• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-45's

sixties.nut

Thanks watchmanjimg,

I'm not sure that having you go to the trouble of posting pic's would be necessary. Because I've already tried going straight to the horse and he tells me they don't sell the 45/P in no way shape or fashion. You have to be Issued this jacket, to get it.

This is really all I know, when I was a kid all the kids fathers wore the 45 and they of course were the real deal. It was also coincidently an Air Force town I grew up in.

About a month ago a customer came into my office wearing the green sage 45. It was clean and everything, it just looked as though the insulation batting had fallen from the chest and shoulders to around his waist. Kind of like he had a inflatable belly water ring tube on.

I'm looking to avoid that when I finally do get a fairly decent made 45. Would getting the fire retardant model ensure that it's a well made garment?

I'm thinking the poor example I just described was an Alpha type, however, I did not ask or strain to see the tale-tale Alpha logo tag.

Would they have this gear at an airshow that can be bought. I'm pretty much forced to take a leap of faith getting an AERO G-1 as I have no alternate choice with that one. Because of recent examples here with the bay and craigslist. I'm not a big fan of either.

I also got ripped off my first purchase and no recourse. My first and last at the same time. I have much more faith in my fellow man here in these forums VLJ and FL than the whole kit-n-kaboodle of the auction place.

It would be nice to go somewhere and see different varieties thats out there.

Thank you for the assistance and offer!
Mike

greyhound52

sixties.nut said:
Thanks watchmanjimg,

I'm not sure that having you go to the trouble of posting pic's would be necessary. Because I've already tried going straight to the horse and he tells me they don't sell the 45/P in no way shape or fashion. You have to be Issued this jacket, to get it.

This is really all I know, when I was a kid all the kids fathers wore the 45 and they of course were the real deal. It was also coincidently an Air Force town I grew up in.

About a month ago a customer came into my office wearing the green sage 45. It was clean and everything, it just looked as though the insulation batting had fallen from the chest and shoulders to around his waist. Kind of like he had a inflatable belly water ring tube on.

I'm looking to avoid that when I finally do get a fairly decent made 45. Would getting the fire retardant model ensure that it's a well made garment?

I'm thinking the poor example I just described was an Alpha type, however, I did not ask or strain to see the tale-tale Alpha logo tag.

Would they have this gear at an airshow that can be bought. I'm pretty much forced to take a leap of faith getting an AERO G-1 as I have no alternate choice with that one. Because of recent examples here with the bay and craigslist. I'm not a big fan of either.

I also got ripped off my first purchase and no recourse. My first and last at the same time. I have much more faith in my fellow man here in these forums VLJ and FL than the whole kit-n-kaboodle of the auction place.

It would be nice to go somewhere and see different varieties thats out there.

Thank you for the assistance and offer!
Mike

So I got a CWU-45 mil spec jacket at the Clothing Sales store in Los Alamtios CA back in 1995. Didn't have to be a pilot to buy it. Geniune item of course it was on base and only military personnel could go into the shop and buy. So here is a case of where you could buy one and not have it issued to you.

watchmanjimg

Certainly, George. Civilians can buy them all day long at Army/Navy stores if they're lucky enough to find a real one. I think the problem here is that Mike isn't too familiar with these and may not know what he's looking at. The contractors are definitely pulling his leg as to availability.

Did I ever mention the N-2Bs at the Ft. Drum MCSS for $50 in the late '80s? :D

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
Here's one David ............... item ref 3290

http://www.oldnautibits.com/stock_php/a ... hing_o.php

Thanks, Rich ... they turn up here. My Valley Apparel still has Pilot Officer stripes on the shoulders, but they're discreet enough for wear.

My L-2B is a better jacket for impersonations ... fortunately it's too small.

RNZAFL-2B.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
Could the "CAA-CGS" script refer to an order by the Civil Aviation Authority? This seems consistent with all other indications (UK seller, absence of US SPO markings).

