• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crown Zips

John Lever

Eastman have started to switch back to Talons after several failures of the Crown zip on Anj-4 jackets. The Crown on my B-3 is very dry and rasps so much that it sheds metal flakes.

Peter Graham

John, sounds like a terminal failure waiting to happen. It take it you've tried lubricating it with wax or similar ?

greyhound52

Interesting...because I had a failure on my crown zip on my buzz A2 and they sent another which I had put on locally....however the originals I had worked perfectly

stanier

I suspect this has been covered before, so apologies in advance, but do BR make the Crown zips for Eastman or they otherwise form the same source?

Cheers

John Lever

On the ELC site the implication is that they are made for Eastman. They look great but I think the old Talon is a smoother running zip.
I also like the Hooklesss on my BR B-2.

Marv

The Crown zipper on my ELC PH A2 seems fine but I have always prefered the Talon both in looks and usage and seems to have a smoother action when fastening on both my Star, G1 and House A2.

asiamiles

tcwu said:
MASH and BR are competitors.

Not really. MASH is an Osaka-based shop (used to be one in Daikenyama as well, but it closed down) whereas Buzz is line of clothing from Toyo Enterprises. MASH do produce some of their own merchandise - which could be said to be competing with Buzz stuff, though I doubt many see it as doing so - but on a fairly small scale. I only know of one dedicated Toyo store (in Yokohama Porters selling mainly their Hawaiian SunSurf shirts), but you can find their clothing in many outlets.

Isisllc

On my '04 ELC B3 the Talon puller failed after less than two years. Luckily, I had an original D-1 wirh Talon that I was able the rob from (the D-1 was in much poorer condition than the ebay auction had indicated...). The original puller has worked flawlessly. Off topic, I know, but still discussing repro zips.