• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Einstein Cossack speculators

John Lever

Noticed a few new in box sales above retail price on eBay. I don't think any have sold so far and so have been ' burned ' as we say in the antiques business. Not worth it.
Asking was 1200 GBP.

Persimmon

What a load of twaddle !!
Never mind the paddle.

With only 500 pieces made, the limited-edition reproduction of Albert Einstein’s Levi’s Menlo Cossack Jacket is now available. In step with LVC’s dedication to authenticity, and with the help of Brooklyn-based perfume house D.S. & Durga, they also recreated the scent of Einstein’s jacket: a warm blend of burley pipe tobacco, papyrus manuscripts and vintage leather. A bottle of this exclusive scent accompanies each jacket, along with a replica of the No. 97 auction paddle that was used to bid on this historic garment. “It’s the first time that I’ve had the opportunity to reproduce a garment that belonged to such an icon and a huge personality of the twentieth century,” said Paul O’Neill, Head Designer, Levi’s Vintage Clothing. “It was such an honor to reproduce Albert Einstein’s jacket. He’s a legend.” Paul also traveled to D.S. & Durga to help replicate that smoky scent. In what he likened to a mad-scientist’s lab, the teams landed on a fragrance distinctly Einstein. “It is based on Einstein’s study,” Paul said. “It is a nod and a wink to the whole story of the jacket, and we want to really invest in this story.”

Skyhawk

WTF!? A perfume that smells like Einstein? I thought you were joking but I went to the listing and there it is. No Joke! What a ridiculous idea. I don't normally post negative comments on other manufacturer's products but this one is just over the top IMO.

I wonder if they procured Casein buttons for this 1930's repro. It does not specify in the listing. At that price, they better have them!

So this was the plan? This is why they bid so high to win the original?
What a great idea! a marketing gold mine.......................Not!

Ken at Aero Leather

Part of LVC budget is allocated by the Parent Co (Levis) based on Column inches of press coverage, everyone knows 1" of news is worth at least 1/4 page advert
When they bought the $100000 Jeans out of the mine it generated $2Million's worth of Coloumn inches
I only know this as we were working hand in hand with LVC at the time

Skyhawk

Well there you are. That makes a lot more sense than selling Einstein scent.
Btw , I have been working on a new scent spray to apply to liners. I call it "Early Aviator". It is meant to make the jacket exude that unique smell of the courageous 1930's aviators.

MikeyB-17

Btw , I have been working on a new scent spray to apply to liners. I call it "Early Aviator". It is meant to make the jacket exude that unique smell of the courageous 1930's aviators.
What, whale grease and cod liver oil?

Skyhawk

Yes both great options.
I'm looking for the perfect blend of the essence of leather, fuel, sweat, oil and tobacco.
Just Kidding!;)
Just having a bit of fun. Still think it's a bit wacky to make an essence of Einstein cologne. Making the jacket is cool though. Looks like a decent reproduction of a historic jacket. Costly though.

Obscurator

Due to a slight mishap, my Eastman B-3 has a faint but persistent smell of engine oil (mineral variety). It gets stronger the warmer the ambiance becomes.

Smithy

leather, fuel, sweat, oil and tobacco.

My mate's old 3.8 E-type back home smells exactly like that.

zLeLCiy.jpg