• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brent's Sportswear MA-1

Atticus

Hi Folks,

Not sure whether to put this post in "Nylon" or in "Repros".

I just picked up a Brent's Sportswear 1st model MA-1. I'm not much about repros, but I have to say that I'm damned impressed with this jacket. Its a shame that Brent's doesn't still make something like this.

It is constructed like the originals with wool batting for insulation, so it weighs as much as an original. It has a blackened, paperclip-style zipper. I think its an Ideal, which is certainly nothing like a NOS Conmar, but its close enough to the mark that it looks alright at a distance. The jacket has got a squared windflap, mic and O2 tabs, a sorta authentic looking black and gold spec tag, leather pulls on both zippers, an interior Air Force roundrel and a crooked, cheap looking shoulder roundrel. The interior roundrel looks fine, but I think I'll have to do something to tone down that screamin' shoulder roundrel. Its spoiling the whole look of the jacket.

The only real complaint I could have is that this jacket is exactly the proper color of a 1967-1975 MA-1---but it isn't that elusive grey-green of the early models. Truthfully, though, I'm not sure if anyone has ever captured that fifties shade of sage green. As I recall, Buzz or somebody once tried zapping their nylon jackets with radiation trying to recreate the color of high-altitude, sunlight-exposed nylon. I'm not sure if they were successful.

I don't know if anyone is interested in seeing photos of a Brent's Sportswear jacket, but if I can, I'll post some this weekend.

AF

greyhound52

Come on where are the Pics of this jacket you know the rules :lol: Just for grins here are photos of what I think is the finest repro MA-1 I have ever (and still do) own. My MASH 1963 D model. Made with original NOS knits and zippers. Enjoy AF.

DSC03255.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

DSC03257.jpg

Weasel_Loader

I think I've only seen one Brents MA-1 before and it was a Small. That's a pretty nice repro that shouldn't have it your pocket too hard. Right there with Alpha Replica in my opinion. Looks like your going to have to produce some photos there Geoff if you want to convince us that you actually found one. :lol:

George, I really envy you to have found a nice MASH MA-1. That contract is by far my most favorite of the MA-1s. I'm still after a clean X-Large version either original or an even more rare MASH version such as yours. ;)

Atticus

Here's some photos of the Brents MA-1. I understand that its probably not on par with a Buzz, but heck, I only paid thirty bucks for it. I plan to do something to tone down that screamin' shoulder decal...and I'll hit the zipper with some steel wool to dull it a bit...and maybe I'll even add a repro patch to the chest, I'm not sure yet.

decemberfish005.jpg

decemberfish006-1.jpg

decemberfish007.jpg

decemberfish006-2.jpg

decemberfish008.jpg

AF