• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Breaking in Leather Jackets--Definite Do's and Don't's

I had the jacket dry cleaned about 2 years ago, after my then infant son threw up all over it while I was holding him!
I thought I'd start this thread on breaking in jackets after reading Chris 217's explantion quoted above as to how his Eastman B-10 came to have that vintage look. http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2981

I've been wearing repro A-2's for almost 15 years, and like many of us, l like the vintage look; I want my repro to look not like 1942 in a box, but like 1944 after 35 missions. Mostly I just wear one jacket hard day-in and day-out, but I've also discovered some definite DO's and DON'T's when it comes to achieving that desired look:

DO: Get your jacket wet, and wear it wet until it dries. It's only sensible to be somewhat protective of a $500+ leather jacket, but protecting it from the rain and the elements will not help you achieve the look. I wore an aniline Eastman 1401 hard for years and it broke in well, but it never looked like a WW2 A-2 until it got soaked through in the rain 2 or 3 times. Each time, after it dried, the grain was more pronouned, and all the leather panels but espeically the pocket flaps and collar, lost the "ironed" look that they had kept since the jacket was new. So wear that high-end repro into a cold shower if you have to, but get it soaked, and keep the jacket on until the leather dries.

DON'T: Don't take a cat to the vet--at least not a cat with claws--while wearing a leather jacket. Scratches, gouges and teeth marks do not really contribute to an authentic 50 mission look. Human blood, while perhaps morbidly authentic, doesn't really make it either.

Anyone else have some definite DO's or DON'T's?

stubbyeighth

I am a new member but have owned several Aero and Lost Worlds Horsehide jackets. i just picked up a new horsehide Lost Worlds Rigger (slightly adjusted) on ebay. The rain and bad weather came in over the last few days and the jacket just keeps getting better and better.

I ride a good bit and have had a couple of J-24's besides being weather resistant to wind, doesn't really bother me to get rained on.

Wilbur

Lignemaginot

stubbyeighth said:
I had the jacket dry cleaned about 2 years ago, after my then infant son threw up all over it while I was holding him!
I thought I'd start this thread on breaking in jackets after reading Chris 217's explantion quoted above as to how his Eastman B-10 came to have that vintage look. http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2981

I've been wearing repro A-2's for almost 15 years, and like many of us, l like the vintage look; I want my repro to look not like 1942 in a box, but like 1944 after 35 missions. Mostly I just wear one jacket hard day-in and day-out, but I've also discovered some definite DO's and DON'T's when it comes to achieving that desired look:

DO: Get your jacket wet, and wear it wet until it dries. It's only sensible to be somewhat protective of a $500+ leather jacket, but protecting it from the rain and the elements will not help you achieve the look. I wore an aniline Eastman 1401 hard for years and it broke in well, but it never looked like a WW2 A-2 until it got soaked through in the rain 2 or 3 times. Each time, after it dried, the grain was more pronouned, and all the leather panels but espeically the pocket flaps and collar, lost the "ironed" look that they had kept since the jacket was new. So wear that high-end repro into a cold shower if you have to, but get it soaked, and keep the jacket on until the leather dries.

DON'T: Don't take a cat to the vet--at least not a cat with claws--while wearing a leather jacket. Scratches, gouges and teeth marks do not really contribute to an authentic 50 mission look. Human blood, while perhaps morbidly authentic, doesn't really make it either.

Anyone else have some definite DO's or DON'T's?

stubbyeighth

I'd concur with breaking-in leather jackets by wearing them in the rain (something I'd never do with a vintage A-2, which is one of the many reasons I bought the Goodwears) - just don't ever put them near any intense heat source to dry - best to either (as you said) wear them til they dry, or drape them over the bannisters.

Chris217

Excellent topic!!

Going back on the experience of taking the B-10 that Jr. yaked on to the dry cleaners, I wouldn't do it agian. When I got the jacket back from the dry cleaners the knit cuffs were stretched beyond belief, and the waistband as well. They had also hot pressed the jacket. I had to stick the knits in hot water to get them to tighten back up. Yes, the shoulder decal looks nice now, but for a minute there I thought I had ruined the jacket.

zoomer

Be sensible about wearing your wet leather till it dries. This is a great way to catch cold this time of year, even around the house.

kitty z doesn't seem to have much of a leather fetish, but I take her to the vet and back in her flight bag anyway.

dujardin

yes, for sure an excellent topic...

