• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Irvin : BOB Model

fleet16b

I am looking into buying an ELC 1940 BOB version Irvin and will have to settle on the usual finish as Gary says he is not doing this version in "time worn- .50 cal " or whatever you want to call it.
Any advice from ELC Irvin owners before I place an order ...tips on what to ask Gary etc would be appreciated.

Just did a quick comparison between HPA and ELC

HPA = $1234.00 US = $1309.00 CN

ELC = $ 530 PDS = $930.00 CN

A difference of $379.00 cn

WOW !!!! Guess I know who I am ordering from.
Now that HPA is no longer with ELC, I had hoped maybe he would have a small sale to clean out his remaining stock but I guess not.

havocpaul

I assume therefore they are only going to do a '50.cal' type Irvin in the late-war finish? I haven't ever owned their Irvins but have seen quite a few and inspected them at Duxford shows. I would ask if they have your size in stock and then if there is any variation in finish, I have noticed slight differences on those I've seen. I know it may be costly but there is no substitute for speaking to them on the telephone as they can guide you through your order and requirements. Whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed with the jacket, good luck.

fleet16b

havocpaul

Thanks for the advice.
Gary has stated that only the late war Irvin will have the worn finish.
Have only spoken with him online so far but I will take your advice and phone him.

fleet16b

John Lever

fleet16b said:
havocpaul

Thanks for the advice.
Have only spoken with him online so far but I will take your advice and phone him.

fleet16b
Gary tells me that the one - off shaggy version recently at Duxford will not necessarily go into production.
I have a multipanel version in the dry broken finish and though I like it, I also like the shiny versions. I think the strict adherence to these recent dull textures may backfire as it is not to everyone's taste. I have some glossy soft skins with curly wool and they do look more attractive IMO.
Forget about asking for a departure to the models on offer, Gary will not do any custom work at all.

fleet16b

John Lever said:
fleet16b said:
havocpaul

Thanks for the advice.

fleet16b
Gary tells me that the one - off shaggy version recently at Duxford will not necessarily go into production.
I have a multipanel version in the dry broken finish and though I like it, I also like the shiny versions. I think the strict adherence to these recent dull textures may backfire as it is not to everyone's taste. I have some glossy soft skins with curly wool and they do look more attractive IMO.
Forget about asking for a departure to the models on offer, Gary will not do any custom work at all.

Ok, just go for the regular off the shelf version.
Sounds good to me.
I don't want any shaggy or dark wool etc Irvin , just the standard run of the mill BOB
Using it while flying will wear out the finish soon enough, if my RW 1401 is the measure.
Sent a pic of me wearing the RW A2 to Gary and he felt it looked like an original.
It's getting really worn looking

Thanks for the advice John L.

fleet16b

donsom

I agree with John - re: "..think the strict adherence to these recent dull textures may backfire as it is not to everyone's taste..."

I prefer to "break in" the jacket myself. "New" also offers at least some form of consistency as in your always getting the "new" look ... instead of perhaps ending up with something with a simulated wear look that you won't like at all.

Not all of us have the luxury (in some cases) of travelling to somewhere to view the product. Photos are great, ... especially if the jacket is used, ... to get an idea of the look. But ordering from a photo in a catalog is no guarantee of the end product that you will eventually receive (more so for the simulated wear versions IMO).

I have to say that I am also still looking at getting a "40 Irvin" pattern ... but I would rather buy used than new from Eastman .... simply due to the fact that I feel unsure as to what I would end up with now that they keep bouncing between styles.

That being said, the .50 Cal B-3 recently posted by a forum member does look really nice.

Just my 2 cents ....

fleet16b

Thanks for all the replies

I have decided to go ahead this week and place an order for the 1940 Irvin. Hopefully I will be satisfied with the product.
I will definitely talk with Gary to ensure a good jacket.

In case anyone has any other advice, here are my main concerns / questions for Gary

1) order 1940 Irvin
2) would like the fleece to be light honey coloured as possible and not too shaggy
3) can the belt length be increased 3-4 inches as feedback on the forum reflects that the belts area bit short.
4) Size - I take a size 44 in the RW1401 , does that compare? If not hope to work out my measurements with him over the phone
5) body length of the jacket- some forum feedback suggests that the body length is sometimes too short.
6) wait/delivery time

Anything else I should discuss/ask ???

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Good plan ....

