• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap UK m65 liners?

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
I think the jacket/ liner combo is quite good but can't help feeling it could be way better. It is an iconic jacket and I just think the liner is a bit of an afterthought. Take for instace the frieze liner of the m51.

Tim, this is a good point but I think it stems from the learning process associated with transitioning from the use of natural fibers to synthetics. The frieze liner probably weighed a ton when wet and took forever to dry. Additionally, its satin exterior is relatively fragile. On paper the new polyfill liner probably seemed like a miracle, and the poncho liner of similar construction was very successful in Vietnam. By the late '80s the use of Gore-Tex and polypropylene became more widespread and their advantages over the M65/polyfill liner were immediately obvious.

These days troops wearing the current ACU incarnation of the M65 can probably wear one of the various fleece jackets underneath for extra warmth, which I have no doubt is far superior to the old setup. However, I can't see why they'd bother when the Gore-Tex parka is an available option.

Tim P

I know I am being critical, or seeming so. In fact the truth is that I like the idea of the button in liner and if the density of the batting was more compatible with good heat retention I would think it the best thing since sliced bread as interactive outdoor clothing is still a big seller in the outdoor clothing market.
I just see it as less than it could be but valuable nonetheless if that doesn't sound like too much of a contradiction.

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
I know I am being critical, or seeming so. In fact the truth is that I like the idea of the button in liner and if the density of the batting was more compatible with good heat retention I would think it the best thing since sliced bread as interactive outdoor clothing is still a big seller in the outdoor clothing market.
I just see it as less than it could be but valuable nonetheless if that doesn't sound like too much of a contradiction.

Tim, everything you said here makes perfect sense to me. The US Army's notion of the shell and liner began with the layering principle that served as the foundation of the M1943 ensemble. As I stated earlier in the thread, the use of lighter and faster-drying synthetics was seen as an improvement but over the years the concept has been further refined. The shell/liner combination remains valid today, but the specific materials involved in each component offer superior performance to the originals.

Tim P

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;) I like the fleecy inner though. Not for me still.

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
on the topic, what is the deal with this? I have one of these here. I have mentioned it before, this price seems a little, steep?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1965-M65-DuckH ... 418wt_1270

This seller is notorious for outrageously high prices, although occasionally they do offer rare items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-BATHI ... 307wt_1037

I assume this is just another Japanese fashion item, and I must admit the pattern isn't bad. If you buy it you'll be missing $789 . . . :lol:

Tim P

If you buy it you'll be missing $789 . . . :lol:[/quote]

true. in the case of the so sew, not even an issue item to give it military collectible status. in the case of bape, just basic jap pricing

Tim P

Well I am in a position to eat my words.
at 2.5 degrees celcius the M65 and liner combo is fine over a t shirt.

cheers Jim