• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 1940 pattern arrived!

269sqnhudson

I just received my ELC 1940 pattern RAF sheepskin. I had to send back a size 46 I received as it was really tight and exchanged for a 48 which is snug but comfy. This is odd as I'm a 46 in ELC Roughwear A2s and even fine in a 44 Star or Cable A-2.

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow morning and some measurements as I know the sizing of these has been of some interest on the forum.

Regarding the broken grain, it really is a good finish. It seems to look thin and papery in pictures but it's actually quite substantial in the flesh. The Matt finish looks great, not pre-aged or anything like that, just nice and rich.

If anyone has any particular measurements they want then fire away. Again on size, I'm between 5'11" and 6'0" and the 46 I got first was too short in the torso. The 48 is half an inch longer according to Alan and fits fine. My only concern is that if I lose the poundage I'd like to it might be too big. Hopefully that's not too much of an issue with the RAF sheepskin, I can always pull the belt in I guess!

Tom

Andrew

Pls post away with pics and dimensions- I'm interested in seeing how the size compares to originals.

269sqnhudson

Pics will have to come a bit later, sorry.

The armpit to armpit measurement is 26 inches if you take the tape measure round to the side seams, ie, this is an accurate half-chest measurement.
a similar measurement at waist level is 24 inchesso if you take into account the thick fur I reckon it's very snug for a 48. There would be no chance of me wearing this over battledress and a few pounds need to go before I can get a jumper underneath (I'm a 44-46 in ELC A-2s)

I would be very interested to know how this compares to originals. I seem to remember someone having a size 6 that was 25 inches across but I can't find the info. I would love to see some original Irvin chest and waist measurements, especially from the bigger end of the size spectrum.

Tom

rich

Here you go Tom

Size 6
irvinmeasurementfor6.jpg

Size 5
irvinmeasurementsfor5.jpg

I think Irvins went up to an 8, but I've never seen one ........ Both these IJ's are mid-war and there are bound to be differences
between all the various contracts and manufacturers.

269sqnhudson

Thanks Rich, that's very useful, there's really not a lot in it. A size 6 was for a 40-42 chest wasn't it? Seems the Eastmans are undersized for modern wear over t-shirts etc. Fair enough I s'pose.

Andrew

Nice work Rich, i'd do the same but it's a lot of work! Maybe later.

In the meantime here's the sizes as compiled by Andrew S, and note this is from info taken off labels so it wont match the measurements of an original.

22C/317 1
22C/318 2 Height...5'4"- 5'6" Breast...34" -36" .waist....30"-32"
22C/319 3 HEIGHT 5' 7 - 5' 8" - BREAST 34-36" - WAIST 30-32"
22C/320 4 Height 5'.8/5.9" Breast 36/38" Waist 32/34"
22C/321 5 Height 5'10"-5'11" breast 38/40, waist 34/36
22C/322 6 Height 5'11 to 6'0" Chest 40-42 Waist 36-38
22C/323 7 Height 6'- 6'2" chest ? Waist?
22C/324 8 Height 6' 2" -6'4" chest 42"-44" waist 38"

I'm 6'2", wear a 46-48 in A-2's and can wear a size 5 over a T shirt but a 6 fits better.

Hawkeye

Any chance of getting some pics? I dont think the forum has yet seen photos of the new broken grain 1940 pattern (although we have been treated to pics of John Levers broken grain 1944 pattern jacket).