• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Anchor MA-1 Help

therookie

I’m hoping someone can educate me on one of my recent finds. I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to identifying repros. Hardware and patina seem to check the right boxes for an original, but I’d rather get the seal of approval from someone that’s been around the block. I’m only concerned as the condition is pretty damn nice. Stencil is virtually unfaded and all the wool is near perfect (two or three small nibbles on the collar).

I’m having a hard time unearthing any info on the Blue Anchor MA-1 — let alone the company itself, but have scraped up a bit of info on the earlier “8279”, but found that they are Lion and not Blue Anchor. I’m hoping/assuming that’s a good thing?

Anyways, am I looking at the real deal or Real McCoy’s?

Please school me!

edit: Also, I’m hoping to have it dry cleaned in order to remove the yellowing around the shoulders. Should I worry about the stencil heavily fading during on round of dry cleaning? If so, I will avoid cleaning at all costs.

29E2AEA8-93EF-452F-B630-1D220FE611EF.jpeg
3E933B45-B4EE-460D-96BB-A65F8BFAE33B.jpeg
42415ED3-5B3F-4AA8-BEB8-348B5330B832.jpeg
E3975554-B52C-4EBD-9A1A-222C637C44C4.jpeg
21CC815B-3849-4775-AA47-873A78245C44.jpeg
67E53942-3588-45A3-A5F7-99D91BE02895.jpeg
368CEA82-255B-484B-93A8-16016A013164.jpeg
6EE88C77-353F-4A2E-B029-0B3989FB296E.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hey Rookie
Welcome to VLJ .
Let me suggest that if you posted your images using the full image mode rather than the thumbnails, you might get a better response to your questions . These thumbnails are a pain to open up and most of the time we get 1/2 the of the photo.

therookie

Hey Rookie
Welcome to VLJ .
Let me suggest that if you posted your images using the full image mode rather than the thumbnails, you might get a better response to your questions . These thumbnails are a pain to open up and most of the time we get 1/2 the of the photo.
Thank you and thank you for letting me know! I’ve edited accordingly.

B-Man2

I would not dry clean this jacket for the exact reason you mentioned . A few of the guys have GENTLY washed their jackets like this and had a lot of success doing that. You can search the archives for that thread or hopefully the member who wrote it will pop up and give you some suggestions . Thanks for the bigger photos .

bazzer

yes wash it by hand with Woolite and put it in the washing machine to rinse and spin only. Works wonders with my nylons
I agree woollite no conditioner warm water and let air dry in well vented room
not airing cupboard as will dry to fast
The wool in the coat lining has scales like humans hair and if you dry it out to quickly the wool contact shrinking jacket
Be careful with spin speed as this can also have the same effect
If you have it dry cleaned it will have negative effect on the usaf decal
Baz