• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best repro G-1 ?

Curahee

Hi all,

I was never that interested in G-1's untill I bought an original at MASH from "the rack" (also see vintage section) and now I have a new "bug" :roll: . What would be a good choice for a repro, I lean towards Lost Worlds but RMNZ also looks pretty nice and what about the sizing ? any and all input is welcome !

Peter Graham

Why not buy another original ? They are much cheaper. If you really want a repro I would suggest looking at pre G-1 types. In my opinion they are more interesting looking, pocket flap shape etc. I hear that John makes a mighty fine M-422.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I like the RMNZ .... nice goat, nice mouton, accurate styling.

In a G-1, I would order my regular jacket size, the sleeves are always long enough.

CBI

I agree with above, no need to buy a repro G-1 with so many fine real examples out there that are affordable. I do agree that Goodwear makes a great WWII Navy jacket. If I were purchase a Navy repro, GW would be it.

Marv

I currently own an ELC G1 and I think it's a very nice jacket, it's a 46 and is a snugger fit that my ELC Star 46.....here's a picture of when it was new.

S5000057.jpg

please excuse the cat, she wanted in on the picture ;)

Curahee

Thanks for the input guys. Original, ELC and RMNZ they are all good options. Original is cheaper and you get the real thing, but what I'm looking for is gonna be difficult.

Near mint G-1, MIL-J-7823(AER) B or early C with a history/some nice USN patches (like the "Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club" patch) late Korea early Vietnam era.

The ELC looks fine (isn't that an M422A Marv?) and the pics on the photo section page 5 (the ludicrous post by Dr. Zak)
of the RMNZ make me think of buying a repro for a daily wearer. Anyhow original G-1's are definitly my new "fix" ;)

BTW do any of you know when the SCOVILL appeared on the paperclip zipper ?

Curahee

deeb7 said:
I like the RMNZ .... nice goat, nice mouton, accurate styling.

In a G-1, I would order my regular jacket size, the sleeves are always long enough.

My original Gregory Sportswear G-1 size 42 fits me perfectly, my (repro) size 40 A-2's also. So does this mean that G-1's have an overall thighter fit than A-2's ? If I for would choose for the RMNZ repro G-1 should I go for a size 42 ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
deeb7 said:
My original Gregory Sportswear G-1 size 42 fits me perfectly, my (repro) size 40 A-2's also. So does this mean that G-1's have an overall thighter fit than A-2's ? If I for would choose for the RMNZ repro G-1 should I go for a size 42 ?

I think that they fit about the same, the difference you are finding is because Eastman seem to size down from original sizes.

You, and I probably take a similar size ... all my leather RM jackets are size 42, and the G-1 fits well. If you were ordering, you could first compare the measurements with your original.

Roughwear

Curahee said:
BTW do any of you know when the SCOVILL appeared on the paperclip zipper ?

I believe it was around shortly after 1968 when the D series was first produced. The early D series jackets still used Conmar zips.

johnwayne

(isn't that an M422A Marv?)

Early G1's were effectively 'leftovers' from the M442a hence same pocket flap shape and similarity - ELC's Golden book does say they specifically went for the early model G1, poss because they are quire rare and arguably a nicer 'cut' (and maybe easier for them to make given their closeness as they do also make the M422a) whereas later models with the slightly curved flaps and more generous cut are those you find quite easliy. If you look at Lost Worlds website they totally are desmissive of the difference although in thier defence, yes the shell has remainded virtually unchanged!!

Wayne

Curahee

Your right Wayne :? , I was looking at the left pocket wich seemed larger like the ones found the M422's but it's not.
That's definitly is a G-1.

hacker

Curahee said:
Your right Wayne :? , I was looking at the left pocket wich seemed larger like the ones found the M422's but it's not.
That's definitly is a G-1.

Only G&F M422a jackets had the two different size pockets. The other M422a jackets had matching size pockets.........There are several differences among M422a makers, and differences from the M422a to the G-1. The pocket shape while scalloped on all M422a jackets is different in shape with every maker.One thing I have found though to be common is that M422a is slightly longer in length than the proceeding G-1.

Hacker

Marv

Thought I post a couple of pics of my original 1968 Martin Lane Co. G1 size 46 as well - this fits like a snug size 44 and all in all a very nice jacket.

G1a.jpg

G1.jpg

Curahee

From what I've seen the MIL-J-7823(AER) is my favorite followed by the 55J14. Both types are very hard to find
in good original condition. Later 7823 models except the A and B version are quite common, but not as nice. Although comparativily cheap they make nice every day wearers. Thing is I don't have the nerves to buy from
e-bay and the likes. On the Aero websit there are also some nice specimens wich they repair for a fair price...
anyway :roll:

Maybe I will find one, but for now my next project will be a good repro, Buzz Rickson makes a fine 7823(AER) as
well as RMNZ. Marv is it possible for you to post some pics of you wearing your ELC and maybe some of the jacket
as it is now ? thanks in advance.

