• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay-Paypal Question

wop54

A couple of weeks ago I bought on Ebay a rather expensive item, with buy-it-now. Before I could receive the invoice from the seller, he sent me a message saying that if I had chosen Paypal as a method of payment, he had to wait a week before shipping as he had to cash the funds from Paypal, first. I didnt like it, reported this to Ebay and cancelled the transaction.
My question is: if the seller get the funds and leaves his Paypal account empty and something with the transaction goes wrong, will Paypal reimbourse the buyer anyway??? Was I too suspicious? Thanks in advance you ebay experts!!!

John Lever

I don't like the sound of this. Once you have paid with PP then the goods are yours. It sounds like he wanted to withdraw funds in an attempt to avoid a chargeback.

Has any one noticed that it is getting quite difficult to contact sellers to ask a question ?
Several times recently I have had to fill out one of those code type boxes.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
wop54 said:
... if the seller get the funds and leaves his Paypal account empty and something with the transaction goes wrong, will Paypal reimbourse the buyer anyway???

Yes, you would still be covered ... but the seller deserved to lose the sale.

ausreenactor

G'day!!

Some paypal users have restrictions placed on them if they have not linked a bank account, credit card or something else they dictate.
While on the other hand some sellers wait until are out of the Paypal account and in their account. Using Paypal as an Escrow of sorts.
IF your item were to go astray and Paypal commenced a dispute/claim process with the seller then the account would be frozen until the disputed amount was paid in, creating a neutral balance. If the seller had funds in the account they would deduct the disputed amount (for the full invoice). If the seller did not have a receipt to the Paypal Agreement standard for the country they reside in Paypal would choose in favour of the buyer. Thereby removing any financial liability on their part. They will go to great lengths to find in favour of the buyer at the seller's expense and save themselves some money. As Seller Protection would be voided. I had a Chinese buyer lowball a B-10 and eventually hit the BIN. I shipped the item Registered Post International. Paypal Australia's preferred method. Within 10 minutes of the $450 being deducted from my account I had low res & high res scans of both receipts attached to the dispute/claim. Received weekly emails stating they were investigating. Then I received an email at 1630 h on Christmas Eve! I had to fax a photocopy of the receipts within 72 hours or Paypal would decide in favour of the buyer. Having proven the delivery date 5 days before the dispute/claim I passed this to Paypal as well. Even though both myself and Paypal could verify with Australia Post that the Registered item had been delivered they were keen to take my
money. If you want to make an alternate income out of Paypal...... Make an eBay sale for an imaginary item up to US$1000, Ship a box, keep a receipt, have a friend make a claim. Keep the receipt and both of you will get $1000 repaid. Split the 'profit' I am sure many have done it with great success...Do it once a year up to the maximum benefit level as per the User Agreement. The system is flawed. I am sure the Nigerian Finance Minister has done it!!

Buyer is protected by Paypal and eBay now..you would have been fine.. Sellers face more of a risk..

Couchy