• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman G-1

bn1966

Biting the bullet and taking a trip down to Devon tomorrow with the intention of ordering a G-1 from Eastmans. Should keep me out of jacket mischief for a bit :) Comes off the back of the disappointment with the 1975 Star Sportswear 48 G-1 purchased & returned last week (to vendor) due to the general shape & pong of it.

bn1966

6 hour drive there & back today to ELC, freeway / motorway all the way. Got there at noon and was given a warm welcome and a hot cup of coffee. Their new showroom is outstanding with rack after rack of clothing (inc Buzz Rickson), manikins rocking the gear, sets based on films that used their jackets and a couple of WW2 vehicles thrown in for good measure. Nothing was too much trouble for Rob and I ended up placing an order for one of the early G-1 models, quite liked their Martin Lane ‘Puking Dogs’ ‘68 jacket but it only comes patched up & that’s not for me.

As an aside, ELC now have some Japanese denim, tried one of the early ‘Trucker’ style ones on...superb but that will have to wait :)

The 48 G-1 should be with me in a couple of weeks.

If anyone gets the opportunity, ELC is well worth a visit. Oh & those red Marine Corp T shirts have been selling like hot cakes..but not to me I hasten to add..wouldn’t pay that for a T.

MikeyB-17

I went to the old place nearly 25 years ago-I dealt with Alan Eastman, Gary’s dad, when I bought my first ELC House A-2. It was much the same back then, sounds like things are much the same, but on a bigger scale these days. There was a whole rack of original A-2’s which I would have liked to look at-mind you, mind you, in those days I wouldn’t have known what I was looking at.

Skyhawk

I wonder if they have a Blackened Conmar as an option? The photos show a Talon M1942.

The site states:
" 'U.S.N.' is stenciled behind the collar (the 55J14 was the only spec G-1 to have this - subsequent versions having the initials perforated down the windflap instead). "
I would say a little history review is needed.

Last edited:

johnwayne

Like Mikey B-17 I went to the old place many moons ago and only ‘cos I was in the area on business but then there was no official show room unfortunately, would have cost me had there been! But, I did buy a 77th FS patch and it was Gary that served me. God knows how but I lost the patch before utilising it and also subsequently realised the b/g colour was wrong anyway (should be red) although Gary did say there was no definite colour on originals when I called to reorder one (not sure I agreed) but, he kindly sent me another ex-gratis!! It has for many years now adorned my M41 field jacket with accompanying felt USAAF shoulder patch - still the wrong colour b/g though - what fussy buggers we can be!!!

Chandler

The site states:
" 'U.S.N.' is stenciled behind the collar (the 55J14 was the only spec G-1 to have this - subsequent versions having the initials perforated down the windflap instead). "
I would say a little history review is needed.
I have a 7823 with neither marks, is this what you're alluding to?

Skyhawk

The stencil remained through early 7823 series G-1's. My old 1957 7823 Cagleco had both a stencil under the collar and perforated USN in the lining! Go figure!
Exactly! The perforation came in late in the AER series and for a short time, the jackets had both. This is pretty much common knowledge. The wrong info not only shows inadequate research, it clouds the historical facts for the general public.

MaydayWei

@bn1966

You said you liked the 68 7823D (WP) Martin Lane, right?
Saw an NOS 7823D(WP) 70 Brill in sz 48 just in case you might be interested.
Basically the same jacket, just that the collar isn't mouton but Dynel.

bn1966

Ordered this beasty here, there were no options zipper wise other than the Talon. Very nicely made item, not cheap but I got to try on to ensure a good fit. I’ve been through 5 nearly rans which all got moved on so finally bit the bullet & stumped up the readies, I really wasn’t intending another ‘high end’ jacket but a G-1 was my first ever flight jacket at 18 (soon out grew it) & haven’t owned one that’s worked since. Fingers crossed with this one. For me personally absolute historical accuracy isn’t an issue but I can appreciate it is for some.

AFCBBB2F-FE14-4424-AF9A-496D9BC08BF8.png

bn1966

@bn1966

You said you liked the 68 7823D (WP) Martin Lane, right?
Saw an NOS 7823D(WP) 70 Brill in sz 48 just in case you might be interested.
Basically the same jacket, just that the collar isn't mouton but Dynel.

Thanks very much for that, if I hadn’t ordered the ELC G-1 yesterday I may well have taken a punt.

The Star I got last week & returned to vendor really was a weird cut, long front and very short back, really long arms too, wondered how it got through quality control and who knows where it had been stored and for how long..musty smell was the most extreme I’ve smelt.

ausreenactor

Ordered this beasty here, there were no options zipper wise other than the Talon. Very nicely made item, not cheap but I got to try on to ensure a good fit. I’ve been through 5 nearly rans which all got moved on so finally bit the bullet & stumped up the readies, I really wasn’t intending another ‘high end’ jacket but a G-1 was my first ever flight jacket at 18 (soon out grew it) & haven’t owned one that’s worked since. Fingers crossed with this one. For me personally absolute historical accuracy isn’t an issue but I can appreciate it is for some.

View attachment 59112
You are going to LOVE it!