• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BoB Irvin on the way

BONNIEGIRL4

I ordered a BoB Irvin from HPA today, should be here tomorrow. My first step back into the hobby since my wife passed away eight months ago, I'm actually kind of excited to see the jacket - TOM

Andrew

Good to see you back and looking forward to some shots or a review. Really sad news about your Wife and best of luck moving ahead.

Tim P

What can we say? welcome back, a little self indulgence never hurt anyone. good choice with the Irvin.

BONNIEGIRL4

After 4 weeks with the jacket and getting good weather for it, I am astonished at the Broken in look already. This jacket is an achievement-TOM

Roughwear

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
After 4 weeks with the jacket and getting good weather for it, I am astonished at the Broken in look already. This jacket is an achievement-TOM

Any chance of some pictures Tom?

BONNIEGIRL4

After all these forums and years, dealing almost exclusively with the A-2, How did the Irvin explode onto the forums both here and over at Hat's n Spats ? Is this THE seminal flight jacket ? And not the A-2 as we all presupposed - serious question - TOM

John Lever

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
After all these forums and years, dealing almost exclusively with the A-2, How did the Irvin explode onto the forums both here and over at Hat's n Spats ? Is this THE seminal flight jacket ? And not the A-2 as we all presupposed - serious question - TOM
Tom,
Good question. Could it be that it's such a simple design with subtle variations between manufacturers. To me there is something very masculine about the body shape the jacket gives without being over showy.
The colour of the wool could be another factor.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
BONNIEGIRL4 said:
How did the Irvin explode onto the forums both here and over at Hat's n Spats ?

I think it's all down to the enthusiasm of Andrew, Tom.

Keep watching ... he'll have you playing cricket next. ;)

John Lever

deeb7 said:
BONNIEGIRL4 said:

Keep watching ... he'll have you playing cricket yet. ;)

They already do,it's called Baseball over there.
BTW where are the photos ?

rich

I think we Brits have to make a lot of the Irvin because (as far as I know) it's the only leather/sheepskin flying jacket issued by the RAF to aircrew. Other than the Sidcot or Taylor suit (gunners only) what else is there? :(
Our American brothers on the other hand are completely spoiled for choice. :D

John Lever

rich said:
I think we Brits have to make a lot of the Irvin because (as far as I know) it's the only leather/sheepskin flying jacket issued by the RAF to aircrew. Other than the Sidcot or Taylor suit (gunners only) what else is there? :(
Our American brothers on the other hand are completely spoiled for choice. :D
Even the Sidcot was from WW1.

Burnsie

deeb7 said:
BONNIEGIRL4 said:

Keep watching ... he'll have you playing cricket next. ;)

Aha - Andrew is playing Jedi mind tricks..."you love Irvins more than A-2s...these aren't the droids we're looking for...."

Roughwear

Great stuff! I actually like the Irvin as much as the A2! The Irvin is a very comfortable and sensible jacket to wear in the winter in the UK and this year I have worn Irvins more than ever before. The A2 is the jacket I wear more though in the other three seasons, unless there is a chill in the air! BTW I have more original A2s (12) than Irvins (8) at the moment.

There are quite a few peolple in the other place who love Irvins and have contributed extensively to the Irvin threads there.