• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D-1 repair project , opinions please

OperationCoffee

Not trying to sell this one just yet, just want to get a feel for what the room might say about how difficult getting this jacket repaired would be/ how expensive. Basically your feelings. It's a Spiewak in very good condition with the exception of the spot on the right shoulder. I had it on display so touched up the fleece with some dye but the fleece is all there. I even have dark seal patch leather (ww2 vintage) to fix it with and it blends perfectly.
1111.jpeg
22222.jpeg
33333.jpeg
44444.jpeg
55555.jpeg
55555.jpeg

B-Man2

That’s a great jacket …, but if I’m not offending you I’d suggest you keep it as a display piece rather than to try and rehab it. US fleece jackets were notorious for being treated with an acrylic outer coating to keep the rain off the hides . Over the years the outer coating has caused the hide on many of those jackets to crack, split , peal away and rot . My point is this .. trying to rehab one of those jackets is like stepping into a large puddle filled with dark dingy water . You never know how deep that puddle is, until it’s too late, and your standing in the middle of it, or in some cases sinking in the middle of it. Rehabbing a US fleece jacket is a bit of the same thing . You never know how much it’s going to cost to rehab the jacket until you’ve taken the thing apart, checked out all the panels for dry rot and by then you’re knee deep in the puddle . Another words you’re deep into it and it’s costing you some serious cash . Others may disagree but that’s my opinion.
Whatever you decide , good luck with it .
Cheers

OperationCoffee

I have a couple of other D-1s already. It just sort of pains me (?) to think that this one, being so otherwise solid, has that spot. It's a piece of history that deserves better treatment, know what I mean? I basically want to make it "complete" if that makes sense, as it is, it's "undone". If I had the gear I'd do it myself.

B-Man2

I have a couple of other D-1s already. It just sort of pains me (?) to think that this one, being so otherwise solid, has that spot. It's a piece of history that deserves better treatment, know what I mean? I basically want to make it "complete" if that makes sense, as it is, it's "undone". If I had the gear I'd do it myself.
I understand … it makes total sense . As an owner of an original WWII artifact, you’d like to take care of it and maintain its integrity and not let it just slip away and end up in a decayed state . I’m with you on all of that. I feel the same about my original jackets . We have a caretaker mentality and we feel an obligation to looking out for these artifacts of WWII . If the financial end of the rehab is manageable then go for it . There are a couple of people on this forum that may be able to do te work for you . Check with Steve Sellers . He does outstanding work and the guys a good guy. There’s also a woman here named Dianna . She does nice work as well but I’m not sure how much she charges . I don’t know of any other people as I don’t think Dave Sheeley works on fleece jackets.

B-Man2

Just for kicks, here's what one looks like that I will never have an interest in dropping a dime into, but it has more character than about anything else I own View attachment 73470View attachment 73472
Great photo but it kind of makes my point about US Shearling jackets being prone to dry rot . That’s a real shame because you don’t see that as much with British Shearling jackets, as they didn’t coat them with any acrylic top coats .

OperationCoffee

Oh yeah. Curse that unholy acrylic crap. My favorite shearlings are Irvins so no love lost for US WW2 jackets generally, unless it's good repro stuff.

B-Man2

I wonder what type of finish the Brits used to waterproof the Irvin’s ? It definitely wasn’t acrylic . As a result they held up so much better than US Shearlings . Micawber will know . Hey Steve … what was the “Special Sauce” used on the Irvin’s ?

OperationCoffee

That's something I'd love to know. I own 2 30's IAC's which show no sign of ever having been coated with anything and are perfectly wearable. It seems every expert has their personal opinion.

Dany McDonald

Nothing more to add here in terms of opinion, but you have a nice D-1 collection. I am in the market for a repro D-1 and your jackets are inspiring.
What contract is G.JAMES? And can you share your other D-1's ?

Thanks,

Dany

Dany McDonald

I actually don't have an image of the back, but I can guess a four panel job, see under the left armpit, there is a seam.

Dany

Dany McDonald

I just found this...

So my guess is that the pattern is in fact a SAAD and not roughwear, so the site I found the initial image is wrong.

Dany