• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond Leathertogs, Buco J-24... NEW!

buzzthetower

Administrator
Gents,

This has become a bit of a heated debate, more about words and attitudes than about a jacket and how it can be improved. I think everyone is trying to put in a valid point, and through a window of the internet, the message can come across as mean-spirited, even if that wasn’t the intention.

I’ve had this happen with the things I’ve made, and had to take a deep breath and make sure that a comment wasn’t meant as an insult, but just a comment.

I think that Dave is more than happy to make improvements of what he’s doing…otherwise, I doubt he would be posting on this forum. We all know that if you post something, you’ll get comments (the whole purpose of a forum), and with some situations, I think you have to accept that if you post in a manner that comes across like you’re having fun throwing rocks (even if it’s just perceived that way), the recipient of airborne rocks may throw some back.

I have a funny feeling that Dave is both excited and looking for input on the jackets that he’s making. He’s been an active member here for years, and has indeed kept many a customer happy with the AAF crusher caps that he makes. It’s extremely hard to make leather jackets well, and forums like this are important for getting those products to be even better…for everyone.

As a moderator, I have little to no power to ask anyone to do anything, but I do ask that input be done in a manner that would help a person do their best. I think that TCWU’s comments sounded a bit harsh, but I doubt that it was meant in that manner at all. What I don’t hope to see is a slew of comments as to who is right or wrong. This was a situation with some misunderstandings, and just as any one of us would feel in bringing an idea to a boss, and having it bullet-pointed in how wrong it is, it would hurt. How would we like to have problems pointed out? What was good about the idea?

That being said, I know all of us tend to have strong opinions, and that’s a good thing. I can only hope that the opinions be tempered with a little consideration of how to bring them up. I’m painfully opinionated, and in private will spew those opinions, but I hope to be helpful in saying what I think, rather than tearing someone down.

We’re lucky to have so many companies that make cool jackets these days, and Dave has absolutely added to the field…and he’s just starting. I know myself how hard this is, and though it’s not motivated by a popularity contest, a little encouragement goes a long way. As does criticism of the details.

I don’t post much any more, so I hope I’m helping the situation. I have so many emails that I’m behind on, I find that whenever I do post on this forum, I get PM’s saying “Why haven’t you answered my email?????” – back to that situation for me! I bought an Eastman B-3 from Gary back in 2008 and meant to post it here on the forum as to how well made it looks, and I never did, for fear of being blasted by not keeping up on emails. Isn't it silly that a moderator is afraid to post on a forum? I feel a bit foolish.

John

watchmanjimg

Excellent points, John. Now, ANSWER MY EMAIL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Getting back to the substance of the thread, I agree that misunderstandings are to blame for the most part. We all have our personal preference, and I wish the discussion would have ended there. We're a tough bunch to please, pointing out inaccuracies in a particular jacket while bitching that another is too perfect. In any case the niche makers all across the price/quality spectrum are a godsend. There are many choices out there and the products just keep getting better. The efforts of the up-and-coming jacket makers in the VLJ community are nothing short of impressive, and I urge them to keep at it.

Not that Dave needs me to fight his battles, but I will throw my two cents in to say this about his work:

Daves work ethic and customer service are TOP notch. I placed an order (for caps) when he first went live with Diamond Caps
and one of the two needed to be adjusted to my preferences.. He took it back, and made it right. He's got a strong interest
in doing things right, both historically and customer-wise and I'm sure that with regard to this Buco J-24, (about which I am most definitely NOT an expert), he will produce it properly.

Ever see an ELC jacket from 25 years ago? They were good then, but compare it to their products (and others) today. ELC and others have had the luxury of time to refine. If the J-24 is 'missing' a strap, I bet it'll be appearing in production models. Dave has got loads of time to refine his line, and I'm confident he will do just that.

I do suspect that the initial critic may actually have expressed his 'suggestion' in a way that translates differently, and with different punctuation
than many of us might hope for or expect.. but from my viewpoint it also did appear a bit harsher than someone just offering a helpful suggestion. I would hope that in the future suggestions for improvements be done they way they usually are on here.. so everyone understands the actual meaning and intent. This forum is great and has (and continues to be) both a great place for learning and comraderie....I don't expect that to change....

Dan

GeeLP

I wish the pictures DiamondDave had posted of his Buco J-24 were still up on this site. I saw this topic a couple of days after the original posting and they were already gone. I liked his take on the Buco J-100 and would love to see the J-24 prototype (hint hint). Looking forward to seeing what the second DiamondJackets Buco J-24 will look like!

siddhartha

Administrator
Dave,

Jacket looks great-this is something I'm interested in.

