• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

buffalo hide

Silver Surfer

when a jac is advertised as made of buffalo, the question that begs to be asked is,, what exactly is buffalo hide? n. american bison-buffalo?, indian water buffalo?, etal. soft and spongy? firm and in need of breaking in like hh? like cow?

John Lever

I think it could be the type of animal that is used to produce mozzarella ,a domestic rather than a wild animal.

John Lever

Nooooo!
I remember Ken had some excellent buffalo a while back, it would be great for the Aeromarine,so would some crusty goatskin.

bseal

Buffalo is like goatskin on steroids. Ultra grainy and thick, yet pliable. It's an excellent leather choice.

bfrench

Administrator
bseal said:
Buffalo is like goatskin on steroids. Ultra grainy and thick, yet pliable. It's an excellent leather choice.

Bit is it water buffalo from Asia or North American buffalo (bison)????

Vcruiser

Here's my Aero seal buffalo that they once offered(Water Buffalo). Not spongy but a crisp finish..although not near as stiff like HH. Needs little breaking in.
However...much of the buffalo sold in the USA has a somewhat spongy feel to it with a quite different grain(more pebbley). Supposedly American Buffalo or bison.

Dr H

John Lever said:
I think it could be the type of animal that is used to produce mozzarella ,a domestic rather than a wild animal.

Aren't the plain buffalo (bison) a protected species on Federal lands now?

John Lever

Dr H said:
John Lever said:

I can't see there being anywhere near enough to supply the leather industry. I think the animals in question are the ones used as draught animals in the far east.

sgbailey2002

Dr H said:
John Lever said:

Not in the USA. Anybody can raise Buffalo (bison) and do what they want with them. There are some herds living in National Parks that are protected as long as they stay within the park boundaries.

Skip (the original)

a2jacketpatches

Terry Bison Ranch in Wyoming has huge herds of buffalo, just outside of Cheyenne. I lived there over a decade ago. You could buy skulls, hair on hide, jerky, you name it. Very expensive but available.