• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap ELC Irvin 40 Opinions....

ausreenactor

Gents...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RAF-Sheepskin-Fl ... 240%3A1318

Soooooo very excited at the latest purchase, not five minutes ago! VGC used Eastman Irvin.
Now the race is on for a set of WPG RAF Battle Dress!! I was most impressed and had to tell
someone other than Tianna, who shrugged and feigned interest when I showed her the new
price PLUS shipping to Australia, which will probably run at AU$20 from Victoria.

yeeeba dooba dooh....

Regards...

Couchy

John Lever

Re: eBay.com.au ELC Irvin 40 BIN $330??

You got a real bargain there. Very undervalued IMO still the best version by some distance. Looks like it's got the better fleece colour rather than the too red of later jackets.

ausreenactor

Gentlemen! Thanks for your comments...Twas a good tip of the karma scale today after the Paypal "hit".
Tianna still shows no improvement in her support of the buy. I am certain, feeding and attending to the
lad in the wee hours of a Toowoomba winter will quickly sway her. The B-3 & D-1 saved the day(night)
several times in '06 when we were here last...

Will take some pics....of course...

Couchy

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

Brilliant deal, Couchy .... my size too.

I'm giving you my Dancing Calvin award.
calvindance.gif

Andrew

Wow, glad it wasn't a 46 or else i'd be really jealous, now i'm supportingly happy for you!

Trevor, I hope old "craigacocker" doesn't turn out to be a Barry Crocker with his no feedback and bargain price. Well done if it all goes well.

Toowoomba? Have you made the move from FNQ to Oakey Base?

ausreenactor

G'day!

Yes..I have become a "victim of my success" apparently and earnt an unwanted respite as an
Instructor for the next 10 trainees. Three deployments in as many years and they feel someone
else should do some of the work. So be it.

I noticed the seller had the jacket and a gucci vacuum. Clearing excess luxuries I think. Will see.

Strange thing to list out of the blue though. Surely you would list a bogus GW A-2 if you wanted to
sting someone!

Just found WPG is doing a Full set of RAF BD for only US$150 plus shipping. Time to buy I think. Just
checking out Air Diggers for rank and WAG wing...

Take care..

Couchy

Andrew

At least you'll get some more wear time from your jackets, it gets nipply in Toowoomba.

$150 is a good price and RAF was worn by RAAF when they couldn't get supplies but you can get the midnight blue done by Pegasus- they are apparently very good.

http://www.pegasusmilitaria.com/index_fichiers/raaf.htm

If that's not good enough Chris Kanca (Air Diggers) is selling a bolt of original fabric if you were interested in a project. Your gonna need a Peaked cap or side cap as well. I might be able to help you out there as I have a couple of original peaks and may consider moving one. Then comes the boots, mae west (Pegasus also) and on it goes.

Andrew

Forget all the above Trevor, just had a look at WPG and it's all too easy and cheap so I can't blame you- all you'll need is some AUSTRALIA shoulder titles to go with the RAF blue and i'm sure AD has those... Post some pics with the dogfighting hands when you get it all.

Jason

Nice catch Trev, I must have been napping with that one. Though, I have this odd feeling that I don't need any more jackets. What is wrong with me?
Good to see you got a bargain - especially considering our poor cross-rate at the moment.

ausreenactor

Just got this from the seller with the invoice..

Dear exsfchook,

Sorry, I just connected your message. Grateful you pay via Paypal. I will recalculate for registered post. Correct - it isn't an original, but it's made to original specs by Eastmans, and the main zip and hanging chain are original items I got them to use from an old Irvin jacket I had in UK that wore out. As it happens, I have an original Irvin jacket, Irvin flying trousers and 36 Pattern flying boots, all of which get very little use here in the heat!

Played dumb...and asked if it was original.....

Regards..

Warm and cosy soon Couchy

Andrew

ausreenactor said:
....all of which get very little use here in the heat!

He can't have been through an entire Melbourne winter yet.

ausreenactor

Gents...

The postie bought the Irvin my way today! Every bit as good as described if not better. No wear to outer
finish. Zip looks worn, and so it should. Original apparently!! As is the hanging chain. Will snap some pics and
upload them. Will see what caps I have...

Couchy

ausreenactor

Here is the jacket....

P1220577.jpg

And the zipper...Opinions sought please...Experts a plenty here...

P1220576.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andrew

Trev, you now own what I would consider the best repro Irvin- an ELC with an original DOT zip installed. If it doesn't have dot or FF sleeve zips that should be your quest to find and fit!

The leather fob is a standard ELC dongle, my 1941 Wareings has a fob (although different shape) on a DOT puller- the ELC type of wide fob is normally associated with the later Lightning puller (which is the type they have roughly modelled their zip on). Most DOT's i've seen have a simple cowhide slender wedgeshaped strip fixed like the strip of an A-2- I believe Andrew S fitted the one on mine.

Fob
RIMG0075.jpg

Strip
RIMG0040.jpg

Well done and that's a keeper. would like to see full BD, peak cap and '36 pattern boots shots in due course.

ausreenactor

Working on it. Just bought a RAAF Side Cap WITH buttons, having bought one without...Hard to locate on their own! Have to decide whether to start listing a few BR's and see what they fetch, or just dip into the savings. Have just bought a Remington 700 Police in .308 with scope just in case I ever have to reach out and touch someone. Probably a splurge given it will sit beside a Remington SPS Tactical in the same calibre. But it is longer!

The jacket is awesome! Sleeve zippers are just like the main zipper in the Golden Book. I have had a ELC B-3 in the same size, but the Irvin is a better fit. And being an Aussie I have some attachment to it. Only some. I like to think that some M&Z Force guys wore them on raids!! Real cold raids!

Couchy

Andrew

Sidecap- you probably got an OR's as they are the only ones usually available- I imagine that's the way you're heading? Yes, they demilled them by losing the buttons. OR's badges are pretty common, just make sure it's the Kings Crown type not the Queens (ie an outey not an inney on top).

I've got an Officers and they are very similar but the usual thing -better build quality as they are made with finer barathea wool, lined with silk and have a velvet band. If you wanna pass off as an Off. you'll need to get the correct badge- they had the eagle. If you want pics just ask.

I never heard about the Commandos using Irvins but I suppose they could have if operating in Nth Africa or Italy- not much use in Borneo. Tell me more :)

ausreenactor

Andrew...

I had a side cap with an original RAAF oxy wing on it. Sold it for stuff all a couple of years ago. Just spent $40 on the
side cap.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=004

Not sure what version it is...Happy with enlisted..

I am sure not many Commandos would have seen an Irvin. The odd Para up the food chain maybe...

Just trying to make it fit the soldier theme....and not just the airmen..

Couchy