Hacker, thanks for the info what do you consider the biggest difference between the several G-1 specs from 1947
to 1968 ? and is the Talon zipper correct on the ELC G-1 55J14 ?

hacker

Curahee said:
From what I've seen the MIL-J-7823(AER) is my favorite followed by the 55J14. Both types are very hard to find
in good original condition. Later 7823 models except the A and B version are quite common, but not as nice. Although comparativily cheap they make nice every day wearers. Thing is I don't have the nerves to buy from
e-bay and the likes. On the Aero websit there are also some nice specimens wich they repair for a fair price...

Maybe I will find one, but for now my next project will be a good repro, Buzz Rickson makes a fine 7823(AER) as
well as RMNZ. Marv is it possible for you to post some pics of you wearing your ELC and maybe some of the jacket

Hacker, thanks for the info what do you consider the biggest difference between the several G-1 specs from 1947

I don't know what talon zipper is used by ELC. Most 55j14 jackets used a Conmar, though I have seen a Talon on some. 55j14's are certainly less common than G-1's that followed, but it is the quality of most of them that I appreciate. It seems that the most common 55j14 is Pritzker, which to me is the worst maker of all in that period. Still it tends to be nicer than most later G-1's. 55j14 jackets all have scalloped pockets, and almost always have great looking goat. It was also Star's first run of Navy G-1 jackets and their leather is usually as nice as you can find on any in that period. 7823(AER) models that followed are not really all that hard to find, I would guess they are more common than the G-1 A model which had a short run from what I believe was only two makers, R.Edwards, and Foster. The AER series was where you saw the change in pocket flap design, and also the end of USN stenciling on the back of the collars. All of these jackets have small differences, like A-2's that most would not notice. For example, liner colors run all over the place, and the waistband knits can be slightly varied in weave depending on the maker.....Yes we Navy jacket guys can get just as anal as you A-2 boys.......but not me! :lol:

Hacker

A

Anonymous

Thats no repro, thats a clone! VERY NICE Navy Jacket. IMHO the only Navy Repro worth a shit.

Curahee

hacker said:
Curahee said:

I don't know what talon zipper is used by ELC. Most 55j14 jackets used a Conmar, though I have seen a Talon on some. 55j14's are certainly less common than G-1's that followed, but it is the quality of most of them that I appreciate. It seems that the most common 55j14 is Pritzker, which to me is the worst maker of all in that period. Still it tends to be nicer than most later G-1's. 55j14 jackets all have scalloped pockets, and almost always have great looking goat. It was also Star's first run of Navy G-1 jackets and their leather is usually as nice as you can find on any in that period. 7823(AER) models that followed are not really all that hard to find, I would guess they are more common than the G-1 A model which had a short run from what I believe was only two makers, R.Edwards, and Foster. The AER series was where you saw the change in pocket flap design, and also the end of USN stenciling on the back of the collars. All of these jackets have small differences, like A-2's that most would not notice. For example, liner colors run all over the place, and the waistband knits can be slightly varied in weave depending on the maker.....Yes we Navy jacket guys can get just as anal as you A-2 boys.......but not me! :lol:

Hacker

Hacker thanks for all the info and help :) somehow the G-1 has got a hold on me....and I like it :cool: Frogman
OUTSTANDING !!! (but I would hold my gut in just...a little more if I was posing for the camera ;)

A

Anonymous

Curahee said:
hacker said:
Curahee said:

Hacker

Hacker thanks for all the info and help :) somehow the G-1 has got a hold on me....and I like it :cool: Frogman
OUTSTANDING !!! (but I would hold my gut in just...a little more if I was posing for the camera ;)

But at least he chopped his head off for us. ;)

bfrench

Administrator
airfrogusmc said:
JCs Monarch 422
SNIP

Hi, Allen,

Just saw Wingy's reply to your jacket post - it seems to be in fun - well, at least I hope it is - if anything comes of it let me know.

Back to jackets - I'm #10 on John's list as of yesterday and at least three haven't coughed up any money - got that little kid can't wait attitude now - you know " Are we there yet? Have you started it yet?"

After looking at the Monarch, I'll probably sneak one of JC's past the wife after the new year but I'd prefer a jacket with the front seam over the back and side like the Church - the Church being my Holy Grail.

Cheers,
Bill French