• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Warbird photo you have taken.

Nickb123

Early flight school shot, wearing a couple of recently issued G1s. T-28B. 1300 bhp R1820 engine. It was like strapping on a locomotive. Not a warbird per se, but built as a trainer to familiarize student pilots with the power and handling of pre jet age fighter and attack aircraft. This was 1977 so the Navy used these well into the jet age. Fun times! View attachment 48923

Probably my favorite aircraft.

elfraty

There is no heroism in this. There is only sadness in this. People died needlessly for the stupid war of lunatics with to much power and others responding to it without making their hands dirty. Let those idiots forever fight there stupid battles for themselves and not bother the real honest and simple men of this world with it.The clothes were nice. The equipment was nice. Nothing more to be said as far as I'm concerned. And now I will be cast out of this forum, shunted and expelled for telling some sort of truth..And still I love those jackets.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Well Elfraty......... I expect that you will get some varying opinions on your comments, but as this is a forum that is for the most part, opinion generated, I don’t think anyone is going to throw you out because your opinion may differ from a number of other people opinions
Of course .... this is just my opinion .:oops:

Nickb123

There is no heroism in this. There is only sadness in this. People died needlessly for the stupid war of lunatics with to much power and others responding to it without making their hands dirty. Let those idiots forever fight there stupid battles for themselves and not bother the real honest and simple men of this world with it.The clothes were nice. The equipment was nice. Nothing more to be said as far as I'm concerned. And now I will be cast out of this forum, shunted and expelled for telling some sort of truth..

Undoubtedly attributed to lunatics, as wars always are. But the real, honest, simple men who were dragged into or enlisted to fight in them were heroes in my book. I don’t think anything you’ve said is controversial. Quite normal in the diverse spectrum of opinions/emotions when one dwells on it, if the “idiots” are the war-mongers you mean...

Last edited:

B-Man2

A unique aircraft the Me -262 was the first fighter jet to see combat . It carried the some of the heaviest armament of that period having four 30MM cannons in its nose.
11D755A0-D9D0-4F1C-8844-C65A34F21894.jpeg
E9310C64-039E-44A6-B826-D31AE8FE6FCB.jpeg

elfraty

Undoubtedly attributed to lunatics, as wars always are. But the real, honest, simple men who were dragged into or enlisted to fight in them were heroes in my book. I don’t think anything you’ve said is controversial. Quite normal in the diverse spectrum of opinions/emotions when one dwells on it, if the “idiots” are the war-mongers you mean...
I must admit, you're right. Those men did their honest jobs. But the frustration of so many really strong and good men dying day by day brings to me the feeling of total waste. And that counts for every war out there. Just like all the hunger in the world is totally unnecessary.

Flightengineer

Here’s an early war P-39 Air Cobra that was unique in that the engine was located behind the pilot with a long shaft that went up to and turned the proper. Used by US, UK and USSR forces during the war. View attachment 49422View attachment 49423View attachment 49424

One of my favorite places in this museum. I always take a few photos there, although I already have a lot of them.
My great-uncle flew on such a Cobra being a very young pilot and found only the last days of this terrible war.

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Look Burt, since that time when I was there, the technician near P39 changed his pose ;)

These mannequins there are sometimes so realistic that they I think seem to come to life at night!
Remember the guy who paints the D-stripes on the Mosquito? Or Dullitle and Cole? And what about the German technicians near Me-109? They are very realistic ...

B-Man2

Look Burt, since that time when I was there, the technician near P39 changed his pose ;)

These mannequins there are sometimes so realistic that they I think seem to come to life at night!
Remember the guy who paints the D-stripes on the Mosquito? Or Dullitle and Cole? And what about the German technicians near Me-109? They are very realistic ...
Dmitry
It is a great collection of aircraft as well as artifacts from the history of flight . I could spend days there.

Micawber

I will have to have a rummage through my external photo drives to see what I can find. We used to attend lots of air shows and displays both personally and in connection with the museum and veterans years ago so there ought to be something. I know I was torn between video (talking tape here) and stills plus I would always without fail concentrate on what vets had to say. I'm glad I did when you consider they have passed or are fading fast - while examples of the ironmongers they used are still about.

Micawber

Far from my best aircraft pictures but some of my earliest using the first digital camera I owned back in the 1990's. Taken at the Shuttleworth collection Old Warden while we were there with our own museum sales and promotion stand. Storage card capacity was tiny back then so image quality was nothing compared to today.

So no, not my 'best' but I thought I would pop a random sample up anyway. Straight out of the camera and grainy.

P000828.JPG

P000826.JPG

Shut Biplane.jpg

Shut Old stuff.jpg

Shut Spit IV.jpg

Edited to add:
The following were taken from the VIP enclosure at Flying Legends, Duxford late 90's or so...

B-25 taxi.jpg

Duxford.jpg

Duxford1.jpg

Remember that the camera while expensive back than was very basic by todays' standards.

Attachments

• Shut Germ Biplane.jpg
    Shut Germ Biplane.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Micawber

Few more from the VIP enclosure at Legends late '90's very early 2000's using the first digital camera I owned. Duxford being Duxford you were shooting into the sun and the old digital just didn't like that act...

Duxford6.jpg

Duxford7.jpg

Duxford8.jpg

Duxford11.jpg

Hawker Hart.jpg

P-51 taxi.jpg

And finally...

I can't close this without a photo of one of the two good friends I had with me on that occasion. Len, a much missed ex 8th AF B-17 navigator who we had staying with us at the time.

Len & Mick.jpg