• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DIY Hartmann Jacket, first try

Oliver

Hello jhonny,

Thank you for your words.
Iam not a thailor, iam a carpenter! If you need buttons like mine, let me know! I hafe some original pressbuttons, black and brown.
When you made your own jacket use the best material! Best leather and wool for the liner.
Today i also plan my next luftwaffe leather jacket....
Regards oli

Johnnie Espresso

where i live, there are two stores selling fabrics and sewing material.
The newer one was opened BY bored, rich Karens FOR bored, rich Karens. All you get there is what you need to make "stylish toddler"-clothes. Like, when little Torben needs a new manga-themed hat.
The older, traditional one is assorted quite ok, but run by folks that probably were there already when the shop was opened in the 1950's. Whenever i go there, they approach me with a "unheard of! A man on a sewing machine??? What's next? Cars without horses??"-attitude. That's why i prefer to order stuff via the Interwebz......

JonnyCrow

where i live, there are two stores selling fabrics and sewing material.
The newer one was opened BY bored, rich Karens FOR bored, rich Karens. All you get there is what you need to make "stylish toddler"-clothes. Like, when little Torben needs a new manga-themed hat.
The older, traditional one is assorted quite ok, but run by folks that probably were there already when the shop was opened in the 1950's. Whenever i go there, they approach me with a "unheard of! A man on a sewing machine??? What's next? Cars without horses??"-attitude. That's why i prefer to order stuff via the Interwebz......
Johnnie ever thought of going the reuse route? Buying a old vintage beat up one and using the fabric? Seems many period ones used that plaid, tartan like lining

Johnnie Espresso

Johnnie ever thought of going the reuse route? Buying a old vintage beat up one and using the fabric? Seems many period ones used that plaid, tartan like lining
Oh yes, sure i have. And i actually prefer reusing old fabric for the stuff i do. But sometimes, i'm just a lazy dude. FInding and buying an old greatcoat, taking it apart, making the liner fit in a new jacket.....a lot of work steps.

JonnyCrow

Oh yes, sure i have. And i actually prefer reusing old fabric for the stuff i do. But sometimes, i'm just a lazy dude. FInding and buying an old greatcoat, taking it apart, making the liner fit in a new jacket.....a lot of work steps.
I used to do a lot of restoration, and sheepskin jacket/zipper restoration, it's good there are makers of 22-24inch talon zippers, technically if you re-use old materials it's half way there, some German sellers use old wartime fabric to remake caps and tunics