• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond Clothing Co. Rough Wear 27752 A-2 size 46 SALE

Smithy

I think people have become a bit more careful at spending money. $950+shipping is quite a bit.

I think that's a good point Rutger. Pre-CV this probably wouldn't have lasted a day. The economic fallout has meant there's a significant increase in people watching their pennies now. Sure there's always guys who are loaded no matter what but the pandemic has meant that a large chunk of the "average Joe" punters from before all this hit are being more prudent now and aren't throwing their money around as the did before. I see it across several other interests I have and it's quite noticeable.

Pilot

Agree with all am.
Its a DD not a GW, its stear and not the mythical HH.
Some little details are just not GW like ( see photos ).
Still a nice jacket...
See DD details
F41FF693-89B5-44D7-9E9D-DD285274B1A2.jpeg

See GW details
B08D3E1F-855C-4C75-95BD-AE2296F6F9F1.jpeg

overpriced for all am and discussed reasons.

blackrat2

I thought as I recall it that DD was going to offer off the peg alternate to bespoke service
I don’t see a problem with rushed stitch lines, indeed probably more authentic
I hope if this is the case that he gets it off the ground, especially given the current climate!
Hopefully more will become clear and maybe Dave will at some point update us
Certainly there appears to be a market for off the peg, I wish him the best, like many of the older contributors on here I hope he comes back to the forum at some point

Basically the only stitching we can see which looks inconsistent is on the label. I could certainly live with that. I can't blame Dave for shunning this forum and others as he seems to catch far more flak than practically any other maker. That's completely unjustified.

I've owned a couple of his jackets and still have—and wear—one of his Bronco 29191 jackets which is fantastic. Believe me it's truly a step up on, for example, Platon's jackets. I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying a stock A-2 from Dave in the correct size.

Bombing IP

Re the difference between Steer and Horsehide steer is much stronger .I have a bag of off cuts from John Chapman from when I was making USAAF patches. I used to buy it off him regularly ,well to cut a long story short if you take a piece of horse hide you can tear it like paper very little resistance not so with steer .This would be for the 3oz leather used in the making of Good Wear A-2 type comparing Steer with horse .Yes I would like Dave to be back making A-2 type jackets again ,sorry to go off topic .

BIP

mulceber

I don’t see a problem with rushed stitch lines, indeed probably more authentic

Agreed, see the following:
label.jpg

label.jpg

s-l1616.jpg

We really need to get away from the logic of "well, JC does it this way, that means it's the only way these jackets were made." Start looking at the originals. Particularly for wartime production jackets, the workers were sewing for dear life. Diamond Dave's label looks accurate to me.

Bombing IP

Yes volume with skilled machinist does not mean 100% perfection ,its the war time standard specific # of jackets expected every day .Ken says it all the time re his apprentices make the most accurate jacket when compared with WWII production .JC does it with precision becuase the customer expects it .GOOOOD points Mulceber

BIP

Nickb123

Never owned one, but the Diamond A-2s always looked top notch. It’s true that they can be differentiated from a GW, but each maker has its own idiosyncrasies. John’s jackets certainly capture, in whole, the “feel” of an original. But then there’s DD stitching or whatnot, and that has its merits too, because without a doubt is closer to how wartime jackets were made!
That’s really the beauty of these different makers. Each offers something, but none achieves the impossibility of perfectly replicating the non-replicable. And that’s a good thing IMO. There’s a sacred space devoted to the originals and their original wearers. No need to dig up sacred ground. A tiny bit of modern day artistic input is a welcome feature. Emphasis on tiny.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Re the difference between Steer and Horsehide steer is much stronger .I have a bag of off cuts from John Chapman from when I was making USAAF patches. I used to buy it off him regularly ,well to cut a long story short if you take a piece of horse hide you can tear it like paper very little resistance not so with steer .This would be for the 3oz leather used in the making of Good Wear A-2 type comparing Steer with horse .Yes I would like Dave to be back making A-2 type jackets again ,sorry to go off topic .

BIP
I remember years ago when we had a number of discussions as to whether jacket makers like Rough Wear , Aero, Star and DuBow had ever tried to pull a fast one and substitute Cowhide for Horsehide in violation of the military specs that called for jackets to be made out of Horsehide . We would debate it every so often, and there were those who believed that the contractors would never do such a thing, as they would risk loosing their government contracts if it were found out. Then there was another bunch of us that said absolutely that they snuck in cowhides to make their quotas, and that many of the original A2 jackets were made from Cowhide . Oh man saying that was like blasphemy. Like saying their was no Santa Claus or no tooth fairy . :oops:
It wasn’t until Gary Eastman started taking samples of original A2 contracts and submitting them for DNA analysis and publishing the results in his A2 Jacket Manual that the truth set us all free . Man what a few surprises came out of that .. many more A2 contracts came out as being made from Cowhide then we ever imagined . In fact I think at least one entire contract was made from Cowhide . I remember being one of the guys who thought that every A2 made was Horsehide ... DUH!!!:rolleyes:

ausreenactor

Oh noooo !
Now I’m the guy that killed the dreams....
Sorry Jeffy ..... :oops:
;)
I remember looking at my wife with wide eyes when 12 year old daughter explained the shock that 10 year old brother would be going through at the realisation that there is no Santa....

"I feel really bad for Hayden Mum. I would be like that if I found out the Tooth Fairy is not real."

Really?... not sure where we are at three years later...