• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 0.50 Cal Type A-1 (44L)

Dr H

A very quick preview of a jacket that I've just acquired. Better daylight images and comparison with the current GW Type A-1 to follow.

This is a .50 Cal Type A-1.

CIMG2972_zpsb841bb95.jpg

CIMG2973_zpsf7801c14.jpg

CIMG2975_zpsc7b8dbaf.jpg

CIMG2976_zps954a56b8.jpg

CIMG2977_zpse7fbaeb9.jpg

CIMG2978_zpsbb586397.jpg

CIMG2979_zpsd9209f27.jpg

This appears to fit as a 44L, although it's not marked as such so it's very comfortable. More importantly from my perspective it has short arms so no remedial sleeve work required - wearing it now straight out of the box.

I've not had a Timeworn or .50 cal jacket before and I don't know quite what the ageing process entails (presumably some organic solvent washing, HWT and mild abrasion), but it is very convincing on this jacket, which is actually a cheaper re-issue.

The cape feels thicker and more solid (more body) than previous ELC A-1s that I've owned, but still characteristically supple.
The sleeve knits are tighter than any ELC A-1 than I've had before too - much better quality than heretofore.

I'm now angling to get a collar knit made up to a different profile to replace the current one, which is too shallow for my taste, but otherwise this is a very, very impressive product.

Better images to follow.

Dr H

No John, that's my fluorescent lighting in my office... :roll:
I'm going to work on this collar knit though, because if I had to grab one jacket in a fire this would be the one...
Mightily impressed - found my A-1... :D