• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 1942 Irvin re-launch

Roughwear

It does look good, with a decent thick fleece. I would like to examine one in the flesh before passing final judgement on it.

I notice Gary has posted the iconic picture of F/O Taylor and his Liberator Crew with their Irvins. It's a shame it's a reversed image!

Andrew

Roughwear said:
I notice Gary has posted the iconic picture of F/O Taylor and his Liberator Crew with their Irvins. It's a shame it's a reversed image!
That's a mistake Bloody cap badges are reversed! 'S'not a Lib though, possibly a Fortress (Coastal Command?). Tail dragger and no superchargers on the engine nacelles.

Oh, and yes the jacket leather's not that impressive.

rich

Andrew said:
That's a mistake Bloody cap badges are reversed! 'S'not a Lib though, possibly a Fortress (Coastal Command?). Tail dragger and no superchargers on the engine nacelles.

Oh, and yes the jacket leather's not that impressive.

Well spotted that man! It does look to be a Coastal Command B-17, but now I'm wondering why the crew don't have yellow hoods? I recognise that photo from the Golden Book, I think ELC use it to show the copper-red fleece is a justified variant and not just a figment of their imagination!

The re-launched jacket looks very much like the old one to me though, except it's (inevitably) more expensive.

Cliff

I agree, the jacket appears to be identical to the previous product but with a different finish to the sheepskin. Maybe we/I were seeking more than ELC were actually planning in their "re-launch". After all ELC seem to be playing down the re-introduction of the 1942 pattern as its not listed under their "Latest Additions" section, nor has it replaced the Roughwear A2 on their Homepage.
rgds
Cliff

rich

Cliff said:
I agree, the jacket appears to be identical to the previous product but with a different finish to the sheepskin. Maybe we/I were seeking more than ELC were actually planning in their "re-launch". After all ELC seem to be playing down the re-introduction of the 1942 pattern as its not listed under their "Latest Additions" section, nor has it replaced the Roughwear A2 on their Homepage.
rgds
Cliff

They're just trying to sneak it out the back door before John Lever notices....... :D :D :D

Good luck with the Merino Cliff, like buses those jackets..........

Peter Graham

rich said:
It does look to be a Coastal Command B-17, but now I'm wondering why the crew don't have yellow hoods?
Rich, put your feet up, crack open a beer and watch that Coastal Command DVD I sent you. You'll notice that none of the Sunderland crew had CC Irvins, just the standard RAF type.

John Lever

rich said:
Cliff said:
rgds
Cliff

They're just trying to sneak it out the back door before John Lever notices....... :D :D :D

I noticed.... won't be buying one though for obvious reasons.

rich

Peter Graham said:
Rich, put your feet up, crack open a beer and watch that Coastal Command DVD I sent you. You'll notice that none of the Sunderland crew had CC Irvins, just the standard RAF type.

Yes, you're absolutely right Pete, I'd seen it and forgotten about their jackets. I'll do some grabs soon-ish............. maybe in a new thread. Just the one beer though........... :(

rich

John Lever said:

I didn't think so John! Only teasing............ ;) And like you, I reckon I can bump along quite well without another one of these.

Roughwear

Oops, I thought "Fortress" but for some reason wrote Liberator! Must have been a senior moment. :oops: The picture is of Fg Off L.W. Taylor and crew before No 220 Squadron's FL462/"W" Fortress IIA in Benbecula, May 1943. Taylor wears the darker uniform of the RAAF.

Cliff

John Lever said:
rich said:
Cliff said:
rgds
Cliff

Well I no longer need to continue to look for the Nirvana of Irvin repros as I bought John's 20 year old ELC Irvin at the weekend and its everything I was looking for in an Irvin, the colour, the skin sheen, the fleece length, the condition, the fit and the quality. My quest is over! I have my perfect Irvin. Thank you John.

Except of course that ELC have just launched this http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastman ... 265011.stm Now why oh why did they want to do a thing like that for !!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Roughwear

I do like the new jacket. I saw it at Duxford last year and was impressed then. The fleece is very authentic looking and I like all the details apart from the zips. A Lightning main zip and FF, FS or N marked sleeve zips were generally used on late war Irvins. BTW many were made from surplus Irvin trousers. Shame ELC have not stockpiled trousers to make jackets from!! ;) The price is way too high. You can buy a really good original for much less than £695, and I don't mind that an airman may have sweated in it 65 years ago!

John Lever

Roughwear said:
I do like the new jacket. I saw it at Duxford last year and was impressed then. The fleece is very authentic looking and I like all the details apart from the zips. A Lightning main zip and FF, FS or N marked sleeve zips were generally used on late war Irvins. BTW many were made from surplus Irvin trousers. Shame ELC have not stockpiled trousers to make jackets from!! ;) The price is way too high. You can buy a really good original for much less than £695, and I don't mind that an airman may have sweated in it 65 years ago!
Andrew,
Airman did more than sweat in Irvin trousers.

Roughwear

Now John, what else did they do in their flying trousers? Do explain. ;) :lol: So have you really ordered the new ELC 1944 jacket?