• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Drawn' Art on OD/Khaki Field Uniforms & Caps...

ausreenactor

Gents..

Following on from the A-3 cap threads and some recent eBay items I admired, I was wondering if we have any resident gurus who do art with either ink or the old 'sharpie'?

chitchat said:
551.jpg
557-2.jpg
553-2.jpg
558-2.jpg

I have saved a few pics over the years of some great stuff on jackets. But they are on discs and out of immediate reach.

BtGWIDEWkKGrHqMH-DUEvHt-ju7jBL6gh6mueg_3.jpg

KGrHqNHJBEE7HtcwUBO-41mQ48w60_3.jpg

I have an M-43 set from ATF and a USMC Sea Bag from At The Front that could benefit from some art. If you would like a task, and you can promise it won't take four years, I might have a job for you...

Anybody with any of their own fave art please post the pics..

Couchy

unclegrumpy

havocpaul said:
This looks interesting if genuine...."captured" Jap flight jacket, USMC...
That is really interesting!

It is always hard to get a feel for the originality of this type of painting from pictures. However, this piece has a lot about it that makes me think it has a very good chance of being genuine to the immediate postwar period. It would be neat to have one of the guys translate the Japanese to get an idea if this was meant for an American to wear, or for a Japanese civilian worker.

jak-3.jpg
jak-2.jpg
jak-1.jpg

havocpaul

The listing describes it as such....
"
The Guadalcanal Campaign, also known as the Battle of Guadalcanal and codenamed Operation Watchtower by Allied Forces, was a Military Campaign fought between August 7, 1942 and February 9, 1943 on and around the Island of Guadalcanal in the Pacific theatre of World War II. During the campaign, the Allies overwhelmed the Japanese defenders and a strategically important airfield (later named Henderson Field). This excellent condition, original, Japanese Pilot's Heavy canvas Flying Jacket, with 2 large zip fastening side pockets was captured at Guadacanal by the U.S. 6th Marines, as the airfield was over ran. The Jacket which is approx 38" chest size, has an internally belted waist with a single large steel belt buckle. It is undamaged with all stitching buckles and brass Zips intact. The Victors hand painted decorations onto this jacket. On the reverse is a large colourful image of a 'glamorous' blonde female, in repose, dressed in contemporary American style, similar to the types of design painted on U.S. Fighter and Bomber Aircraft, below and above this image Japanese script is painted. On the upper arm of the left sleeve '6TH MARINES' is painted in blue and on the upper arm of the right sleeve the letters CLEM are painted in green. This is a great piece of original captured Japanese equipment from a critical period in the Pacific conflict. Price includes UK delivery. £575.."
Personally I would have thought the Japanese text makes it immediate post-war rather than from the campaign.

unclegrumpy

havocpaul said:
Personally I would have thought the Japanese text makes it immediate post-war rather than from the campaign.
I agree, it is of the style of artwork done right after the war. This is just a fancy story.....there were almost no Japanese taken prisoner on Guadalcanal....and the ones that were, were not in the condition to be painting anything.

Plus as far as the jacket itself, over the years, I have seen a few pieces of Japanese flight gear that were taken from downed planes or captured pilots, and they all looked like they had been....meaning worn, bloody, or burned. However, you do see plenty of gear that was new that came out of warehouses after the war.

That said, depending on what it says on the back, and if we could tell for sure that it is period painting, I don't think the price is crazy....maybe even low. It could be a neat piece even without the fanciful story.