• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Warbird photo you have taken.

B-Man2

The A-36a Apache , the predecessor to the P-51 Mustang
37C9812F-37E7-4735-ABE8-C7C2CAB92606.jpeg
69D2087A-1867-47CD-BA3B-9D2EFA23D6E0.jpeg

galvestonokie

i don't know if this is the best warbird pic i ever took but it is certainly among the most dramatic. This USMC UH-1E gunship experienced a tail rotor failure while on a combat op in Vietnam in 1969. as i recall the pilot attempted a run-on landing on Highway 9 East of the Rockpile. Needless to say, it didn't go well. Three of the crewmen were banged up but returned to flight status. the pilot was medevaced to the US with back injuries. the aircraft was returned to the base on a flatbed truck, as i recall. The transmission is nearest the camera, followed by the tail boom and then the fuselage.

wrecked gunship.JPG

Paul Glover

If you look closely enough in this photograph you will see a number of pieces of a fallen warbird, namely Lancaster LL919w .
About twelve years ago my late Father invited me to attend a local library where a war enthusiast was giving a talk on bomber command.
Dad brought along one of his bowling friends mr John Pickstone, himself being a war veteran serving on Lancs in the R A F.
The day went well and John shared with us some stories of his exploits and also told us of the loss of his cousin a member of the aircrew again on Lancasters.
A few months later my dad handed to me a carrier bag full of magazines and books all flight related having been sent to me from John Pickstone.
At that time I was in full time employment and my time was limited, the bag of magazines were placed in a cupboard until i could read them.
After about twelve months my dad told me that John had passed away sad news indeed.
His death prompted me to dig out the magazines and I came across a paperback book (cover attached to photos) relating to the last flight of Lancaster LL 919w.
Low and behold the book came about by another relative of John,s asking the author (a family friend) to research the crash and death of their cousin Sgt Alan Pickstone.
The Lancaster had been the victim of a night fighter attack whilst en route to Schweinfurt in April 1944.
It came down close to a small village called Landeville dom remy near to Chaumont.
Only one of the crew survived, the rest being recovered by the villagers and buried in the church grounds.
I am fortunate enough to now be retired and enjoy touring Europe in my motorhome, usually visiting prominent ww2 battle grounds.
I felt compelled to visit Landeville having read the book and met John wno,s cousin perished in the crash (who incidentally was born and raised near to my home).
Landeville is a very small village and is all but abandoned and derelict,apart from the church where the crew are buried.
Their graves are tended to regularly and are immaculate.
My wife agreed to wait in the van whilst I set off on my bike armed with a metal detector hoping to pinpoint the wreckage of the plane reportedly in a nearby woods.
The crash site was in a valley of at the time young trees but I soon came to realise that after seventy odd years the trees had grown somewhat!.
I rode to the bottom of the valley and due to the thickness of the tree cover it was almost dark.I realised that it would be futile to use the metal detector due to the terrain and I decided to abort the mission.
By this time I was at the bottom of a very steep hill and started to push the bike up .
Due to the incline I stopped for a breather resting the bike against a tree, it was then that I saw several chunks of metal and melted alloy sticking out from the layers or pine needles.
It didnt take long to realise that the bits of metal were aircraft related.
Now I know that this next bit of my story might attract differences of opinion but I took some of the articles in order to try and determine that they were definately part of the ill fated Lanc.
I have included a photo of the items, i managed to identify 4 pieces of an inert 4lb incendiary bomb, the like of which LL919w was carrying when it was shot down.
For me it was very humbling to have met John and then visited the site and also payed my respects to the fallen servicemen.
I will keep the parts and book and hopefully be able to pass the story to my grandchildren and encourage the continuance of the knowledge of the sacrifices made by that generation
The book is well worth a read, and the village worth a visit if you are passing..

Attachments

• IMGP0047.JPG
    IMGP0047.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20201217_154634558.jpg
    IMG_20201217_154634558.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20201217_154656678.jpg
    IMG_20201217_154656678.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 141
  • landeville 4.JPG
    landeville 4.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20201230_190027419.jpg
    IMG_20201230_190027419.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 2014-09-19 13.42.21.jpg
    2014-09-19 13.42.21.jpg
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 155

Chris 55

If you look closely enough in this photograph you will see a number of pieces of a fallen warbird, namely Lancaster LL919w .
About twelve years ago my late Father invited me to attend a local library where a war enthusiast was giving a talk on bomber command.
Dad brought along one of his bowling friends mr John Pickstone, himself being a war veteran serving on Lancs in the R A F.
The day went well and John shared with us some stories of his exploits and also told us of the loss of his cousin a member of the aircrew again on Lancasters.
A few months later my dad handed to me a carrier bag full of magazines and books all flight related having been sent to me from John Pickstone.
At that time I was in full time employment and my time was limited, the bag of magazines were placed in a cupboard until i could read them.
After about twelve months my dad told me that John had passed away sad news indeed.
His death prompted me to dig out the magazines and I came across a paperback book (cover attached to photos) relating to the last flight of Lancaster LL 919w.
Low and behold the book came about by another relative of John,s asking the author (a family friend) to research the crash and death of their cousin Sgt Alan Pickstone.
The Lancaster had been the victim of a night fighter attack whilst en route to Schweinfurt in April 1944.
It came down close to a small village called Landeville dom remy near to Chaumont.
Only one of the crew survived, the rest being recovered by the villagers and buried in the church grounds.
I am fortunate enough to now be retired and enjoy touring Europe in my motorhome, usually visiting prominent ww2 battle grounds.
I felt compelled to visit Landeville having read the book and met John wno,s cousin perished in the crash (who incidentally was born and raised near to my home).
Landeville is a very small village and is all but abandoned and derelict,apart from the church where the crew are buried.
My wife agreed to wait in the van whilst I set off on my bike armed with a metal detector hoping to pinpoint the wreckage of the plane reportedly in a nearby woods.
The crash site was in a valley of at the time young trees but I soon came to realise that after seventy odd years the trees had grown somewhat!.
I rode to the bottom of the valley and due to the thickness of the tree cover it was almost dark.I realised that it would be futile to use the metal detector due to the terrain and I decided to abort the mission.
By this time I was at the bottom of a very steep hill and started to push the bike up .
Due to the incline I stopped for a breather resting the bike against a tree, it was then that I saw several chunks of metal and melted alloy sticking out from the layers or pine needles.
Now I know that this next bit of my story might attract differences of opinion but I took some of the articles in order to try and determine that they were definately part of the ill fated Lanc.
I have included a photo of the items, i managed to identify 4 pieces of an inert 4lb incendiary bomb, the like of which LL919w was carrying when it was shot down.
For me it was very humbling to have met John and then visited the site and also payed my respects to the fallen servicemen.
I will keep the parts and book and hopefully be able to pass the story to my grandchildren and encourage the continuance of the knowledge of the sacrifices made by that generation
The book is well worth a read, and the village worth a visit if you are passing..

It's stories like this that I find fascinating and the history behind them so personal.

I was talking with a veteran a couple of weeks ago who made me aware of a very sad story of 3 air crew from a Lancaster that crashed somewhere near Oldendorf/Hamelin Germany towards the end of the war.
Unfortunately they where captured by the Waffen SS and shot.
The 3 SS where also captured by British forces (the veteran I talked to being one).
There is more to the story but to graphic to go into detail.
This has sent me on quest for more information as to what happened to the rest of the crew he told me that they thought the navigator escaped.

It's s

B-Man2

An interesting and touching story . I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for posting