• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does it still make sense to order a Jacket from Goodwear?

Kermit3D

Yes. His attention to detail and materials are top notch. John is a great guy and very humble. We have chatted about jackets and details, as well as parts, over the years. He is always willing to help. We have had some great calaborating conversations, exchanging ideas and photos. Some may think that we are competitors but that is not really the case. More like colleagues. We are in a fairly small niche, and although there are some cutthroat members within the niche, he is not one of them. I have great respect for him and have drawn inspiration from his reproductions and attention to detail. It makes me aspire to get things right, and dive deep on the research aspect of reproducing these historic jackets.

It's nice to read this kind of message. It's a very good state of mind.
Each one pulls the other up, rather than cultivating the secret of fierce competition.

blackrat2

Very nice jackets and I have to agree John is a great guy to deal with and he puts together a great jacket
Both those jackets look sweet to my eye Talon
I really hope that John gets some help to reply to his messages, I have to say Aero and Eastman have this side of the business nailed, I think John and some of the other smaller companies would put peoples minds at rest if they had there queries answered... that said when he does reply it is a wealth of information

mulceber

that said when he does reply it is a wealth of information

And that’s actually why I have mixed feelings about him getting help. On the one hand, it’ll be great for his customers to know exactly where they are in line and get reassurances from him. On the other hand, his replies contain such a wealth of information that I’ve always found them worth the wait. But I may be unusual in that regard.

Chandler

And that’s actually why I have mixed feelings about him getting help. On the one hand, it’ll be great for his customers to know exactly where they are in line and get reassurances from him. On the other hand, his replies contain such a wealth of information that I’ve always found them worth the wait. But I may be unusual in that regard.
I guess it all depends on who he hires -- maybe someone from the forum can telecommute for GW!

B-Man2

It’s always a good day when you hear from JC about a jacket that you’ve ordered or would like to order. And you guys are spot on, he needs some help in the admin dept , answering calls and returning messages, but realistically would talking to someone other than JC really satisfy some people? I remember when he had his female assistant and she answered all of his calls . She mentioned once that she got a little frustrated because so many people weren’t satisfied with her responses and they had to talk to JC . She said that if JC answered every call that came in, he could spend as much as 50 percent of his time on the phone because one or two questions always led to 5 or ten questions and 15 to 20 minute conversations with each caller . So my point is … sometimes an assistant can take some of the load off and answer calls and questions, but there’s alway going to be those who need that reassurance of talking to JC .

ausreenactor

Hello. I recently received my order. John has fulfilled all his obligations and more. Due to the delay due to family circumstances, he made discounts and sewed me two wonderful contracts J. A. Dubow and Monarch MFG. Co. These are real masterpieces from a professional and a very good person! I am very happy and the wait was worth it. I have no complaints about the deadline for the order, besides, I already had a jacket from Good Wear, contract Rough Wear Clothing Co.
DSC-1648.jpg

DSC-1650.jpg

DSC-1654.jpg

DSC-1656.jpg

DSC-1651.jpg

DSC-1655.jpg

DSC-1658.jpg

DSC-1659.jpg

KIz-Gq-Wrum-QA.jpg

2og8ddfqv6s.jpg

jm83-UAJDn-FQ.jpg

GWrw0efx-Vg-Y.jpg

RKNtp-P59k-g.jpg
How much was the Crown Zipper option? Nice touch.