• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz D-1

asiamiles

The wrong time of year meant that I was able to pick up this D-1 for a decent price. Hopefully, I can afford to hang on to this until winter when I can try it out, but my first impressions from trying it on is...I like it! As has been said before on here, there's not much to a D-1 but that shouldn't necessarily count as a negative, and this Buzz looks to me like a nice example and it fits just right. D-1's seem have significantly wider shoulders than other sheepskin jackets...is there any reason for this?

buzzd1.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
D-1's seem have significantly wider shoulders than other sheepskin jackets...is there any reason for this?

Whilst the aircraft mechanic is no doubt correct, is there any difference?

My Medium Few D-1 measures 18.5", my size 38 Buzz B-3 measured 19", and my current size 40 B-3 is 20" ... the D-1 has an extra inch across the chest.

John Lever

bristolherc said:
asiamiles said:
D-1's seem have significantly wider shoulders than other sheepskin jackets...is there any reason for this?

Made for real men......aircraft mechanics.....

Bevan.

Would working overhead beneath planes have a bearing on the design ?
Miles is this from their new stock or second hand ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
..... and I forgot to say congratulations.

D-1's are great jackets, their fan club is meeting here next week. ;)

asiamiles

Miles is this from their new stock or second hand ?
This was used, John. I got it at least US$200 cheaper than if I'd wanted to buy a similar one in winter.

My Medium Few D-1 measures 18.5", my size 38 Buzz B-3 measured 19", and my current size 40 B-3 is 20" ... the D-1 has an extra inch across the chest
Hmmm :?: I've always thought D-1's looked to have wide shoulders when lying flat (see above photo), though I guess the relatively small collar accentuates this, but even wearing it, there's significant shoulder droop (allowing for a relatively short sleeve measurement) even though the fit seems fine.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Hmmm :?: I've always thought D-1's looked to have wide shoulders when lying flat (see above photo), though I guess the relatively small collar accentuates this ...

Yes, maybe it's optical, with the smaller collar, and boxy design ... I did try on other contracts, and they all varied in fit. Mine's comfortable in the shoulders too, though the epaulets only measure 6".

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Yes, maybe it's optical, with the smaller collar, and boxy design ... I did try on other contracts, and they all varied in fit. Mine's comfortable in the shoulders too, though the epaulets only measure 6".
Yes, mine measure just 6 1/2 inches.

Jason

asiamiles said:
The wrong time of year meant that I was able to pick up this D-1 for a decent price.
Thats what I love about being in the southern hemisphere, being 180 degrees out of phase with the US, Europe & Japan... cheaper time to buy for our cooler season. David, Andrew, Couchy and our other SouPac bretheren know what I mean ;)

asiamiles said:
As has been said before on here, there's not much to a D-1 but that shouldn't necessarily count as a negative
Sometimes less is more; it makes a statement all of its own. And the D-1 speaks volumes without ever having to say a single word in that regard.

Looks great, hope you enjoy it when the weather turns cooler there.