• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

d-1 jacket over oiled

groundpound

i have a reasonably nice D-1 jacket that was very dry and brittle when i bought it. over a period of weeks i oiled it with carr's leather oil. the problem is that as the jacket has softened up considerably it has also gotten very heavy and i'm sure that i have overdone it with the oil. it seems to sweat the oil out a bit and i'm afraid that i might tear it if i wear it now that it is so heavy. does anybody have a possible solution as to getting some of the excess oil out of this jacket or have i ruined it for good??? i was thinking of soaking it in a bathtub full of hot water but i'll hold off on that until i get a few opinions on this matter. be kind. :D

Baron Kurtz

This was a new D-1? And it needed significant oiling? Or it was an old one? I would always err on the side of extreme caution with leather treatments; especially with old jackets. A very light coat, remove excess next day, and wait a week to see how it looks/feels … another very light coat if needed. Repeat as necessary; some panels may need more than others etc. etc.

Patience is the key. Seems maybe you might have gone too fast? (I understand the urge to get the jacket on your back!)

bk

jacketimp

groundpound said:
i have a reasonably nice D-1 jacket that was very dry and brittle when i bought it. over a period of weeks i oiled it with carr's leather oil. the problem is that as the jacket has softened up considerably it has also gotten very heavy and i'm sure that i have overdone it with the oil. it seems to sweat the oil out a bit and i'm afraid that i might tear it if i wear it now that it is so heavy. does anybody have a possible solution as to getting some of the excess oil out of this jacket or have i ruined it for good??? i was thinking of soaking it in a bathtub full of hot water but i'll hold off on that until i get a few opinions on this matter. be kind. :D

how about some pix of your handiwork?

John Lever

If this oil is based on Neatsfoot oil then you are doomed. This stuff is made from hooves and is totally waterproof and will only come off if you have the jacket dry cleaned. I once tried this stuff on an Irvin repro and it took several machine washes to solve the stickiness and smell issues.
Sorry.

MikeyB-17

Might sound daft, but I wonder if hard dabbing with some absorbent material (paper towels/tissue) might absorb some of the oil?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I thought I'd ruined a pair of shoes a few days ago, with an oil based leather dressing. They were now dark, and blotchy, instead of the mid coloured wax finish.

I then rubbed over them with the remains of a bottle of leather finish stripper, that the last owner had left in the cupboard. Some colour came out on the cloth, but not much improvement.

Now I've just returned from two days away, and they have dried out ... back almost back to their old selves. The leather stripper smells like lacquer thinners, so I'll bring some home, and have a second go.

If you try it, don't be impatient like me ... test it on a small area first.

A

Anonymous

Universal solvet might work, used with care and a soft cloth.

groundpound

thanks for the tips. i think i really messed this one up!! i thought i was going slow on it but i guess i wasnt slow enough. i'll post some pics when i get over my grief!!

jacketimp

groundpound said:
thanks for the tips. i think i really messed this one up!! i thought i was going slow on it but i guess i wasnt slow enough. i'll post some pics when i get over my grief!!

hey part of the learning curve.....at least it's not an ultra masterpeice that you've overgreased........