Here's a regular Creative Apparel label, complete with SPO number. Another possibility for CAA is that it simply stands for Creative Apparel Assoc ...

de53e5c6b6.jpg

ausreenactor

Gents..

Have a pic of the Aussie made jacket label here somewhere. Got it from the Q-store at 5 Avn Regt in 07. Depending on the Qee you could either exchage them or have a crap taken off your Q Record and keep the good one. Last one I took in was a wreck I paid AU$11.00 for. They no longer issue the CWU but some new locally made thing. More like the Helo Jacket Flyers Lightweight. Crap.

Couchy

sixties.nut

greyhound52 said:
So I got a CWU-45 mil spec jacket at the Clothing Sales store in Los Alamtios CA back in 1995. Didn't have to be a pilot to buy it. Geniune item of course it was on base and only military personnel could go into the shop and buy. So here is a case of where you could buy one and not have it issued to you.

I hear ya ! It is not that way today though. I went waaay past silly money right into STUPID money, and the guy wouldn't budge.

I did recently find out that even the issued 45's are still sent out to Thailand to be modified for comfort/use. So going on that I might as well snag an Alpha and have my tailor insulate it. He did a excellent job with my G-1 other than sewing a patch on ten degrees off center. That I'm having to wait on again.

Who knows, maybe if I keep looking around here one will turnip. :mrgreen:

rich

Here's the Alpha I bought recently, it's in new unworn condition - do you think it's genuine military issue though? I'd
appreciate your opinions, thanks.

cw1.jpg

cw2.jpg

cw3.jpg

cw4.jpg

cw5.jpg

watchmanjimg

It looks fine to me. Someone has crossed off the SPO number with a marker, but I'd say that's an issued jacket.

rich

Thanks for that - after seeing pics of Alpha's faux Nomex, I was a little uneasy about what I've got.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
It looks fine to me. Someone has crossed off the SPO number with a marker, but I'd say that's an issued jacket.

Yes, everything looks fine ... but should it have the wee Alpha logo on the label?

800px-Alpha_Industries_logo.svg.png

Atticus

rich said:
Here's the Alpha I bought recently, it's in new unworn condition - do you think it's genuine military issue though? I'd
appreciate your opinions, thanks.

I'll bet its a '95 Alpha. Please look to see if you can still read the number that has been inked out. Should read "SPO 100 95 C XXXX".

AF

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:
watchmanjimg said:

Yes, everything looks fine ... but should it have the wee Alpha logo on the label?

800px-Alpha_Industries_logo.svg.png

David:

For whatever reason that strikes me as typical for Alpha items of more recent issue. With so much modern US gear being referred to as COTS (Commercial Off-the-Shelf) it's hardly surprising.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
David:

For whatever reason that strikes me as typical for Alpha items of more recent issue. With so much modern US gear being referred to as COTS (Commercial Off-the-Shelf) it's hardly surprising.

Thanks, Jim ... I wondered, as my issued Alpha 36/P doesn't have a logo. They are no fun when they keep changing the rules. It was so much easier when the Alpha civilian knock offs had the three lines through the label, and we could tell at a glance.

rich

I'll bet its a '95 Alpha. Please look to see if you can still read the number that has been inked out. Should read "SPO 100 95 C XXXX".

AF

AF, as far as I can see it's - SPO 100-95-D-4032. What gives it away to you as 1995?

USMC_GAU-21

The "100-95" the number 95 refers to the contract award date. Hence this jacket was produced under a 1995 contract award to alpha Industries. the jacket could have been made in 1997.....but the contract award was in 1995.

As far as I know Alpha is still required by the DFARS, and labeling instructions in the MIL-SPEC to put the three lines on the jacket label to denote a commercial item, and not "MIL-SPEC"

Alpha has had their little logo on the items in the system now for a few years. Just no black tag sewn into the cigarette pocket. that is strictly "commercial" jackets.

r/Gy Dan