• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay 21 day hold on payment ???

Doug C

I've sold quite a bit of stuff through ebay, nowhere near as much as a lot of people but I've got a good feedback record and no negatives. So, now I just sold three items on ebay this weekend and I get a message (on one of them) that the paypal funds will be held for 21 days !! Damd, this pisses me off especially because I made specific instruction for the payment to be made within 3 business days (and it was). I feel almost violated or something... bullied at the very least - the message says something about I have to go ahead and ship the item, then wait for feedback or as much as 21 days for the money. Is there any way of getting around this? Any way of skipping this problem in the future short of cancelling my accounts with ebay and paypal? Others here run across this too?

Doug C

asiamiles

Doug C said:
Others here run across this too?

Someone else on here reported having this happen to them. It's absolutely outrageous what Paypal think they can get away with.

Doug C

I'd like to know what's the answer to it though.. I guess only to accept money orders for payments is an option - and only use paypal for payments (via your registered credit card). I mean I would think this thing would make sellers so mad that we'd start seeing many who would go.. "no, I'm not going to send the item and risk waiting 21 days". Maybe if enough people stopped offereing to accept paypal payments, that would help. I personally thought of contacting my buyer and explaining the situation and see if he could cancel his payment and have him send a MO. I mean if it bacame inconvenient to both the buyer and seller they'd have to rethink their stupid hold rule.

Doug C

khiattP-51

Same thing happened to me when I sold a couple of A-2s a few weeks ago. I was pissed like everybody else. The scary part is that a buyer could potentially screw you out of payment by saying that the item was never received. Especially, when shipping to a foreign country where electronic delivery confirmation is not certain. Thank goodness that the USPS system did track delivery all the way to the destination and both my buyers in Taiwon were honest and left me quick positve feedback.

My brother and I were just talking about this today. He'd sold a few guitars for some pretty good change and even though their rule says that payment will be released within up to three days of positive feedback being left, he didn't get his funds. So, he called them and chewed a Pay Pal customer service's rep's ass. They immediately released his money without a good explanation of why they'd kept it.

We came up with a pretty good reason why, they are making money on interest. Think about it, even though the interest rate isn't great, with all the transaction money they are holding on to for up to 21 days, that's a pretty proffit.

-Kevin

John Lever

Yes it was my big beef back then. I now have more than 100 positive feedback score so it shouldn't happen to me any more.
They do it on so called high risk items that are often fraudulently sold on ebay. e.g. Ralph Lauren, or Kalvin Klien. Could also be some WW2 type gear that may be suspected of being fake.
To ensure you don't get stung by your buyer, make sure you use PP own printed postage label. That way a record of the shipping is created and tracked automatically directly to the buyer and their signature. It's not the cheapest way though... surprise surprise !

Doug C

John Lever wrote:
I now have more than 100 positive feedback score so it shouldn't happen to me any more.
Well, I'm currently at 92... so I guess if I get 8 more positive feedbacks I'll be ok too? Do we know that's true for certain? Also, my funds were held on a pair of Vans shoes, hardly a rare item or anything that would be faked. But the thing is the folks that are new or fairly new to ebay are gonna see this as a very big draw back to using them - atleast I hope so.

Doug C

jacketimp

Doug C said:
John Lever wrote:
I now have more than 100 positive feedback score so it shouldn't happen to me any more.
Well, I'm currently at 92... so I guess if I get 8 more positive feedbacks I'll be ok too? Do we know that's true for certain? Also, my funds were held on a pair of Vans shoes, hardly a rare item or anything that would be faked. But the thing is the folks that are new or fairly new to ebay are gonna see this as a very big draw back to using them - atleast I hope so.

Doug C

were your items worth more than £50? they get you on that one............

Doug C

jacketimp wrote :
were your items worth more than £50? they get you on that one............

No, not even that. The one thing that was different with this particular transaction is that apparently ebay didn't automatically send an invoice to the buyer on my behalf like they normally do. The buyer requested a total (or invoice). Which was weird because remember I sold three items to different buyers at approx the same time, and the other two paid me and the money's weren't held (and eastman jacket and a pair of gap selvage jeans).

I know I've sold and bought lots of stuff where feedback just wasn't left by either party and I now notice that ebay doesn't offer any kind of a History link so that you can go back and request feedback from past transactions. I'm sure that most of the people would understand (that the 21 day hold thing sucks) and would be willing to help out... I know I'd be willing to do the same.

Doug C

John Lever

Doug C said:
John Lever wrote:

Doug C
ebay told me about the 100 score.