• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

De WERKMAN?

decodiva

Is this 1940s, and I'm inclined to agree, but be glad of your opinions.

Second, it's in pretty bad shape. I imagine in good condition it might be quite saleable, but it's missing the buttons, the lining is torn, and it's heavily scuffed at the edges. I'm not inclined to try and restore it, and wondering whether it's worth trying to sell (on ebay).
But thirdly and mostly importantly, I'd be glad of some input on what kind of garment this is. Has anyone seen anything like it before?
It looks almost military, like (eek) a German Officer coat, but the label implies something else. The Dutch on the label translates as 'Leather clothing' then 'Work Clothing' (or 'Business Clothing') then 'The Workman' or 'The Laborer'. And of course there's a picture of a factory. So perhaps it's been made by a manufacturer that makes industrial work clothes? I've had no luck researching the address.
Would this be from after World War II? Holland was occupied by Germany from 1940 to the end of the War in 1945. I imagine they weren't manufacturing during the war, unless they were producing work clothing under German occupation.
It weighs an absolute ton. Would it be horsehide, rather than ordinary leather?
There's a lot detailed stuff inside, like knitted cuffs sewn into the sleeve, and leg straps (I think) for you to strap the bottom of the coat to your legs as you walk?
40sdutchleathercoat-01.jpg
40sdutchleathercoat-09.jpg

40sdutchleathercoat-02.jpg

40sdutchleathercoat-16.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
decodiva said:
It weighs an absolute ton. Would it be horsehide, rather than ordinary leather?

It's unlikely to be horsehide, my guess would be very heavy cow/steerhide.

jack31916

It's not a (German) military coat but a motorcyclist or moped coat worn as a (weather) protective garment and was a common sight in Dutch civvy street in the 40's, 50's and '60's . The leather is most probably pigskin.

As a matter of fact I had exactly the same coat a couple of years ago and sold it of to a German re-enactor who made an officerscoat out of it. It's appearance is about similar and will do the trick. You'll find these jackets on Ebay and sometimes makes good money...

Elvisinconcert is right about De Werkman. I'm originaly from The Hague and De Werkman is still in business (same adress, same building) and sells working garments and fashion clothing.