• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC…a long time ago!

johnwayne

7834DF84-530F-415A-A7F2-CBEF8244C2CD.jpeg
Discovered some old Flypast mags dating back to 1986-8 with these ads!
B663AC72-383C-4EBF-BD9A-D74B8A2B61BC.jpeg

MikeyB-17

Yeah my first catalogue from them had those photographs in it. That was ten years after this, so they obviously got their money’s worth from them. A mate of mine who used to be a pilot says he first came across Gary Eastman when he was visiting airfields, selling his wares.

ausreenactor

Discovered ELC around ten years later. When you factor in the price increases of other things like cars, homes, LPs the current ELC A-2 prices are not that bad. As an Australian that would be $600 in 1986. They are $2000 now. The same price as a GW for me.

With the exchange rates... it is a better jacket buying climate now.

And we get a better jacket today from any vendor.

917_k

Frankly I can only congratulate Gary Eastman for taking what is ultimately a fairly niche product and developing it from a little obscure mail order business, with I imagine a limited customer base, to a high end and highly respected clothing business, known and worn by people across the world. All credit to him for spotting the opportunity and running with it. I can’t imagine when he started out back in the 80s that he expected to be outfitting Hollywood blockbusters either.

Credit as well for running a business in U.K. and producing the clothing here, rather than outsourcing somewhere else. It’s only a small business, but it’s contributing to the U.K. economy and keeping a bunch of people in what I imagine is a fairly decent job, earning I assume a decent enough wage.

Or you can skip past the above and my response is simply: “stuff goes up in price”.

P.s. the only new Eastman items I’ve ever purchased are the catalogue and the pin-up calendars.

mulceber

Well said, 917. Ultimately I don't think there are any 'wrong' answers here. A lot of the people complaining about Eastman's pricing feel like they supported the company through its early years. Gary then turned around and priced himself out of the market that had kept him afloat before (and for a good while after) Hollywood came knocking. Being angry about that is fair, but at the end of the day, that's capitalism. If you don't like it, dream up a better economic system - and please share it with the rest of us! :p

At the end of the day, brand loyalty is setting yourself up for disappointment. The brand will never reciprocate. What really matters is if you think Eastman's prices are worth what you get. My answer to that is generally "no." I think Bill Kelso, Good Wear, and Buzz Rickson offer better products at comparable or better prices. For that reason, I only buy from Eastman if they're offering something I can't get elsewhere.

But all the best to Gary. He wants to maximize profits, and I want to get the best jackets I can, so our paths will cross — sometimes.

Last edited:

Smithy

I have absolutely no problems with ELC charging what they want. If they can sell it for what they're asking then well played to them. They obviously must be because they're still in business.

Personally though, I'm a little sad to see their prices reach the heights they have. I LOVED ELC back in the day and wanted an Irvin from them for years. Got one in 2007 and still I love it. Sadly I couldn't entertain spending what they're asking now for what they're offering. My next Irvin - if I need another - will be an Aero.

I wouldn't buy again from ELC as I think (and before anyone kicks up a stink - this is just me) they're overpriced for what you get. I'm in the queue for a GW A-2 which is in a similar ballpark price-wise but my GW will be made to measure and to my specs and in a leather I choose. I don't mind paying that much for that kind of personalisation.

At the end of the day, well done if ELC are able to sell boatloads of their jackets for the prices they now command.

I'm just pleased that as punters we have lots of other options and at various price levels.

B-Man2

Well said Jan and Tim ……….. ELC has built their Castle ….. good for them . Many of us helped them build it financially, to some small degree, by purchasing their products .
I don’t see a lot of NEW ELC purchases these days being shared on VLJ by our members . Not like there were around 10 years ago . Most ELC jackets posted here are prior new purchases from years past or current pre owned jacket purchases . There’s something that’s telling about that small fact .

Last edited:

ausreenactor

According to this inflation calculator £176 in 1986 equals £442.06 today.
Cheapest ELC A-2 that I could find is £949.99.

View attachment 68286
Median house price in 1986 in London was GBP 55,000. Today - GBP 500,000. Almost 10 times over.

Big Mac 1986. 1.10
Big Mac today. 3.16 Nearly three times over.

Split the difference at 6.58 then multiply it by the GBP 175 and you get GBP 1151.50.

And in USD you get them for 1565 off the rack in the US. $16 over a GW.

And if you invested on Bitcoin this year you wouldn't be worried about ELC prices or Real McCoy prices. I am sitting at 25% up across Bitcoin, Ethereum and some altcoins. Will invest again with anything over a 10% dip.