You might have to live with the belt length, as Eastman don't like to make pattern changes.

rich

I think they'll add 1" to the body length if requested - but this may make the jacket non-returnable? If I could change anything, I'd make the arms an inch shorter - they reflect the originals here and are generous in length. But maybe I have short arms!

fleet16b

Looking into things further and talking with the Eastman people, I have been advised that I am a size 44 in the B of B Irvin. Order has been placed :D
Gary has concluded this based on my RW 1401 being the same size.
They further suggested that at 5' 11" , I do not need a long body version so I hope they are right as I do not like the look when it appears to be short bodied.
How does this all sound to you guys :?:
Do most of you Irvin buyer go for th estock size or do you go with a longer body :?:

Anyway just thought I would give you an update.
As everyone on the FORUM says "now the wait begins

FYI I will sometime soon put my WPG Irvin up for sale.
It is also a size 44 . It is in near mint condition except the bottom of the zipper is starting to fray them seem to do . It does operate with no problem but will need repair one day
They are $350 brand new so I will ask around $275.00 cn because of the zipper issue
I will offer it to the Forum members in the BUY/SELL section shortly.

Thanks again for all the replies

fleet16b

Just got an email from Rob Brace at ELC saying my B of B Irvin has been shipped on Oct 7.I placed my order on Sept 24th.
After hearing many horror stories about long wait times etc, I did not expect ELC to ship so quickly.
Rob thinks that I should receive the jacket early next week.
Will post pics when it arrives. Hope it fits well.

fleet16b

Well I got home tonight and my Irvin was waiting for me.
To recap: ordered an ELC 1940 B of B Irvin size 44 on Sept 24th and it arrived Oct 13th - 20 days to my door.
I certainly can't complain about wait time.
The jacket fits well but will taKe some time to get use to.
My WPG Irvin is much thinner and easier to move in but also floppier.
My Links original size six is about the same as the ELC size 44 but due to age and wear on the wool , seems thinner and roomier.
All together the ELC Irvin is the one I have been waiting for since childhood.
Here are some pics of at less than I hour old.
Let me know what you guys think.
P1000994.jpg

P1000995.jpg

P1000996.jpg

P1000997.jpg

P1000998.jpg

P1000999.jpg

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

Falcon_52

The wool color looks excellent and the fit looks good as well. I'm still not sure I'm sold on the "ultra matte" finish that Eastman does now on the Irvin jackets. It looks odd to me somehow. I do think that the grain on the sheepskin looks great in those wrinkly areas.

Overall, I think that the jacket is just what the doctor ordered for this early start to winter. I'm sure it will come in handy in the months to come!

Enjoy!

Noel

Hawkeye

Lookin good Cam, and I'm glad you didn't have to wait 3 months to get it. It looks roomy enough that you'll be able to wear a heavy sweater/flying suit under it, without looking swamped in the thing. And of course the more you wear it the more it will mold to your body and feel more natural. I look forward to seeing it in a few years time when its gotten the same treatment as your RoughWear.

fleet16b

Thanks Guys
I have tried it on with both my flight suit and with my 1936 Sidcot and it feels just fine with either one.
Tthe matte finish is not what I am use too either but the camera makes it seem more matte than it actually is.
I think that at the end of the season with a light coat of Pecards it will have a more natural look.
I'll do the "Hawkeye thing" ;) and try to take a few pics of me in it outside in natural light. May also put on my two different Sidcots also so that some of you guys can see what some authentic ones look like.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I've only ever seen pictures of the ELC Irvin, but the colours of this version are great .... much more convincing than some of the earlier examples.

That's a jacket that I'd be happy with.

Andrew

Your fit issue is the same as with mine- very bulky sleeves, but if I were to be using mine as you will be I think it's fine. The bulkiness will only add to the rate of wear in a cramped cockpit so it should look great in no time- i'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

I gave one front panel and sleeve of mine (left side looking at it) a light Pecarding but after two weeks it looks exactly the same as the untreated side- it made absolutely no difference, so you might just save your Pecards!

If you get time i'd appreciate seeing where the extra inches are in a 48 over a 44. The main diffence I found between this and the oiriginals is the circumference of the arms and the size of the underarm gussetts, but as you say, good for over a flying suit.
This is mine in natural light.
ELCIrvin-1.jpg

Here's my early War Aust made Sidcot and ex Bevan pre War Irvin (belonged to an RNZAF tiger moth Flight Instructor). It feels longer in the body and no sleeve puff!

IMG_0581-1.jpg