i bought a GW and ask Jerome to paint the back and also patches.
and now, i'm to anxious to wear my favourite jacket everyday because i don't wish to ''destroy her''.
so, she'is still as ''brand new'' and she get no ''aged look'' because most of the time on a manniquin.
i'm scared to wear my jacket because i may wear her when i'm in my car and i don't want to have the problem already discussed of the abrasion by the safety belt .
and also because i don't want to bring damage - abrasion on the splendid work Jerome realise with the back of the seat.
and i can't wear my jacket on my duty, also not when i'm sleeping...
so, how can i get an ''aged look'' ???? just be patient.
also a question that i have, will the rain (or water treatment) can provide damage or fading to the paint????
another question, how can i have my jacket less ''shining'' ?????????
and i have not many free time to wear my jacket, too busy with my job + work at home.
and now, it's a little bit too cold for an A2

byeeeeeeeee marcel

better duck

dujardin said:
also a question that i have, will the rain (or water treatment) can provide damage or fading to the paint????
another question, how can i have my jacket less ''shining'' ????????? marcel

Marcel, you'll have to make up your mind: either preserve it like it is (i.e. brandnew) for all eternity, sitting on that mannequin, of just wear it. Rain won't hurt either the jacket or the paint. Rain and wear wil take the shine away slowly but surely.
Seatbelts won't hurt your jacket one bit. And the paint: I have my Better Duck jacket, nearly 20 years old, with thickly put on paint. I have slept on the jacket, folded it in every which way and thrown it in bags, on the floor and where not: the artwork is all still in one piece. Point is, unless you do silly things like rolling in the mud, we, modern day gents, travelling about in our padded cars to and from our cushy office jobs (well, most of us I guess), can't wear it as hard as those youngsters did in WW2, sitting in and moving through their metal planes, swathed in parachute harnasses, Mae Wests and other hardware, and - let's not forget - wearing it almost day and night, to parties and on 48 hour leaves too!
My advice to you is: just wear it! That's what I'll do when my ELC Star with "Kneediing a Lift" artwork arrives!

dujardin

better duck said:
dujardin said:
another question, how can i have my jacket less ''shining'' ????????? marcel

Marcel, you'll have to make up your mind: either preserve it like it is (i.e. brandnew) for all eternity, sitting on that mannequin, of just wear it. Rain won't hurt either the jacket or the paint. Rain and wear wil take the shine away slowly but surely.
Seatbelts won't hurt your jacket one bit. And the paint: I have my Better Duck jacket, nearly 20 years old, with thickly put on paint. I have slept on the jacket, folded it in every which way and thrown it in bags, on the floor and where not: the artwork is all still in one piece. Point is, unless you do silly things like rolling in the mud, we, modern day gents, travelling about in our padded cars to and from our cushy office jobs (well, most of us I guess), can't wear it as hard as those youngsters did in WW2, sitting in and moving through their metal planes, swathed in parachute harnasses, Mae Wests and other hardware, and - let's not forget - wearing it almost day and night, to parties and on 48 hour leaves too!
My advice to you is: just wear it! That's what I'll do when my ELC Star with "Kneediing a Lift" artwork arrives!

Peter,

veel bedankt,

you resume the situation perfectly.
i was a little bit ''affraid'' but now, i will follow your way.
i will wear my jacket in every (normal) situation.
wow, i'm aliveeeeeeeeeeeeeee

thanks again

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

I can share a bit in this thread, as I've been misting my Goodwear Dubow with water and then driving in it or I wear it around the house until it drys. The thing I've noticed in doing this is, that if the graining isn't inherently there to begin with it doesn't seem to make much difference. Some of the pieces on my jacket remain smooth regardless of the water or wear I give them. The other pieces have really grained up. Here's a few B&W pics to show it. These pics were taken about a month ago and the graining has increased even more since.
IMG20071102_20081127_0001_4.jpg

IMG20071102_20081127_0001_2.jpg

IMG20071102_20081127_0001_3.jpg

greyhound52

CATS and BABIES appear to be really definite Don't's. You might want to add dogs as one decided to use one of my jackets as a place to relief herself. No longer have dog. :lol:

MikeyB-17

DSCF1348.jpg

My old ELC Steer A-2 got like this through years of honest wear-it got wet a few times, I used it as a pillow, or slept in it, and when I fancied a bit of a Catch-22 scuffed look I started deliberately rubbing up against concrete walls, and at one point took Aero's advice, rolled it into a ball and kicked it around the concrete patio for a while. None of it has done it any harm-the knits and lining are coming up for replacement, but after ten years I expect that anyway.

Jason

I've got two tips here:
* for all jackets, wear it, wear it a bit more, and then wear it just a little more than that. Has worked for my ELC 1401P, Aero Real Deal, and now working for my Goodwear. Someone once said that using a rowing machine while wearing a jacket can accelerate the worn look.
* for those with bulletproof lacquer finish: a light rub with a plastic dish scouring pad helps ease the shine - done this with my RMCNZ russet goat Roughwear.

