• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap UK m65 liners?

Tim P

Anyone in the UK know a place to score liners for M65 jackets?
I need a 'large' one (no lengths with the liners). they are cheap as chips in the US, about $8, but all auctions seem to have them at a high postage cost and all UK based ones are pricier so its a catch 22. So I thought I would see if anyone knows of a tat surplus place in the UK where one can be grabbed for a couple of quid.

Anyone? :)

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
Cool, they go for nothing but cost between 20 and 30 bucks to ship from the US.

If I have one it will go for nothing but the shipping. Are you OK with the likely costs?

Tim P

See what I mean? they are just surplus crap really and are not that effective. I am surprised that US Cavalry or similar havent come up with an alternative that has heavier or more efficient insulation.
I can happily wear my M65 as a layer with a fleece or similar underneath and probably get more benefit but I thought that it might be nice to have the clothing system as originally envisaged. I had thought of sandwiching a sleeveless item between jacket and liner..

Steve27752

Tim P said:
See what I mean? they are just surplus crap really and are not that effective. I am surprised that US Cavalry or similar havent come up with an alternative that has heavier or more efficient insulation.
I can happily wear my M65 as a layer with a fleece or similar underneath and probably get more benefit but I thought that it might be nice to have the clothing system as originally envisaged. I had thought of sandwiching a sleeveless item between jacket and liner..

I bought my M65 and liner from
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info ... ts_id=2197
Nice people to do business with.

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
Jim to the rescue!
Bailing out my big arse :D

hope it has a cool dsa.... :lol:

Tim, as I recall it's mid-to-late '70s. Likely postwar, but wartime examples are harder to find than one might think.

I should be able to let you know by sometime this weekend.

Tim P

Only joking Jim, never look a gift horse in the mouth. The jacket itself is the important thing, the liners collectability is secondary to its functionality in this case.

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
Only joking Jim, never look a gift horse in the mouth. The jacket itself is the important thing, the liners collectability is secondary to its functionality in this case.

Of course, but seriously the liners are much less durable than the jackets and most 'Nam-era examples were probably worn out through the '70s and thereafter. I have only a handful of wartime-dated liners versus many jackets.

Peter Graham

Tim P said:
I'm actually surprised to hear your opinion on the M-65 liner Tim. I find my M-65 with liner fitted to be most effective and well designed in everything but the coldest weather. Now, the hood, that's a different matter. Good luck in your search.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Tim P said:
I'm actually surprised to hear your opinion on the M-65 liner Tim. I find my M-65 with liner fitted to be most effective and well designed in everything but the coldest weather. Now, the hood, that's a different matter. Good luck in your search.

Peter, my actual military experience wearing the M65 during cold-weather field exercises was that both shell and liner were inadequate due to poor insulating qualities when the jacket and/or wearer became dirty. The Gore-Tex ECWCS parka was vastly superior even without a liner underneath.

In civilian use it is presumed that both the garment and the wearer will be washed regularly, in which case the M65 and liner work just fine. :lol:

Weasel_Loader

Totally agree Jim. Once the Gortex jackets started arriving, we quickly got rid of our M-65s. The Gortex was much easier to work in and did not restrict movement as much as M-65. Ironically, I still have my first issued M-65 and was actually the first thing ever issued to me when I got off the bus at basic training.

As far as coolness goes though, the M-65 is far superior to the Gortex jackets. Something about a plain used OD M-65 that just says cool! :cool:

watchmanjimg

Weasel_Loader said:
Something about a plain used OD M-65 that just says cool! :cool:

You got that right, Danny. I picked up a near-mint '81 Winfield that served me well in my college years. Still have it, too.

Tim P

I think the jacket/ liner combo is quite good but can't help feeling it could be way better. It is an iconic jacket and I just think the liner is a bit of an afterthought. Take for instace the frieze liner of the m51.