• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brass Spit

Grant

Picked this up from a vintage clothing collector. It's small, with a 3" wing span, but makes a cool little paper weight.

spit.jpg

Grant

Hi John,
Those wings are as beautiful a design as anything Brancusi, Henry Moore or any other artist has ever designed.

Falcon_52

I couldn't agree more, Grant. The Spitfire has to be one of the most beautiful creations man has ever made.

Noel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I have my father's brass Lancaster, but for some reason, trench art fighters are harder to find ... guess those pilots didn't have so much time on their hands.

John Lever

Grant said:
Hi John,
Those wings are as beautiful a design as anything Brancusi, Henry Moore or any other artist has ever designed.
Strange, but when we go to Ikea in Southampton we drive past the Supermarine works site !

Bluebottle

That Spit is lovely! I live and work in Southampton, and my daily commute is a cycle ride over the Itchen Bridge, which goes directly over the old factory. You can still see the slipway that the flying boats used. Where the office block used to be is now an area where they grade the gravel they dredge out of the river.

Here's our bit of 'trench art'. It belonged to my wifes grandfather, but I don't know it's history. I think it may have been a commercial piece, not homemade. You could buy these rough cast, and polish them yourself, I've been told.

4512156929_d6dd92e9ba_b.jpg

The stand was made by a good friend. It's a Merlin valve from a Lancaster that crashed in the UK during the war.

4512156937_41c590d59c.jpg