Stony

Don't send you Buzz Rickson L-2 to the dry cleaners as the Air Force winged star on the left sleeve will fade to almost unseeable. :(

jacketimp

greyhound52 said:
CATS and BABIES appear to be really definite Don't's. You might want to add dogs as one decided to use one of my jackets as a place to relief herself. No longer have dog. :lol:

george,

a female dog is a b.tch!

:)

greyhound52

jacketimp said:
greyhound52 said:

george,

a female dog is a b.tch!

:)

You got it. Also forgot to add my cat story as my previously owned cat pooped on one of my original G-1s. It took forever to get that smell out. No longer have cat or jacket.

CBI

OK, a slightly different perspective (maybe). I own a lot of jackets with only a 5 month weather window were I live to wear them (all A-2's and an A-1). I love these jackets but not a brand new look and not a 60 year old look. Somewhere between 100 and 200 combat flight hours is my preferred look! It takes me a very long time to get to this point/look “just” wearing them. In addition I enjoy painting them and my favorite thing is ………………………. Weathering them, I just love it. Goat is hard to age seeing as its so tough so I leave the goats alone (except for painting, actually, I have aged one adding wear using paint). Cow and horse – great! A new jacket arrives, I wear it for a few days, decide for sure all is OK. I then start crinkling up the jacket with my hands, telescoping the arms, pressing them into the ground, etc. Then, using 90% rubbing alcohol, I weather the seams, edges: pockets, collar leather next top knits, etc. This adds a great used look. Done carefully, it takes 4 to 6 hours per jacket with the alcohol. One can also use the harder plastic scrub portion of a sponge but that does actually scratch the leather. I have hot water treated about 15 jackets most of which could be characterized as “new”. Some others don’t get the hot water. I use warm to hot water in the tub, let the jacket soak through, wring it out and put it (zipped up) in the dryer ON A REGULAR SETTING not low heat. I then check the jacket every 20-30 minutes. After an hour or so, I turn the jacket inside out (still zipped) and back in the dryer as long as it takes to dry the liner and knits. Then, right side out for the remainder. Its easy to wimp out towards the end (letting it air dry that last little bit so there is no damage) but this is the best part and the final drying with heat really makes the grain pop (removes oils, water, etc). Higher heat - more pop (also more chance of damage but .....) Total time 3 hours+ (that with the checking time thrown in). I have done this with brand new Aeros, ELC, and Goodwears. I have never had any problem doing this, no jacket damage of any kind. Sometimes one can use alcohol on the jacket to add some age (areas other than seams). In regards artwork, I do that after a water treatment if I am planning on really aging before painting. I am not sure I would do all of this heavy weathering after a paint job. I would not do anything to an original but I no longer collect those. For me, my main hobby/challenge if you will with repro A-2’s is seeing how well I can age them. Strange I know but really fun and for me, worth the risk! All of my jackets (painted and unpainted) have some ageing that I have added. Just a little seam work can make a HUGE difference. Yes, I am a dork.

better duck

Jason said:
Someone once said that using a rowing machine while wearing a jacket can accelerate the worn look.
As the owner and rather intensive user of a Concept 2 D-model rower I can tell you why: you sweat a lot on an indoor rower anyway (as with any indoor fitness apparatus), simply because there is no wind and most of the time the inside temperature is quite warm. You'll sweat A LOT MORE when rowing clothed in a leather jacket. What this does is emulate at least this one effect of being in a combat situation: you sweat. Many a time you read that flight crew were drenched in sweat either when in airial combat in a fighter plane, or - literally - sweating out fighter attacks of flak barrages in a bomber.
You'll get a salty jacket, were, from the inside out, patches of leather will turn whitish from the salt deposit in the leather.
So this way you help give your jacket that "100 - 200 combat hour look" and your phyiscal condition will improve as well - if you don't die of a heart attack first. Some of better consult their physician before starting this method.... ;)

fishmeok

One thing to be careful about when running a jacket through the dryer, depending on the leather the hide will shrink- I've taken a 48 down to a 46 this way (deliberately). I have not run across a jacket that has been damaged by running through the wash- high or low end. My preferred method for custom fit and graining is to put it in the washing machine and fill with cold water until the jacket is soaked, then spin dry and wear until the fit is to your taste. I just did this to jacket #4 and it saved a slightly wonky fit (too tight across the back, but I have no one to blame but myself for that since I made the damn thing). It also turns a smooth leather into a nicely grained one. It makes the cowhides I have been using look a lot like broken in horse.

Marcel- wear the jacket!!! Jerome uses acrylics with a topcoat, it will not wear off unless you take sandpaper to it.

Cheers
Mark

Before:
IMG_0686.jpg

After
IMG_0753.jpg

CBI

D'OH!!!! I knew I forgot to mention something! Yes, the warm/hot water soak followed by the dryer WILL shrink the jacket by up to 1/2 to one size. The jackets that I have given this treatment to have room for shrinkage.