• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conmar crapped out

Burnsie

I was warned off the repro Conmar zip when I bought a 1756 from Aero USA in '08 but I risked it knowing it was an appropriate zip to the contract. Well it's crapped out on me and while I wait for Mark to get back to me on charge and turnaround for a repair I thought I'd solicit some opinions: What's the best zip option? Should I go with another triple marked Talon (the one on my real deal seems to be going strong after 3 and a half years)? What are some of your thoughts on getting a name strip or insignia added while I'm at it? I go back and forth on that.

Robman

That sucks. Mine is going along just fine. I would have it replaced, keeping with the uniqueness of the Conmar.

hacker

Talon's are just a better zip than Conmar's...and that is the simple truth. I don't know that I would be all that much a stickler on originality when it comes to repro's, and would probably go with a Talon...but that's me!

Hacker

Grant

That's not necessarily true. Original Conmars can be just as durable as original Talons. It's the wanker repro Conmars that suck (along with some repro Talons).

I've got a couple of WWII deck jackets and A-2's with brass Conmars that're all going strong.

If it's the puller that's "crapped out" it's easy to remove the Conmar stopper box and replace the puller with an original. If it's the teeth or starter then yeah it may be best to replace the whole zip.

hacker

Look at the long line of military jackets that have come down the road using Talon's and Conmar's. Talon's are better!...IMHO!!! As an example, M422a jackets all used Talon's and it common to find most still going strong on those jackets. Ten years later Early G-1's used Conmar's, and they have the highest fatality rate among zippers on Navy goat jackets. As to repro zips, the only example I've had of a Conmar zip was on an Aero jacket, and I was not impressed!

Hacker

Grant

Sorry to disagree Hacker but that's news to me that 50's Conmars are bad. All my 7823's, from Cagleco to Monarch have the black finish Conmars that are doing just fine, ditto the early 50's N-1 deck jackets and matching coveralls. Also have a 40's leather half belt and a 40's civilian Aero with brass Conmars that are all good as new.

I'll stand by my earlier comment that it's the lame ass repro Conmars that suck.

Burnsie

Thanks for the feedback dudes! The starter is testy and the teeth are shot...all in all it did feel like a pretty flimsy job even when new. Live and learn, I would have liked to have kept it! I'll probably go with a Talon this time around - don't know if Aero is still offering NOS but I'll find out. (I notice you're perhaps wisely steering clear of the much more subjective namestrip and insignia debate!)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Burnsie said:
(I notice you're perhaps wisely steering clear of the much more subjective namestrip and insignia debate!)

We forgot .... leave the jacket plain. ;)

drew parker

I would have the nametag put on along with a squadron patch. That's what these jackets are for. I've always loved the a-2, but more so, what it stands for. I'm in the process of patching up a aero right now. I have alot of fun with it, and get alot of complements. :)

Marv

One of my first Aero A2's came with a repro Conmar zipper and it lasted about a month so I sent it back it came back with a repro Talon which I have had no problem with so I would have to agree.