As far as negative comments go, I think that a language barrier is indeed partially responsible for the perceived rudeness. It's fine to critique, but please be conscious of the way you do it, especially to the smaller makers. I think the more-established makers can handle the sometimes more blunt criticism easier, as they've already proven themselves.

As always, treat people here with the respect and consideration that you would like shown to yourself.

Personally, I probably would have said "Excellent work, Dave, maybe a minor detail or two to correct..." or something along those lines, and perhaps a PM/email to state exactly what's missing. Or, simply a more tactful approach to the "missing" belt loop.

We all have things to learn, and I can't imagine showing a jacket I'd slaved on here to negative criticism, but that's (one) the reason I don't make jackets.

More power to the little guys!

Chris

DiamondDave

Re: Diamond Leathertogs, Buco J-24... NEW! (Revised 1/3)

Chris,
Thank you for the remarks, although I am completely over it... have taken it "in-stride", and have moved on to make this "NEW" version of the jacket! This version incorporates the discussed issues as well as some that I remembered myself.

http://www.diamondleathertogs.com/storage.html

fishmeok

Looks sharp- I like the pocket stitching, and the bi-swing particularly. Are the side pockets through pockets?

DiamondDave

Thanks Mark,

Yes, the back is a "pass-through" pocket of sorts.... I have seen it referred to as a "map pocket", but I believe it to actually be a set of vents for riding, which would allow a cross breeze.

Ciao for now,

DD

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
DiamondDave said:
Yes, the back is a "pass-through" pocket of sorts.... I have seen it referred to as a "map pocket", but I believe it to actually be a set of vents for riding, which would allow a cross breeze.

Crap .... so they're not for girls hands. :?

Vcruiser

Well..I'm going to jump in here..although I'll probably regret it.
I've had several original Bucos over the years. The back zippered pockets were passenger hand warmers and quite commonly known for that. They were also 'unlined' pockets in the authentic examples that I had. Vents they were not.
Also...in the original jackets that I once owned...the chest pocket opening was lower..slightly over the D-pocket for better accessibility not interfering with the natural lay of the open collar. I am not trying to be over critical or harsh in any way.
However...if this jacket isn't to be a journey to an eventual close copy...then exact features aren't important. Carry on...
Van

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Vcruiser said:
I've had several original Bucos over the years. The back zippered pockets were passenger hand warmers and quite commonly known for that. They were also 'unlined' pockets in the authentic examples that I had. Vents they were not.

Thanks, Van .... girls hands are back on the menu. :D

Vcruiser

deeb7 said:
Vcruiser said:

Thanks, Van .... girls hands are back on the menu. :D

David..
I know this might seem a bit much for a New Zealander..but
...summertime is the best..when they raise the back of your T shirt...
and the front of theirs..and go for a big squeezing hug to get warm in the cool night air.
Two birds with one stone..so to speak.... :eek: :shock: ;)
VB

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Vcruiser said:
David..
I know this might seem a bit much for a New Zealander..but
...summertime is the best..when they raise the back of your T shirt...
and the front of theirs..and go for a big squeezing hug to get warm in the cool night air.
Two birds with one stone..so to speak.... :eek: :shock: ;)
VB

What fun ... and believe it or not, we're finally getting the idea. :cool:

The annual Boobs on Bikes parade in Auckland, New Zealand, went off without a hitch this week despite attempts to block the event by local politicians and conservative activists.

boobs_on_bikes.jpg

DiamondDave

David,

Nice pic!

Van,

You are correct... these "pockets" are indeed unlined... thus really defeating the word pocket, at its core. IMHO "a zipper does not a pocket make"...They go just into the lining and not inside of the jacket, and are absolutely correct for original Buco jackets. That said, I also disagree with "passenger hand warmer pockets", since as we have just established they are unlined, first off, and secondly, when one considers that on the original J-21 (first design of this jacket) there was only one... was this for one armed passengers?

Well spotted to all and very constructive, thank you.

DD

Vcruiser

Well..I'm not going to argue with you. I grew up during the fifties..when older brothers of friends rode MCs and some wore the J-24s and had no problem with realizing how the back pockets were meant to be used. My second MC jacket in '65..shortly after I started riding... was a J-24..and it was obvious that these rear pockets offered no venting properties whatsoever. However..if you've done your research..and maintain that opinion..then more power to you in your endeavors and quest for perfection.
Van

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Here's Legendary USA's version ...

• two zippered pockets for rear passenger or cargo