• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman and Aero Irvin comparison.

Jamesp

My new 42 pattern ELC Irvin arrived today so I have taken some comparison pictures with my Aero Irvin.

Although the Aero is the Pre-war pattern and the ELC a 42 pattern they are both almost exactly the same colour, except the fleece of course.

The Aero is the ‘real deal’ and the ELC the ‘vintage finish’.

They are both a 42 reg..

The ELC pics are on the left.

The ELC is noticeably lighter in weight and the hide soft and pliable, it is much more comfortable to wear.

The Aero has thicker hide and a much deeper fleece so it is a warmer jacket than the ELC.

I think the ELC is closer to the original pattern and detailing especially in the cut of the sleeves, they are much wider and more tapered. I have noticed that they use different waist strap lengths, the ELC is almost too short and the Aero strap is again much thicker.

Overall the ELC is a more accurate representation of the Irvin but the Aero is easily as well made, tougher and warmer.

Hope it stays cold in England!!

James.

rich

They both look excellent James, now you're spoilt for choice! Just a few trips
over the Ruhr and you'll be sorted :)

John Lever

Good post James, I like the look of the Aero.
I have had both Aero's [1]and Eastman's [3] and the fault with the Aero is the arm shape. The arms are too pipe shaped without the taper seen on originals and Eastman's. I am surprised they still make this mistake as I spent quite a while talking to Will about this some years ago. He doubted my assertion until he checked the pattern and then did agree that it was wrong and that it would be altered as there was insufficient taper.
If they could sort this out then the jacket would be a winner as I think sleeves apart the jacket looks better than the Eastman, particularly the the very red fleece colour.
Does the Aero have a correct box zip and the elastic strap ?
Would it be possible to photograph the arm of both jackets side by side please ?

Hawkeye

wow, the 42 pattern looks great! That is the vintage finish right? The colour looks different than the vintage finish 42 pattern that John Lever posted pics of a long while ago. If thats what theyre putting out, I think I may have changed my mind!

A couple questions, if you dont mind me asking. Whats your height, and your chest size? And might it be possible to get a set of measurements for the size 42? Thanks!

John Lever

James, I've just checked the Aero site and the Real Deal is the same pattern as the Battle of Britain model not the Pre- war version. Is there some confusion ?

Jamesp

John,
The Aero has not got a box zip. Aero do offer an elastic strap but I ordered a smaller collar so opted not to have one.
Also I asked Will for the ‘real deal’ hide but in pre-war pattern. So this Aero is a bit of a special. That’s one of the favorable things about Aero, they will customize for you.
I will post some pictures of the sleeves soon.

Hawkeye,
I am 5’ 9” and have a 41” chest, and slim build.
The Eastman measures:
Under arms 24”
Nape to hem 24”
Shoulder seam to shoulder seam 20 ½”
Shoulder to cuff 25”

Interestingly the Aero measures almost the same in all respects except under the arms which is 22 ½” .

James.

donsom

James, I think the ELC looks exceptionally great ... although they did skimp a bit on the belt it seems.

I do somewhat like the deeper colour of the Aero, but the amount of actual wool on it almost looks a bit unrealistic (overstuffed) .. in side by side photo comparisons.

As far as the arms go, .... again, I like the look of the ELC best. The Aero also looks wider (pit to pit), but that could very well be what John mentions about the arm design.

Is the 'feel' of the leather on the ELC that much thinner than the Aero? And I suppose part of the weight difference might be the thicker wool ...?

Thanks for sharing the pics ... and here's hoping the weather is cold in England this year (for the jacket's sake anyhow).

Jamesp

Donsom,

Not only is the fleece deeper but he skin on the Aero is definitely thicker. The thickness of the skin can be seen on the turned back cuffs and hem.

Its not that the Eastman is thin or flimsy, it just feels that way compared to the Aero.

Anyone thinking of the Aero would be well advised to go up on the size.

Cheerio

James.

C.J.

Gorgeous jackets, both of them. I'm really leaninig toward selling off my 1401 and buying an Irvin. Now, that I've seen this, I'll have a tough time choosing between the ELC and Aero.

Jamesp

John Lever said:
Would it be possible to photograph the arm of both jackets side by side please ?

Eastman sleeve is fuller than an original and the Aero slimmer than the original.

Note zip lengths: Eastman longer and Aero shorter than original.

This may not be entirely fair as I am sure originals have varying sleeve taper and zip lengths.

Cheerio

James.

John Lever

Thanks very much for those. I contacted Amanda and Will about the sleeeve shape, here is the reply -
Hello, no its not been corrected as we have so many outlets now that know the sizes etc, its hard for us to

Do that now..

However, if you ask for this when you order, we can do it for you

I am very tempted to have them make one with better shaped arms and with the absolute minimum wool at the cuffs and waist.

Roughwear

Interesting comparison James. You are quite correct about variation in the length of the sleeve zips on original Irvins. Those with Dot zips were generally longer than those mid-late war jackets with Flash zips. Similarly the shape and width of the sleeves varied between makers.

donsom

So James, ....

Are the three of them keeping each other company for now ... or, is a sale forthcoming? ;)

Only two more and you'll have one to wear for each working day of the week ....

P.S. - thanks for all of the comparison pics. Excellent info ....

Cliff

Just my view.....
Like James I too have both an ELC 42 pattern and an Aero Irvin. Last year as the Aero was new so I tended to wear that more to try and break it in a little. The build quality of the Aero is superb and is as good in that respect as the ELC. I prefer the colour of the Aero too, but as John pointed out the sleeve design lets the jacket down a little.

This year the dogs get walked in the ELC and this really has become my favourite of the two particularly as I have managed to lighten the colour of the fleece which I had decided (as if I know) that I wasn't keen on. When the jacket was new the fleece seemed to me to be very BROWN and not the honey / ginger colours that I had seen on the originals. However having left the jacket inside out over the back of a chair by a window last summer the fleece has lightened up and is now the colour I was seeking.

If anyone is contemplating an Aero remember that they come up small particularly as the fleeces are thicker. My Aero and ELC are both 46's THe ELC fits me beautifully, the Aero is fits more like a 44 or even a 42 and sadly is getting tighter as I get older :roll: . So I think the time has come to sell it and maybe get the ELC BoB Irving to keep the 42 pattern company.

regards

Cliff

Cliff

Its a slow process John (about 8 months with our weather) I was concerned that the sunlight would actually weaken the skin but it does not appear to have had a detrimental affect and in my view certainly improves the colouring of the ELC 42 fleece.

rgds Cliff

donsom

Cliff said:
If anyone is contemplating an Aero remember that they come up small particularly as the fleeces are thicker. My Aero and ELC are both 46's THe ELC fits me beautifully, the Aero is fits more like a 44 or even a 42 and sadly is getting tighter as I get older :roll: . So I think the time has come to sell it and maybe get the ELC BoB Irving to keep the 42 pattern company.

Cliff

Cliff ... have you sold your 46 Aero Irvin yet ...?

I know what you mean about the fleece being thicker. I just picked up a 44 ANJ-4 (used). The leather thickness is incredible, and the fleece is FAR thicker throughout than my Redskin B-3. The Aero ANJ-4 is about twice as heavy as the B-3 as well.

Cliff

Hi

No I still have the Aero. I have been trying to convince myself that one day I will look good in it again but it really will be a long wait, :lol: so if anyone wants to make me an offer. Its a size 46 aero which equates to an ELC 44 or slightly loose 42. I will probably put it formally on the "Buy and Sell" section after New Year but if anyone is interested before then I am open to serious offers now.

rgds

Cliff