• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Cable A-2 goat size 46" - photos and measurements.

Grant

Re: Eastman Cable A-2 goat size 46" - photos and measurement

That's one of the best fitting ELC Cable's I've seen. Awesome jacket.

Andreart

just pulled the trigger on a 48....thats the only size left BTW.

better duck

Persimmon said:
Peter,
I keep considering the wet treatment and then I think I spent on the jacket in the first place and stop myself !!!
Your reassurance is good to hear.
How do you keep the knits dry or maybe you don't.
If you do . How??
Oh and if a Eastman A2 has already had a Time Worn finish added would then it not work,make it better, do nothing ???

Alan

Hi Alan, I fold the cuffs inside the sleeve, that keeps them partially dry. The waistband gets wet, no matter what. But hey, if you'd been surprised by a thunderstorm back at base, or when on a 48 hour pass in London, or on your bicycle from the pub in the village near base, jacket and knits would be soaked, right: That's the atmosphere you have to catch for yourself, when making those little sacrifices in the hunt for a perfect repro! :p
I can't imagine it would have an adverse effect on a Timeworn finish: that leather finish has been beaten around / sanded / tumbled in a dryer or whatever, but mistreated anyway too, to give it that extra "ooompf" authenticitywise. So a little hot water and some handwringing would be along the same lines, woulnd't it.

One warning about wringing the jacket: be careful at the points where the pockets and pocket flaps are attached to the jacket: those are points where several layers of leather are joined, and that creates a weak spot. The one accident I have had is with my GW Aero 16160. I wrung it so hard at the joining point of the pocketflap, that the leather of the jacket tore apart. I'll try to find the post I made about that: here it is: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3162&start=10
The leather of that jacket was a bit "dry" to begin with, so vulnerable to a twisting motion at weak spots.

Weasel_Loader

Peter, I must have missed your post about the tear on your Aero. That's an outstanding repair they did on it. As you were, I would have been hart broken making that mistake. Oh well, sucks to learn things the hard way. Thanks for the heads up and I'll keep it in mind when and if I ever decide to do a HWT. ;)

A

Anonymous

I agree with Peter on the knits BUT make sure you don't stretch them too much beyond what you get whilst wearing the jacket as they will stretch out and then become loose ........

Also, there do seem to appear to be as many different methods of hot water treatment as there are practitioners. I use the shower head to wet the outside (and under the collar as well as the visible part) BUT I personally don't wet it to saturation. The leather changes colour (only slightly and not dark like when saturated) but I then just wipe off the excess and squeeze the knits gently and put the jacket on. I don't need to wring the jacket as it's nowehere near carrying that much excess water when I soak it. It is just damp and there is no sign of much water coming through and staining the lining apart from where the knits attach which stays damp looking long after the rest of the jacket has dried.

Thanks for the kind remarks Grant / guys. :) I'm a wide guy and this is the only A-2 of the 6 or 7 that I've had that looked to me like a half decent fit for my type of frame. I assume that the HH Cable will be sized similar size but I'm not sure how the drape will make the jacket look but it's definately a flattering cut for guys built like me. Seems to fit across the shoulders fairly well and not too blousy like the ELC house around the middle.

Dave

Persimmon

Hi Alan, I fold the cuffs inside the sleeve, that keeps them partially dry. The waistband gets wet, no matter what. But hey, if you'd been surprised by a thunderstorm back at base, or when on a 48 hour pass in London, or on your bicycle from the pub in the village near base, jacket and knits would be soaked, right: That's the atmosphere you have to catch for yourself, when making those little sacrifices in the hunt for a perfect repro!
I can't imagine it would have an adverse effect on a Timeworn finish: that leather finish has been beaten around / sanded / tumbled in a dryer or whatever, but mistreated anyway too, to give it that extra "ooompf" authenticitywise. So a little hot water and some handwringing would be along the same lines, woulnd't it.

Thanks for the info Peter.
I will try it on one of my A2's- its a .50 Cal Eastman
One question -will it shrink the jacket ?
If it lost half an inch that would actually make the jacket the most ideal fit but I don't want it to go more than that.
Is shrinking an issue that needs more than one wash ?
Equally have you ever shrunk a jacket and what was the technique ?
Best wishes
Alan

Dave,
Thanks for the supplementary info as well re the waistband.
Questions as above to you too if applicable.
I like it to stay tight.
Alan

A

Anonymous

Alan,
I think the total immersions and tumble drying will shrink the jacket but to what degree I have no idea personally but there is other info on here about that. I suspect it depends on the size of the jacket and the cut and perhaps the type of leather too. I don't think anyone's done a true comparative series of tests.

Don't underestimate the use of just sitting there with your jacket in your hands, scrunching it up and loosening the hide !!

Good luck !
Dave

Peter Graham

Outstanding jacket Dave. You've done a tremendous job there.

better duck

Persimmon said:
One question -will it shrink the jacket ?
If it lost half an inch that would actually make the jacket the most ideal fit but I don't want it to go more than that.
Is shrinking an issue that needs more than one wash ?
Equally have you ever shrunk a jacket and what was the technique ?
Alan

Nope, I'm no shrinker, just a hot waterer and kneader :lol: But there are threads to be found here on VLJ by daredevils who actually did shrink their priceless jackets. I think total immersion is then the name of the game, together with praying and / or turning your thumbs, or whatever gives you peace of mind during the process.

Good luck, and don't forget to show us the results, with "before & after" photos.