• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-45's

Atticus

If you watch e-bay carefully, you can still get great deals on these jackets. Last year, I bought a mint CWU-36P for $9.99 and a mint CWU-45P for 99 cents. I also bought a not-so-mint, first edition CWU-45P for 99 cents. Since then, I have missed several CWUs that went for only twenty or thirty bucks apiece.

AF

watchmanjimg

This has been my experience as well. I've seen plenty of CWUs sell for over $200 on Ebay, but there's no great difficulty in finding them for a fraction of that. I don't recall paying more than $60 for any of mine, and most of them set me back between $15 and $40. Awhile back I fell into an opportunity with an Ebay seller who shipped me a boxful at around $35 each. I sold off a couple that didn't fit, and still cherish the mint Aussie-spec variant that an upstanding chap from this forum traded me for one of the rattier ones.

Regarding the early bi-swing versions specifically, I have a salty pre-CWU that I purchased for $25 a couple years back. The seller was none other than the controversial Rotenhan, late of VLJ. I paid somewhere in that neighborhood for the mint example (complete with signal flag) that now resides with Greyhound52. All is not lost as I traded it for an early 36 in like condition.

The bottom line is that it shouldn't be too hard to find these jackets cheaply, around $50 or less.

watchmanjimg

tcwu said:
never see a lable like that on US military version of 45P!

I noticed that as well. The web address on the label is odd, but I suppose it could have been stamped on post-production. Offhand I'm not sure whether the specifications are otherwise correct, but the jacket appears to be constructed of the proper aramid fabric.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
I noticed that as well. The web address on the label is odd, but I suppose it could have been stamped on post-production.

.... and there's no SPO number, so maybe they're an over run.

!Bjg,3-wBWk~$(KGrHqYH-EIEs+1oO+MRBLT2FpN-Mg~~_12.JPG

watchmanjimg

It is strange, isn't it? This may not solve the riddle, but I note that Mart Aviation is a UK-based outfit. Could the "CAA-CGS" script refer to an order by the Civil Aviation Authority? This seems consistent with all other indications (UK seller, absence of US SPO markings).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
... Could the "CAA-CGS" script refer to an order by the Civil Aviation Authority? This seems consistent with all other indications (UK seller, absence of US SPO markings).

That would fit ... our RNZAF issued examples still have the SPO number, but then, our air force is kinda small. :)

watchmanjimg

Those appear to be typical Alpha-produced military versions with the SPO number crossed off the label with ink. The lining is not removable.

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:
watchmanjimg said:
... Could the "CAA-CGS" script refer to an order by the Civil Aviation Authority? This seems consistent with all other indications (UK seller, absence of US SPO markings).

That would fit ... our RNZAF issued examples still have the SPO number, but then, our air force is kinda small. :)

David, do RNZAF-issued CWUs use labels identical to those in US-issued jackets? I ask because I checked my Aussie variant and while it has the NSN and MIL-J-8338xx numbers, it is otherwise a unique manufacturer's label (Signal One) without SPO number. Thus, I'm assuming that Creative Apparel was free to put whatever they chose on the label in lieu of the SPO. If my hypothesis is valid, presumably the script could reflect the intended recipient of the jackets. Or not . . . :?

watchmanjimg

johnny english said:
nice jacket , but I think large would be too big for me, I take an ELC size 40.
what do you reckon ?

I normally take a 42 in A-2s, but a Large CWU-45 runs roomy on me. I think a Medium would work best for you.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
David, do RNZAF-issued CWUs use labels identical to those in US-issued jackets?

Yes, identical ... currently I have a Valley Apparel, SPO100-03-D-4128, and I've had Alphas. So Australia makes it's own?

Regarding sizing, my experience is the same ... I need a Large L-2B, but a Medium 45/P fits fine.

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:
So Australia makes it's own?

It looks like it, David. I'll have to post a pic of the label in the Aussie jacket, but it's definitely in a unique configuration--complete with "broad arrow."

Getting back to CWU-45 sizing, I'm finding that they seem to have gotten this design just wrong. For me the Medium is a good length in body and sleeves, but a trifle snug in the upper chest and shoulders. I drown in the Large. The CWU-36 in Medium works well for length but is way too trim through the upper body for my liking. Large 36s fit OK in the body but exhibit major tunneling of the sleeves. I've actually debated shortening some of mine, but so far I haven't had the heart. Large MA-1s and L-2bs consistently fit me well, subject to the well-known variations in body length from contract to contract.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
... but it's definitely in a unique configuration--complete with "broad arrow."

Oh yeah ... that will be them. :)

The sizing works for me, I guess because I'm narrower in the shoulders. That said, it's a pity that it was ever changed from the old chest measurement sizing ... it's illogical that one size garment is ever going to fit everyone across two chest sizes.

rich

While you're there chaps, what's the difference between Aramid and Aromatic Aramid? Is Aramid an improved variant of Nomex?

sixties.nut

Hey, I don't want to sidetrack this man's conversation, but in terms of Aramide/Nomex etc.

Is there any place like a show were you can go to see all the jackets one against the other.

There are at least a half dozen manufacturers within a hours drive from me, all of them top brands etc.

When I email them to see about a retail offering, I always get the No we're not setup for that.

It's like they're saying: We heard you was in the gear buying mode and we're dubya dudya dot closed.

Please send us your four or five hundred dollars and HOPE we send you something serviceable in return.

I'd have a better chance working a deal with a crack-head whore, we'll at least she would have SOME

principals we're the surplus vendors don't.

It's been more than once I've been in Stoney's shoes or the guy who got the 'towels' for his hard work.

I feel much better with a touchey/feelie purchase over a website i.e. Creative Apparel where they don't

even give out their email address just to get the dubya dubya dot closed response.

It's for sure a tough nut to Crack. I read about an event in Philadelphia in June, is that where you

need to go to see this stuff first hand?

Thanks,
Mike

PS: It ain't no different in the watch buying business either. Just so you know.

watchmanjimg

Mike:

In my experience many government contractors are impossible to deal with directly. Militaria shows are a great place to see items in person, but I suppose you'd have to know what you're looking at in the first place so it's hard if you're not already familiar with the gear. Many Army/Navy stores nowadays sell mostly commercial copies of military items, so that's also a tough place to learn.

If you're particularly interested in fire-retardant military jackets I'd be glad to photograph some from my collection and post them here. I'm sure other forum members will be happy to help as well.