"
sleeve length from shoulder seam to end of knit - 24 1/2"
back shoulder to shoulder - 18 1/2"
back length from collar seam to bottom of knit waist - 25"

Yes, it's goatskin - the hides used vary is thickness and grain.

Yes, that's the original color. Like any original A-2 there were varations in color and type of hide used throughout a given contract. I've seen original Cables made from both horse and goat in a variety of shades of brown so once again there are no absolutes.

better duck

rotenhahn said:
(....) original Cables and 27753s usually had collars which started in the middle of the windflap- not behind it.
Rotenhahn: isn't the operative term in this sentence "usuallly"? Of course ELC would try to offer a "typical" Cable, but even if only 20 or 10% of Cables had the ELC way of starting the collar behind the windflap, it would still be a correct representation of a Cable, wouldn't it.

Anyway, I think the jacket looks grand on Grant, although I concur with the opinion as to your haircut not being period. ;)

Andrew

The jacket looks like an original to my undeveloped eye, and Grant's hair is cool- i'm sure we are all just a little jealous most of us no longer sport a mop like that. :)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
That Eastman looks great, it's absolutely the perfect fit.

And with those measurements, the sizing is similar to RMNZ in a 42. The main difference is in the sleeve length, I would usually wear at least an inch longer.

Eastman jackets usually measure short in the sleeve for my chest size, but on Grant, the sleeves are also perfect. I'm 6', he looks taller ... now I'm puzzled.

shanghai joe

Leadsky said:
The jacket looks like an original to my undeveloped eye, and Grant's hair is cool- i'm sure we are all just a little jealous most of us no longer sport a mop like that. :)

those were the days...........when we had hair down to our eyebrows :lol:

Grant

yeah, i'm way overdue for a haircut. when it gets hot here in NYC i usually get it all chopped off.

A

Anonymous

getter duck:
Rotenhahn: isn't the operative term in this sentence "usuallly"? Of course ELC would try to offer a "typical" Cable, but even if only 20 or 10% of Cables had the ELC way of starting the collar behind the windflap, it would still be a correct representation of a Cable, wouldn't it.

I doubt even 10% of Cables had the collar start behind the windflap-(although I'm sure someone will post a photo of ONE Cable with this characteristic :) it's happened to me before with the Aero covered collar snaps imbroglio!)- it's a Cable thing to start the collar well into the windflap. However 100% of Eastmans have the simple "X" intersection of windflap/collar/zipper/lining- thus immediately my eye tells me "Eastman". I don't understand this 'correction"- why not just copy the originals? Why the skinny epaulets on RMNZ Dubows? Why the round collar tips on RMNZ Roughwears? Why the wide pocket spacing on so many repros? Why the folded over epaulets on Lost Worlds? Why copy a characteristic that only the aberrant original would have? When I get a repro with a detail like that I spend hours looking through books and on the net trying to find a similar original. It drives me and my OCD brain nuts! I'd rather have a house Eastman than an inaccurate contract copy. Sorry to disturb the "Nice Repro!" rule around here... 2 more Cable collars:
collar_details-2.jpg

collar_details-1.jpg

Grant

Thanks for posting more photos of what I assume is an original Cable. Looks like ELC has the correct stitching on the epaulets and the collar shape is a dead on match. The color of the hide is also a close match to my repro - very cool. However, it looks like they could make an improvement by changing the nipple snaps and the zipper placement, that seems to bother you so much, looks like it could be moved in slightly from the windflap. Overall it's a fine repro of the Cable contract and IMHO fits very much like an original. BTW, good luck with your OCD - I hear there are good meds out there that can help.

Grant

perrins57

rotenhahn said:
Why copy a characteristic that only the aberrant original would have?
Perhaps the repro makers are copying the original USAAF specs, not the variations that the original manufacturers produced. Granted if you are making a copy of a particular contract, you should copy it warts and all.
Anyway I know its been said before, but, unless you have the build of a WWII pilot, no jacket repro OR original will look "original" on you! I weight train and have a V shape, I couldn't wear a straight bodied A-2, so thank goodness for modern tapered repros!

A

Anonymous

You have to hand it to Rote though, he has one hell of a good eye for detail !!

And I miss his 'bah humbug' attitude - really I do. I always like playing the Devil's Advocate myself but regarding flight jackets I don't have the knowledge to argue for and against with any authority or conviction :(

I should start a 'Bring Back Rote' campaign.

Dave