• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond Leathertogs, Buco J-24... NEW!

DiamondDave

Gents,

Here are a few "teaser pics" of the jacket, that will be forthcoming on the new website.

IMG_2529.jpg.w560h420.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg.w560h420.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg.w560h420.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg.w560h420.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg.w560h420.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg.w560h420.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg.w560h420.jpg

SuinBruin

I'm not big on the traditional Buco style of jacket, but this looks damn good, Dave. Good luck with the jacket biz, from the looks of it you won't be wanting for orders in a year or two.

cheers,
matt

deand

Found these originals on-line. Doesn't look that far off from these, if at all. I see one of these and think Luftwaffe jacket. Which is all wrong, I know. The 'zippo' pocket seems more rounded on the original. It's a sharp looking jacket, Dave! I have a lot of admiration for your items. (If I could have pulled off wearing a 'crusher' with my A-2s I would have purchased one from you.)

J24-1.png

BucoJ23Orig-4.jpg

dean

A

Anonymous

Jacket looks fantastic !! I'm not into the style, but a great effort. DICK is all I have to say about other negative posts.

DiamondDave

deand, chitchat,

Thank you for your comments. When one considers that patterns for these jacket styles do not exist, much like A-2's and that the work is done from photos and from a "created" pattern, measured and made from an original... you start to see that the work is no small feat! Not to "toot my own horn", as it were, but I am relatively proud of what I have created.

I actually just noticed, that I forgot the Ligne 24 snaps on the top collar, AND that the "zippo pocket" is actually too small (not too large as stated earlier) on mine, as well as being the wrong shape.

Ciao for now,

DD

DiamondDave

tcwu,

Good to know that you are omniscient and knew what would happen, I shall remember that.

OK, so, You MAY have a point...ie Extra tab inside.....However let me point out that the jackets that you show pics of
have the wrong style back.... Buco on the J-21 through J-82 did NOT use the short "action back"
which goes into the sleeve... opting instead for the full Bi-Swing back, which I have reproduced.
Incidentally, I believe that your beloved Real McCoy also has this feature... D'oh!

Also, the ELC has the "belt loop tabs" that are too narrow for an accurate Buco. Thus you should not
hold these jackets up as the PERFECT Buco, which they clearly ARE NOT! In fairness, Gary never claimed
any certain maker for this jacket and it is an homage to the style of the 50's

As to the LW... the pattern is cut completely wrong for the 1950's, the hide is entirely too heavy and
bulletproof and the zippers are entirely wrong for any Buco that I have seen. Also the epaulets
are the wrong shape, the "pieced" belt, made of matching HH is wrong as well,
as these were sold by Buco, with an optional belt of tanned cowhide and NOT with horsehide belts that were
pieced together at the back, creating a seam. Lastly the pieced together sleeve end is also WRONG on this jacket that you
quote has such fantastic accuracy.

I look forward to your response, as well as your own offering to the market, that we may judge your work as well,

DD

Grant

Hey Dave,
What's the link to your website again? I want to send it to some motorcycle buddies I know who might be interested.
Also, keep up the great work and don't let the little forum geeks distract you.

MikeyB-17

tcwu,
You've done it again, haven't you?. You're going to take this the wrong way, I'll bet, but I'm going to try anyway. It's not the first time this has happened, is it? I'm sure you're attempting to be constructive in your criticism, but you have a blunt way of phrasing things that unfortunately, tends to put people's backs up. Rather than sound helpful, which I'm sure you intend, it comes across as unnecessarily harsh and tends to hurt people's feelings, and then you get the sort of reaction you've just got. I seem to remember this happening over a Goodwear a while back-and about an RMNZ M-422a that Jack Aranda had for sale.

tcwu said:
If you take my negative opinions at/into negative way not thing I can do!

I think there is. You need to be a bit more careful how you phrase your criticism. I think you probably have a point, but you're not helping your cause by being so direct. Dave's worked long and hard on this jacket, is justifiably proud of it, and to have it criticised in such terms, however well-meant-I can't say I blame him for being a bit put out.

bfrench

Administrator
Grant said:
Hey Dave,
SNIP
Also, keep up the great work and don't let the little forum geeks distract you.

Hi, Dave,

My sentiments exactly - we have so few of our members who actually make jackets that it I feel it is a privilege that you post here.

Please keep us posted when you do new things.

Merry Christmas,
Bill French

A

Anonymous

This is Dave's concept. He has made it his. Plus Damn fine caps as I recall.

asiamiles

MikeyB-17 said:
I'm sure you're attempting to be constructive in your criticism, but you have a blunt way of phrasing things that unfortunately, tends to put people's backs up [snip]You need to be a bit more careful how you phrase your criticism. I think you probably have a point, but you're not helping your cause by being so direct. Dave's worked long and hard on this jacket, is justifiably proud of it, and to have it criticised in such terms, however well-meant-I can't say I blame him for being a bit put out.
Perhaps this results from his first language not being English? I think Dave's remark that he was being "Unceremonious and rude" was an over-reaction, and to be honest I found his responses more "Unceremonious and rude". He has a dig at TCWU for his "beloved Real McCoy" when he'd never even mentioned them...it was me who merely provided a link to their repro for comparison. Considering this is a site where people scrutinise every last detail of various manufacturer's A-2's and comment upon where one repro is more accurate than another, surely the comments were valid and as you said, intended as constructive criticism. I don't recall John ever getting all hot and bothered when people point out where and how a particular Good Wear might be improved.
keep up the great work and don't let the little forum geeks distract you
While we certainly do want to encourage members, I'm not sure than insulting a quite large percentage of VLJ'ers is the way to go about it. From "forum geeks" the likes of Good Wear have sprung.

Andrew

deeb7 said:
Vcruiser said:
Very good post...asiamiles..IMO.
Van

I agree ...
Count me in too, personally I like to hear criticism from people who know more than me on any topic. I also felt that it came across as not constructive purely due to linguistics.

Peter Graham

Andrew said:
deeb7 said:
Vcruiser said:
Very good post...asiamiles..IMO.
Van

I agree ...
Count me in too, personally I like to hear criticism from people who know more than me on any topic. I also felt that it came across as not constructive purely due to linguistics.
Me also. Dave's attitude to criticism has been noted so I shall offer no criticism of the jacket but I'll say this. If it wasn't for "little forum geeks" we would all be wearing banana republic A-2's and Aviation leathercraft Irvin's and there would be no market for Good Wear, ELC, Buzz Rickson and the rest. I could say a lot more but I'll leave it there.