• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman BS, Horse-pucky, and a Hornswaggle

Micawber

I used fiebings stuff to start with but had a green tinge to it. I mixed some shoe redying stuff from the coblers that I've used before. Dylon I believe. Seems pretty good replication of 40s polyacrelate, I matched it to an original redye I have.

Yep, I've encountered the semi metallics slightly greenish tinge in the past too but got round it by various means including but not exclusively using their own Resolene finish.

P-47 thunderbolt

The RW 27752 in Eastman book- look at that for pointed pockets
16709699551148011764651599577294.jpg

P-47 thunderbolt

Ok, it's the wrong Rough Wear contract, missing the Hilts name tag and Captains bars under the collar, but she'll have to do. Never been a huge fan of re-dyed A-2's, but the hides on this 27752 are quite soft and pliable, so couldn't pass this one up. All in all a very solid wearer and pretty badass looking. It's marked a sz 44 but fits more like a roomy 42 - perfect for a blue sweat shirt underneath. ;-)

View attachment 24789View attachment 24790View attachment 24791View attachment 24792
Grant's redye 27752 is a great reference also. Also showing pointed pocket flaps

ZuZu

Grant's redye 27752 is a great reference also. Also showing pointed pocket flaps

This thing about pocket flaps is kind of a weird thing. You can find literally every iteration of pocket flaps on Rough Wears from contracts 18091, 1401p, 23380 and 27752. Only the 16159 is consistently different from those as the flaps were more carefully sewn and the seam allowance isn't as visible. I'm SURE there are exceptions even to that.

Micawber

Ah right, isopropyl alcohol knocked it back a bit but I wasn't too happy to do the whole jacket with fiebings

Understood. I've used a range of techniques, products and home brews. A combination of alcohol, oil and water based products at different stages but it's very much suck it and see and take each bit of hide as it presents itself.

Chandler

Here's a question, and apologies if I've missed the answer in discussion, but what was hanging off Hiltz's baseball glove?

I haven't watched the movie on my big, flat screen since we got it, so I've never been able to make it out.
Anyone?

B-Man2

Yes since the 27752 was probably the contract of the movie jacket and since JC can definitely get you to uncannily close to an original. You'll have to do some mighty manipulation to get the collar to do what the Mcqeen jacket's does however.
Z
Not sure what you’re referring to about the movie jacket collar . I looked at a few photos and I could only find him wearing the jacket with the collar down… have I missed something ?