• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D-1 MECHANICS JACKET

jon11

Would like the opinion of your guys who know your jackets from A-Z. Is RMNZ or Goodwear D-1 worth paying the extra £450 with Taxes etc for me who would be a UK buyer over say an Eastman's D-1? with the added risk as well re sizing? Any advice really appreciated.

blackrat2

It's more a case of get measured for a jacket from Goodwear but a long wait versus off peg from Eastman..

Tim P

No point whatsoever in getting measured for a D1 (or any other over the qm counter flight garment in my opinion) but shearling particularly.
The D1 jackets if all the top end makers are going to be there or thereabouts in terms of looks and quality of construction frankly. Put them all out with a bit of tape on the label and most would struggle to differentiate.
If you are Uk based I would suggest that Eastman is the logical choice in this instance

jon11

To be honest Tim, I am thinking the same. The extra £450 plus, I could do a lot of other things with. All the makers have them in Small/Medium/Large, to me that's not bespoke.

Jeff M

For me, it mainly boils down to the quality of the shearling they are getting.

The hide on an Eastman BOB Irvin I received about a year ago is so-so. Very stiff...not much character. Not sure about the quality of hide they are getting now.
I prefer the HH on my GW A2's to those on my Eastman A2's.
I like the hide on my Eastman Luftwaffe.
I slightly refer the capeskin Eastman is getting for their A1's compared to the capeskin GW is using.
Love the GW used on my M422, G1 and Ventura.

Haven't seen the hides GW is getting for it's sheepskin line.

So, if it were me, I'd go with GW, as I have never been disappointed in their hides, and I prefer a custom made jacket for best fit. (Jackets in my size tend to be too long in the arms for me unless custom fit.)
But that's me.

Peter Graham

A bespoke D-1 would look very odd. It's the baggy, boxy shape that characterises them. An extra £450 would buy you a second hand A-2, or B-3 or any number of other jackets.

Tim P

£570 odd is top dollar anyhow. More than that for a simple design is throwing bad money after good bespoke or no

havocpaul

Eastman D-1's are fine...a 'fitted' D-1 would be all wrong, they were not and never meant to be a fitted jacket hence their sizing, check out all wartime pics of groundcrew, a jacket for warmth, practicality and comfort.

omarco

I'd agree about the sizing, a 'fitted' D1 wouldn't be quite right but thats not to say you don't want the thing to fit, so getting the right size is still important, it should just be a bit more obvious which one to get.

I'v not seen the Eastman but i'm sure its nice.. I love my RMNZ though and after flirting with the idea of letting it go, i had a bloody good word with myself and decided to keep it..