• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current G-1 Issue Spec Jacket

JDPNY

I just recently joined this site after purchasing a 1972 Star G-1 and was curious about flight jacket history. I have read many, many posts and am quite impressed on the existing knowledge base of the members.

My question pertains not to vintage jackets but rather on the current suppliers to the Navy for G-1 jackets as I am considering buying an issue jacket to go along with my existing one ... "Among those companys that are currently supplying the Navy, who manufactures a G-1 product with the highest quality?"

Thanks,

Jeff Patterson
CPT, USA (Ret)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Here's the most recent suppliers, courtesy Wikipedia ...

• PHARR BRAND NAME APPAREL (current supplier),
    EXCELLED SHEEPSKIN & LEATHER COAT CO.,
    SCHOTT BROS., INC.,
    AVIREX, LTD.,
    COOPER SPORTSWEAR MFG. CO., INC,
    ORCHARD M/C DIST. INC.,
    FERGUSON OF OKLAHOMA

rb3586

Excelled Leather has recieved DOD contracts, for Fed Supply Class 8415, (Clothing, Special Purpose) since 2000. They did have contracts from that year through to FY 2007. Excelled did not recieve contracts for Fiscal Years of 2003,2005 and 2008 during this period, as a matter of record.

Atticus

Just thought I'd mention...your '72 Star is a bit of a rare bird. Unless I'm mistaken, it has a black spec tag, even though it is an E-series jacket. The '72 Stars were the very last of the black-tag G-1s.

AF

JDPNY

Just thought I'd mention...your '72 Star is a bit of a rare bird. Unless I'm mistaken, it has a black spec tag, even though it is an E-series jacket. The '72 Stars were the very last of the black-tag G-1s.

Thank you for that information, yes it does have a black tag. I will post a pic for haha's tomorrow.

Jeff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rb3586 said:
Excelled Leather has recieved DOD contracts, for Fed Supply Class 8415, (Clothing, Special Purpose) since 2000. They did have contracts from that year through to FY 2007. Excelled did not recieve contracts for Fiscal Years of 2003,2005 and 2008 during this period, as a matter of record.

Thanks Rb .... and here's some details of the 2004 Pharr contract.

• Title: 84 -- JACKET, FLYER'S, G-1
    Agency: (Federal) Defense Logistics Agency
    FSC Code: 84 - Clothing, Individual Equipment, and Insignia
    Contract Award Date: May 17, 2004
    Contract Award Number: SP0100-04-D-4247
    Contract Award Amount: total max, base plus options, $5,602,500.00
    Contractor: Pharr Brand Name Apparel 1300 Maco Drive Pharr, TX 78577

Five million dollars !! That's a lot of jackets. :shock: