• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Domestic goatskin

1911A1US

I was wondering about the goatskin used on today`s repos,is any of it domestic?or mainly imported.Thanks.Brian.

bfrench

Administrator
1911A1US said:
I was wondering about the goatskin used on today`s repos,is any of it domestic?or mainly imported.Thanks.Brian.

Hi, Brian,

Great question - hopefully if you don't mind I'd like to expand it a bit.

The really grainy goatskin we see in the originals, is that skin from closer to the belly area or do they do things differently today to give it a smooth even pebbly surface?

Bill French

John Lever

bfrench said:
1911A1US said:

Hi, Brian,

Great question - hopefully if you don't mind I'd like to expand it a bit.

The really grainy goatskin we see in the originals, is that skin from closer to the belly area or do they do things differently today to give it a smooth even pebbly surface?

Bill French
Good question. I would also add that the skin will vary with the age of the animal. LW crusty sheepskins have thick leather suggesting they come from older sheep rather than shearlings [1 year old]

1911A1US

As I do a little more research Ethiopia exports a good amount of goatskin,bearing in mind that in America goats are really not as big a commodity as cow,etc,we as Americans don`t consume very much goat meat,goats milk,cheese,but these products do not require the slaughter of goat.

jacketimp

1911A1US said:
As I do a little more research Ethiopia exports a good amount of goatskin,bearing in mind that in America goats are really not as big a commodity as cow,etc,we as Americans don`t consume very much goat meat,goats milk,cheese,but these products do not require the slaughter of goat

food is food........