• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

' Eastman ' Flyer RAF

John Lever

Just bought this repro RAF jacket.
I took a big risk as the vendors photos were quite poor and he was a complete stranger with no guarantee of honesty.
Though it has a AM, ' Flyers Jacket ' label, it is very obviously an Eastman from the identical panel configuration, arm shape, belt and buckle and type of sheepskin used. They probably made them as a subcontractor to another company in 1990's. The zips are completely plain and the collar has rounded tips which is atypical of them and the elastic strap hooks have solid rivet fixings. The fleece is a very nice golden colour but not bright or brassy, quite muted and attractive with a slight crimp to it.
This is a big jacket with plenty of room for a big sweater underneath and will make a superb slouch jacket for really cold weather.
The photos have made the contrast between the panel and the leather trim greater than it actually is, in reality they are quite close in colour.
FlyerEastman001.jpg

FlyerEastman007.jpg

FlyerEastman006.jpg

FlyerEastman005.jpg

FlyerEastman008.jpg

FlyerEastman011.jpg

FlyerEastman012.jpg

Roughwear

I saw this jacket on Ebay John and wondered if ELC had made it for another vendor to sell. I assume the plain zips and lack of a bucket stopper ( I presume it does not have this) were a way to keep costs down. I am curious to know what the measurements are. It looks like ELC based this one on a Links jacket judging by the rounded collar. Just the jacket to wear in the current snow.

John Lever

It has some typical Eastman features and some that are not, but the bucket zip is an obvious one I forgot to mention in my post.
From memory [ the jacket is in the machine] the arm pit is 25/26, back 25 and arms 27 inches.
The rounded collar is different so that is interesting. I have asked Gary about whether they did make them so lets see what he says.

John Lever

philip.ed said:
That looks like a lovely jacket...will you get an elastic collar strap to add?
I have a couple, so yes I will put one on. Might have the zips changed but it is OK as is I suppose.

philip.ed

It doesn't look too bad from here ;)
Price wise, was it cheaper or more expensive than a WPG repro?

shiloh

Very Nice jacket indeed, John.

How thick is the fleece??

It's a pity it's not a size 42.

regards,

shiloh

John Lever

About 3/4 inch or 18 mm.
If it isn't an Eastman then they have/had a serious competitor. I would put the jacket as better than Aero at least, maybe as good as Eastman.

Roughwear

It does not look like an ELC-made jacket. Its more like an early Aero. The original BIN was £180 and now its already exceeded that!

Cliff

I have one of these "The Aviator" jackets. The pattern seems to be better than an Aero Leather and almost as good as ELC. However they have the elastic strap behind the collar and are of a really good colour. Wonder who made them ?

cheers

Cliff

Cliff

philip.ed said:
So what makes an Eastman better?

In the case of my "Aviator" versus my two ELCs its the exterior finish of the sheep skin. The ELCs are more soft and pliable. THe Aviator has a tougher stiffer skin.